BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My dealer has a 04 M3 coming in with the only option being leather interior. My questions are:

1) Are the seats completely manual or do they have some power features?
2) Bi-xenon is an option, does that mean the base car doesn't have single xenons?

I'm drivng a 01 330Ci right now with power seats, xenon, etc. It would kinda suck to give up the xenons and seat memory features.

But the extra 100hp should make up for it :D

·
Registered
179 Posts
standard M3 is delivered with power seats always !

Bi-xenon or xenon is option (in pack or stand-alone).... so the standard M3 will have normal lights :(

I would not buy it..... there are so many usefull and intresting options like the NAV, xenon, smg, ...

·
Banned
2,938 Posts
Power seat is not standard on M3 coupe but standard cab, Power seat is optional as one option or with pre pkg. Leather seat is also not a standard option, it comes with nappa leather with cloth insert, and full nappa leather is incl. in pre pkg or as one option alone.

p.s. Also Bi-xenon is not standard, stock headlight is not Xenon!

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
DO NOT GET IT. If you can afford that M3 and want to buy it, why not order EXACTLY what you want. Adding Xenons later on will cost the same if more and be a hassle and adding powerseats later will just be a ***** to find the seats.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the feed back. The car does have the leather option, but that's pretty much it. I at least wish it had xenons. I already have plans for Recaro custom seats (I work in the automotive aftermarket industry), WORK or BBS wheels, suspension upgrades, etc.

My ideal car would be a base with xenons, since I plan to make lots of upgrades. This cars front leather seats will pretty much go to waste since they'll be replaced by custom Recaro's almost immediately

Are there any "real" weight savings without the premium package?

·
Registered
836 Posts
honestly i dont think you can aford an m3 dude, i mean whats the pint of having the car with any options? You need sunroof, xenons, and premium. Add this stuff and get it dude!!

·
Banned
424 Posts
gotta get smg

·
www.piratecove.org
3,706 Posts
its a judgement call, but 'my m3' would need bi-xenon, sunroof, leather/power.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Get what you want if it is a no option low option car don't let opinions sway you. Some of the same people that will tell you that you need to max the option list out would be the same people begging for BMWNA to get the CSL, counterintuative eh?

One thing you might try is since this might be a slow car to move due to the spec you might wanna see if it sits on the lot, then make a deal on it. It almost sounds like a customer spec car, then they backed out, because most dealers load up their M3 allocations, not preordered, since they can always sell them loaded and it increases their profit, profit on options alone on an M3 can be close to $1,200!

Vandy

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
ilovebmw said:
honestly i dont think you can aford an m3 dude, i mean whats the pint of having the car with any options? You need sunroof, xenons, and premium. Add this stuff and get it dude!!

That's your opinion bud, but there's a S500 and NSX in my garage that say otherwise, plus there's my wife's SLK32, but who's counting.....you're right, I can't afford a M3 :rolleyes: personally I see the M3 as a sports car and don't need all the plush extras, for that I have the S500 :)

To others who contributed intelligently, I appreicate your responses. If I can strike a good deal on this car, I'll pickup it up. Ilitig8 has a good point, it's probably a canceled customer order, and not many people want a base M3. Like my NSX, I do plan on modding the M3 and tracking it. So who knows, maybe there's a descent weight savings in this version versus M3's with PP, Navi, etc.

SMG is very cool, but I'm old school....gotta do the shifting myself :D

·
Registered
182 Posts
SMG adds 10lbs

Moonroof adds 40lbs in a bad spot effectively raising the car's center of gravity so if you don't need one you should not get one...

Power seats add 7lbs each seat

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
SmurfM3, thank you sir, that does help. With the addition of my Recaro's, lighter exhaust, and some minor trimming, it's possible to lower the curb weight by 100lbs compared to a well optioned M3. Not bad at all!

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Wolverine said:
SmurfM3, thank you sir, that does help. With the addition of my Recaro's, lighter exhaust, and some minor trimming, it's possible to lower the curb weight by 100lbs compared to a well optioned M3. Not bad at all!
I think you should definetely hop on this deal. I have the premium package and to be honest if I didn't I wouldn't miss the power seats or the moonroof much when taking into consideration the driving experience of an M3. I never even use my power seats considering noone drives my car except me, I avoid valet parking at all costs as well so the seat pretty much stays in the same position all the time. This is all irrelevent anyway if you plan on installing recaros of course. The Bi-xenons I would probably miss but if you are getting a significantly good deal on this car you can always retrofit HIDs later on.

·
Registered
75 Posts
You should be able to get the car ~3200lbs fairly easily. Starting with a base M3, take out the M mobility kit, add light weight 18s, light weight exhaust, light weight battery, seats and a few other odds and ends and you should be well on your way.

Also if a good track car is what your looking for don't forget the Lotus Elise will be here soon, a almost "nothing extra" car. Its the best handling car in the world with the power to weight of the M3 and ~8000 less than the M3 you are looking at.

As for the SMG, I am a dyed in the wool clutch pedal guy and have a non-SMG car BUT if my primary focus for the car was track the SMG would be a no-brainer. There is few things more satisfying than a well executed heel/toe shift well except maybe lower lap times, which unless ones name is Boris Said or Hans Stuck the SMG is likely will result in just that. Having driven a SMG on the track I can say I was immediately faster, that said I still chose the manual clutch car for a daily driver. The SMG weight penalty is ~17lbs.

For the M3 at the track I would suggest above the weight saving bits, in no particular order:

1. PSS9s
2. SSK and Redline if no SMG
3. light weight 18's with 265s all around to balance the understeer
4. 4/5 point harnesses
5. sways
6. 4.10 rear end gear
7. brakes (minimum pads and fluid as a minimum, if cash isn't an option then Brembo BBK) M3 brakes are GREAT for the street but is probably the greatest limiting factor on most road courses)

I personally wouldn't bother with engine mods until I had done all of the above, the S54 doesn't tune cheap or easy and the dyno numbers are less than impressive!

Vandy

·
yuppie racing
1,919 Posts
the M3 is a great car to have, all those extra features not being added will not put a negative impact on your driving experiance, which is what the M truely is about.

you might get some people who will look at your car and question why you have no moonroof or xenon's etc. but frankly do you really care what they think?

It comes down to, what do you find that you need is most important when you drive. If the car is lacking something you
REALLY REALLY want than dont comprimise, otherwise enjoy it.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Wolverine said:

That's your opinion bud, but there's a S500 and NSX in my garage that say otherwise, plus there's my wife's SLK32, but who's counting.....you're right, I can't afford a M3 :rolleyes: personally I see the M3 as a sports car and don't need all the plush extras, for that I have the S500 :)

To others who contributed intelligently, I appreicate your responses. If I can strike a good deal on this car, I'll pickup it up. Ilitig8 has a good point, it's probably a canceled customer order, and not many people want a base M3. Like my NSX, I do plan on modding the M3 and tracking it. So who knows, maybe there's a descent weight savings in this version versus M3's with PP, Navi, etc.

SMG is very cool, but I'm old school....gotta do the shifting myself :D
thats cool bro you got some nice cars in your garage, and im sure you areproly twice my age and now what you are doing. Well i didnt mean to affend you in any way , i was just giving my opinions....BEST LUCK

·
Registered
726 Posts
you could always talk to the dealer about factory-fitting xenons on to the car before you buy it....they may do this if you have a good, cooperative dealer.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts