E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can you hook a battery charger to the positive and neg posts uder the hood and charge the battery that way, or do you have to hook it directly to the battery?:dunno:

·
Mod Squad
9,629 Posts
Well, there's only a positive lead under the hood, I guess you could use the chassis for a ground, but then you've got no continuity between the negative lead of the charger and the car battery. I'd just plug the charger up to the battery directly it involves the least amount of thinking. :)

·
Registered
266 Posts
you can do that under the hood, but before charging the battery make sure you connect "positive" correct because it have happen to a lot of people that they ACCIDENTLY touch the negative with the positive during the charging .

a friend of mine boiled the dam battery and it was close to explosion . a lot connect serial connection to battery and that is WRONG DURING CHARGING !

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
russ330 said:
Well, there's only a positive lead under the hood, I guess you could use the chassis for a ground, but then you've got no continuity between the negative lead of the charger and the car battery. I'd just plug the charger up to the battery directly it involves the least amount of thinking. :)
I have a neg terminal under my hood, its right behind pos in little compartment where dsc system is. If you look in your manual on how to jump start your car they show this. So if it is charging your battery to jump start it wouldn't it charger your battery by hooking up a chager to these same posts?

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would like to find someone that tried it.The reason I cant just hook it up to battery i have stereo $hit covering the battery cover and would rather not remove everything just to get to battery.

·
Registered
39 Posts
e popa said:
I would like to find someone that tried it.The reason I cant just hook it up to battery i have stereo $hit covering the battery cover and would rather not remove everything just to get to battery.
I have charged the battery using the underhood terminals and it works just fine. There is a negative terminal behind and to the left of the positive terminal. I have a Battery Tender that I leave connected when I don't drive my car for a week or so (like when there's a foot of snow on my driveway!!). No problems.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
poncho said:

I have charged the battery using the underhood terminals and it works just fine. There is a negative terminal behind and to the left of the positive terminal. I have a Battery Tender that I leave connected when I don't drive my car for a week or so (like when there's a foot of snow on my driveway!!). No problems.
Is there a difference between a bat tender and a bat charger or are they the same thing?

·
Registered
39 Posts
e popa said:

Is there a difference between a bat tender and a bat charger or are they the same thing?
They're basically the same thing. The Battery Tender (brand name) is a trickle charger that monitors the level of charge in the battery & reduces the charge rate to a very low level once the battery is fully charged. Its very convenient and I don't have to worry about overcharging or boiling the battery dry. I just connect it up and forget about about.

·
Beware of pwner
1,714 Posts
Poncho,

Do you only use the trickle charger when you store your car, or can it be used everyday to make sure your car is fully charged? Such as, if you work on your lights or stereo alot, can you safely use this so you know your car will start everytime.

Thanks.

·
Registered
595 Posts
e popa said:
can you hook a battery charger to the positive and neg posts uder the hood and charge the battery that way, or do you have to hook it directly to the battery?:dunno:
Absolutely no problem using the under-hood connections. They are directly connected to the battery anyway. I also recommend a charger which monitors the state of the battery and hence controls the charge (as previously mentioned). This will prevent over-charging.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I believe you can use the trickle charger at anytime. With the 'Battery Tender Plus' or the BMW version one, you can conveniently charge your car battery by plugging it to your cigarette lighter as long as it's 'hot' (meaing it's live when you have no key in the ignition).

Personally, I use the 'Battery Tender Plus' with the cigarette ligther adapter. I also use it on my motorcycle. This setup cost me about $42.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Malladawg said:
Poncho,

Do you only use the trickle charger when you store your car, or can it be used everyday to make sure your car is fully charged? Such as, if you work on your lights or stereo alot, can you safely use this so you know your car will start everytime.

Thanks.
It can be used anytime to insure a full charge -- that's the way I use it. It is just a trickle charger though, 1.25 amp maximum, so it may take a while to fully charge depending how much you're using the car electrics. BTW, I have the Battery Tender Plus as mentioned above. Check it out:

www.batterytender.com

·
devGOD
2,361 Posts
what charger is recommend for direct battery or under the hood charging? charging via the cig lighter socket seems like it would take forever at 1.25amp.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts