E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some help

Abused daily 2002 e46 m3 92xxx miles

When driving on 3rd gear or higher car drives normal. But when accelerating from the dead stop, I can hear banging noise coming from underneath back seat.
If I accelerate really slow, there's no noise. But it's getting worse and worse

What it could be ? Bad CV JOINT ?

·
Registered
589 Posts
Need some help

Abused daily 2002 e46 m3 92xxx miles

When driving on 3rd gear or higher car drives normal. But when accelerating from the dead stop, I can hear banging noise coming from underneath back seat.
If I accelerate really slow, there's no noise. But it's getting worse and worse

What it could be ? Bad CV JOINT ?
Guibo replacement not unusual at that mileage/age.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Is it just a thump or more rhythmic like a rotating part?

If more like a thud or knock it could be the subframe/rear axle carrier tearing from the unibody. Very well documented issue on the e46 platform, especially on molested versions.

If it's the rotating variety, like the others said above, perhaps the csb or other driveline parts.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
kaboom28
I haven't checked bearing yet, i hope to work on it Friday night.
kids, wife, work.

SloopJohnB
many hours on track + i had to use it for work, many times was driving fully loaded ( obo 300lbs)
How confident do you feel about it ? You are 2nd person saying Guibo

Brewtus79
Im sure its rotating.
more rpm= faster knocking
I am familir with subframe damage noise, had that issue on my mustard (phonix yellow, RIP :cry:), On this one its all reinforced

·
Registered
296 Posts
Glad to hear about the reinforcement. If it favors the rear I lean towards the csb. It is tough to inspect with the exhaust and heat shield, but is doable.

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
7,468 Posts
Center bearing. Thump, thump thump. Worse and harder the more you push the accelerator.

You should be able to feel it with you hand on the transmission tunnel while accelerating.

·
Registered
2002 BMW 540Ti, 2004 BMW 330i ZHP
71 Posts
CSB, an while in there you get to upgrade flange exhaust bolts, an take a good look at the rear most U joint, my xi wagon wiped out two CSBs due bound up/flat spot U joint

·
Registered
71 Posts
I believe you have a CV joint an done know how to determine its play

·
Registered
589 Posts
kaboom28
I haven't checked bearing yet, i hope to work on it Friday night.
kids, wife, work.

SloopJohnB
many hours on track + i had to use it for work, many times was driving fully loaded ( obo 300lbs)
How confident do you feel about it ? You are 2nd person saying Guibo

Brewtus79
Im sure its rotating.
more rpm= faster knocking
I am familir with subframe damage noise, had that issue on my mustard (phonix yellow, RIP :cry:), On this one its all reinforced
Not confident at all about guibo in this particular case. It's just a matter of arresting all the usual suspects....LOL. I had mine replaced under inspection; it wasn't acting up but perhaps user bias...I felt the driveline was more responsive during shifts, downshifts, etc. The guibo itself looked ok with a few surface(?) cracks between bolt holes, but who knows how it reacted under stress.

·
Registered
71 Posts
On the quibo, replace it while there as I believe rubber get hard an can introduce a little vibration at red lights

·
Registered
6,203 Posts

·
Registered
2005 330xi Auto, 2006 330ci Vert Auto
363 Posts
When you replace that, consider replacing the center support bearing also. If it hasn't been done, it's probably time given the state of this guibo.

·
Registered
296 Posts
That guibo is toast. Thanks for reporting back w the results. Like others have said, have a look and/or replace the csb. Could save save some rework down the road.

I replaced the guibo and csb on my 330xi last year and now regretting not changing the driveshaft as well. I get a little howl when first driving in the morning at low speeds and a slight vibration at 30 and 60 mph. I didn't notice either symptom prior to the csb/guibo replacement.

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
7,468 Posts
What's NOT mentioned is checking the U Joints and the C.V. joint at the back.
If EITHER has any bind, the above often is the end result.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Picky. Noise may or may not be from underneath back seat, but is perceived to be from underneath the back seat. It certainly appears from pics that guibo is toast. Sound travels, it could also be the cab is making noise that appears to be from behind the center console.

·
Registered
6,203 Posts
Our ears do a very good job of echolocation, and under the console is miles away from the back seat. It's interesting to know why.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts