E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
03 325i (4d)

left xenon wouldn't turn on once in 3 times, worsening with time. Most of the cases would come on in a few minutes. I swapped bulbs and problem disappeared for several weeks after which the problem resurfaced on the left side again. How can i check if the problem is in the ballast or ignitor?

i guess i can always swap the ballasts, but i'd rather not.

Thanks a bunch!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had issue and did the swap and problem always occurred on the same side. I replaced the the ignitor and never had the problem since.

FYI the ignitor is in the headlight housing. You have to remove the whole lamp assembly to get to the ignitor. good luck.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Same issue happened to me. Passenger side light would work some times, not others. Took the headlight assemblies apart. First swapped the bulbs. Problem did not follow. Next swapped the ballasts, again problem did not follow (good thing cause they are EXPENSIVE). finally swapped the ignitor and the problem did move from passenger side to driver side. Ordered a new igniter for around $80 and problem solved.

Good Luck

·
Shifting
30,378 Posts
03 325i (4d)

left xenon wouldn't turn on once in 3 times, worsening with time. Most of the cases would come on in a few minutes. I swapped bulbs and problem disappeared for several weeks after which the problem resurfaced on the left side again. How can i check if the problem is in the ballast or ignitor?

i guess i can always swap the ballasts, but i'd rather not.

Thanks a bunch!
If you don't want to do this then just leave your car the way it is. :tsk:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Having the same problem with my passenger side headlight. When I turn on the lights only the driverside comes on, I have to turn the lights on and off twice to get the passenger side to turn on.

Can anyone save me the time on a search and tell me where replacement igniters are purchased from? Besides the stealership.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.