BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm rolling on 80k in my 2000 323i, non-sport. Suspension is all stock.

My steering angle sensor and control arms need replacing and in a couple weeks I have time when I'll be able to send it to the shop for a few days so I'm planning on doing some simple suspension upgrades--and as cheaply as possible, but I still want a bit of an improvement in ride quality. No swaybars for now... sadly.

Here's what I'm planning on using at the moment:

-Koni FSD/Eibach ProKit
-ECS Tuning Level I Suspension Rebuild Kit
-Rogue Engineering RSM's

I'm looking for advice on four things:

1. Should I drop the extra cash for tie rods? (Probably just getting the Level II kit at ECS without sway bar end links--though the kit says "This kit is for customers who have installed coil-overs that came with sway bar end links.")

2. Are front strut mount replacements necessary for a daily driver?

3. Do I need to snag RTAB's while I'm at it?

4. Would it be worth the extra money to get Powerflex 66mm FCABs than to just use the Meyle HD ones in the kit?

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Why do you feel you need to replace the steering angle sensor? Unless it is damaged/non functioning, you shouldn't have to replace it.

Don't replace tie rods unless damaged/worn. You will not feel any difference between old functioning tie rods and new tie rods.

Front strut mounts do not need to be replaced unless worn/damaged but you may as well as preventative maintenance since you will be right there installing shocks/springs.

At your mileage, RTAB's would probably be good to replace but most people replace when there are symptoms of worn RTAB's.

Unless you do "spirited driving" you wouldn't feel the difference between the Meyle and Powerflex other than the added NVH with the Powerflex.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My DSC has been out for almost a year now--so that's my reason for getting the steering angle sensor replaced.

I'm not knowledgeable at all regarding suspension systems except what I've seen from glancing under my car and what I've read here. I don't know if my tie rods are worn or how to determine if they need replacing. At the moment there's no indication that they need replacing, but I'm looking to do preventative maintenance when it's worth my money since the car's going to be worked on in the area.

My front strut mounts sound like they'll be replaced since it may be a worthwhile preventative measure.

The RTABs aren't too expensive either, so I'll get those done as well.

Thanks for all your suggestions and input; any more info is quite welcome and appreciated.

·
Registered
314 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just got an estimate from the BMW dealership that I usually use in town. I'm usually pretty happy with the cost of the repairs they do, but this seems a little steep to me. Anyone want to throw their thoughts in here? I'm also torn about doing RTABs--I don't have any idea if mine are in need of replacement or not. I'm also tempted to do at least the rear shocks/springs/rear shock mounts on my own... I just don't have a good jack.

These prices are only for labor
replace rear coil springs $234.00
replace front lower control arms
with bushings $297.00
replace front strut assembly $324.00
W/strut mounts
replace rear strut mounts $135.00
replace rear trailing arm
bushing front position $270.00
alignment $99.95

total $1359.95

Yikes. $270 just to replace the RTABs?

·
Vendor
13,155 Posts
I'm rolling on 80k in my 2000 323i, non-sport. Suspension is all stock.

My steering angle sensor and control arms need replacing and in a couple weeks I have time when I'll be able to send it to the shop for a few days so I'm planning on doing some simple suspension upgrades--and as cheaply as possible, but I still want a bit of an improvement in ride quality. No swaybars for now... sadly.

Here's what I'm planning on using at the moment:

-Koni FSD/Eibach ProKit
-ECS Tuning Level I Suspension Rebuild Kit
-Rogue Engineering RSM's

I'm looking for advice on four things:

1. Should I drop the extra cash for tie rods? (Probably just getting the Level II kit at ECS without sway bar end links--though the kit says "This kit is for customers who have installed coil-overs that came with sway bar end links.")

2. Are front strut mount replacements necessary for a daily driver?

3. Do I need to snag RTAB's while I'm at it?

4. Would it be worth the extra money to get Powerflex 66mm FCABs than to just use the Meyle HD ones in the kit?
Thanks for thinking of ECS Tuning!

With everything that you are describing, you might want to consider our Level II kit, this will help eliminate any concern, while at the same time giving you the piece of mine knowing it has been done!

Also something to note, that both our Level I & II MEYLE HD kits come with FREE Shipping!

We also offer the Koni/Eibach Pro Kit to help complete your job!

At 80k your front strut mounts should be good to go still.

Since you will be in there you might want to consider the Rear trailing arm bushings, however they are not 100% necessary at this time from what you've said, and your millage.

If you would like shoot me a PM and I can create a custom link specifically for your needs. Here is one with everything you have talked about thus far...

Click HERE for more information.

Please let us know if you have any questions! Feel free to shoot me a PM or email.

Best,
Joe

1 - 7 of 7 Posts