BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(3) Marketplace - 2003 BMW Series 3 325iT Wagon 4D | Facebook
I have a few posts over the last 5 years and I am not skilled in computer work to repair my AC. The fact that my wife refuses to travel in a 5 spd. weighed heavily on my decision to sell. Yeah it needs someone who is skilled with BMW standard tools and expertise with wiring.

I tried selling on classified last year but was much too high! $15K at FCP Euro gave me a great running 325iT.

At 79 I think it's best to keep JoAnn happy! Hope admins won't dash this post?

Tom

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
A manual e46 is more reliable than an automatic. What's wrong with the ac?

Sent from my S61 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice looking car! Good luck with sale.
A manual e46 is more reliable than an automatic. What's wrong with the ac?

I don't have access to BMW standard tools like 1.4, INPA, etc. What I know is IHKA seems normal and Snowflake button lights up.(probably on standby?) I briefly applied 12V to compressor and began to cool.

Heat, blower fan all buttons respond as they should. My guess is something failed that supplies info to the IHKA it might be more serious like wiring?

Would love for a E46 fanatic buy a good looking great driving wagon for something around $2K, Five years worth of new and used parts would be included! Just completed 50K service.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Maybe it's just low on refrigerant. It's likely to have developed a leak by now. If I was working on your car, I would start with verifying the refrigerant charge by recovering whatever is left. An ac machine will tell you how much was recovered. Add some fluorescent dye and recharge. An evaporator leak will put the dye on top of the transmission. This is often overlooked.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe it's just low on refrigerant. It's likely to have developed a leak by now. If I was working on your car, I would start with verifying the refrigerant charge by recovering whatever is left. An ac machine will tell you how much was recovered. Add some fluorescent dye and recharge. An evaporator leak will put the dye on top of the transmission. This is often overlooked.

Randy, I'm sorry I truly believe it is an electrical problem, I applied 12V direct to clutch solenoid and temps dropped to 45F. Tried applying 12V to the relay and it overloaded compressor. Thinking I may let Bavarian Autosport have a go at it?

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Does your outside temperature read correctly in the cluster? If the sensor is missing, temp will read -40 and ac won't engage.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes I do know about ambient temps problem, it reads 53F in the barn today.

I am almost sure I fried some module when I had fan running at 80-100%.Tried to do a voltage check at the fuse panel, I heard much electrical sounds thinking it was the K bus or GM5?

Almost everything works as it should, just not the AC and gauge illumination only working with light switch.
BAV Autosport reset everything and I hoping cold temps were my AC problem?

The car drives beautiful, has 4 new tires, 2 rebuilt wheels, new battery, all 4 rotors, rebuilt calipers and much power train work as well as suspension work.

A large amount of new and used parts will be included.

I won't allow BAV Autosport to do the repairs as I might be inclined to keep the wagon, their work was good following local BMW refusing to attempt repair?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts