BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my outer ball joint for the front control arm is very loss. I was wondering if i can just press out the ball joint and replace it like all e36??? I hope i don't have to replace the whole control arm, cuz i just replaced the control arm bushings and that means i'll have to replace the bushing again if i need to replace the whole control arm.

·
Bimmerfest Co-Founder
12,767 Posts
Nope, you have to replace the control arm. While you are at it just replace the bushings with Bimmerworld poly bushings.

Tim

·
Bimmerfest Co-Founder
12,767 Posts
Not that i know of but that would be a great item for someone to build with ball joints that you could replace.

Tim

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah that would be nice. how come the ball joints looked like they are pressed in and we can't just press it out and replace it?

·
Bimmerfest Co-Founder
12,767 Posts
The ball joints are probably pressed in by the factory but cannot be pressed out and pressed in again without damaging the arm? I don't really know, just that the Bentley manual says they control arm ball joints are not serviceable.

Tim

·
Banned
1,414 Posts
the manufacturing process puts the ball in the socket and the control arm metal is then formed/stamped around the ball. Pressing the ball out of its socket would ruin the aluminum that is hold the ball in it's little home.

Robmd: Did you change anything to your suspension that would have caused this? I put lowering springs in mine and i'm not sure if that was the cause of the ball joint failure.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Na, i didn't do anything to my suspension cuz it has the sports package, but i did ran over couple of things before.
that probably did it for my ball joints

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well, just jack up the car and try to wiggle the wheel, if you can move it a lot then it's probably the ball joint.
You can also let someone get under the car while your are wiggling the wheel and he or she can see where the movement is originated, usually the ball joint for the bushing.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Can someone with DSC on their car check the wiring from the button to the harness. Is there a intermediate wire between the button and the main harness? thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts