E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently moved from California to Montana. In the process I towed my 330I and when I arrived it was dead. I jump started it and all was good... for a day. Now I have to jump start it everyday. The battery is so dead there's no lights and remote does not work to unlock. I had the battery and alternator tested by Napa auto and was told both were fine. I found out that if I jump and charge the battery it will start fine throughout the day if I'm using it, and if I disconnect the battery overnight and reconnect 24 hrs later it starts and runs just fine. It's all stock with exception of angel eyes and an ipod cord that utilizes the factory 6cd changer wiring. I checked all the angel eye wiring and it is fine. I unplugged the ipod but left the cord plugged in. Both main battery cables seem fine,there was a little battery corrosion on positive terminal but I cleaned it off. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Perhaps something is draining your battery? You jump it, the alternator keeps it charged, and overnight, something that is causing greater than normal battery usage, drains the battery. Using a milliamp meter, disconnect the battery negative ground and connect the meter between the ground cable and the negative battery post. With the engine off (some might suggest letting it sit for awhile before doing this), it may show several milliamps of battery drain. Now, go to your fuse box, and one by one pull the fuses to see if one of them significantly reduces the milliamp drain, perhaps to the area of .5 mA, give or take. Then you'll know which component is causing the battery drain.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I don't have a meter with me so I'll have to get one tomorrow. But I was messing with fuses just now and I noticed when the car is off and locked (with myself in the car) I heard a ticking, like a computer or when a CD freezes playback. And it never stops I left and went back and is still doing it.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
How old is the battery? As a battery ages its ability to hold a charge decreases. Also, deep discharges chemically damage the battery's lead plates. I know napa said the battery is ok, but I have a feeling it's kaput. I doubt that the alternator is the problem as it wouldn't drain the battery when the ignition is off. Buy a digital bolt/ohm/amperage meter. Set it up to read amps. Connect between the ground/negative/earth post on the battery and its corresponding cable. It won't matter which meter wire goes to where, the meter doesn't care. Allow the car to go to sleep (usually 15 minutes is enough time), and check the meter. It should read less than 100ma (0.1 amps). My car reads in the 40ma to 50ma range. If it's higher than 100ma there's something draining the battery.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I plan on doing that today but in the mean time I pulled fuse 50 and 63 to see if it's my fsr and sure enough that sound I was getting stopped. So if it starts right up today I'm sure the fsr is toast. The battery is about 3 years old, it's time for a new one shortly anyway but I don't want to kill a new battery.

·
Secret Asian Man
823 Posts
Another way to diagnose the FSR is if your blower speed is a bit intermittent. Also, one time I was trying to take a nap in my car when the blower would sort of turn itself on and off even with the key out. Replaced with a Behr unit, and the metal tines are way smaller and more numerous. So far so good.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have had two experiences with my fan having a mind of its own. But I removed the two fuses that control the ac and blower and the car started right up tonight no issues. So I'm going to order a new fsr tomorrow. I'm not sure if I'm going to order through bmw or not since the closest dealer is 3 hours away.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
I have had two experiences with my fan having a mind of its own. But I removed the two fuses that control the ac and blower and the car started right up tonight no issues. So I'm going to order a new fsr tomorrow. I'm not sure if I'm going to order through bmw or not since the closest dealer is 3 hours away.

Buy an new OEM FSR. Don't install an aftermarket FSR as they go bad very quickly. Get the part # from www.realoem.com and buy the OEM FSR from FCPEuro. This company has great prices, quick shipping and a lifetime warranty on the partz!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
UPDATE: I was going to buy a new FSR. The car stated fine last night with fuse 50 and 63. I then replaced the fuses and unplugged the FSR. Within the 40 minutes I screwed around with that I went to start the car and it was dead. So I jumped it and left the FSR unplugged to see what happens today. If it starts five then I'll order it. If not then I'm not sure what the problem is. I've heard electric fan resistor can be bad. Other ideas thrown around was the known problem of the SOS mirror with Bluetooth can be the culprit and is a known issue. So I'm try unplugging the electric fan, and if that's not it ill remove fuse 39 for the mirror. Maybe someone else has more ideas.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
The "electric fan resistor" is the FSR! The FSR (aka "hedgehog") provides a range of resistance levels. When the automatic climate control sez "fan speed 6" a specific resistor or set of resistors in the FSR is/are connected to the fan. Older BMWs (and Porsches) had manually controlled fans. My E30 had a 3-speed (4-speed ?) fan. The dash switch "selected" one of the resistors in the resistor pack mounted on the blower.

Btw, a friend of mine had a Porsche 928. The HVAC blower would run at 1 speed only. I told him the resistor pack was bad. We headed to the Porsche dealer to get a new resistor pack. $90! We walked across the parking lot to the BMW parts counter. Same part was $35!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.