BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 330xi and lately I've noticed that when ever I get over 70 mph I'm getting a really bad vibration on the front right of the vehicle. I had it up on the rack a couple of days ago and took some pictures and somebody told me they thought the "CV Axle boot is ripped on the front inner" I have pictures but I can't upload them here for some reason.

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
26,562 Posts
Usually vibration you drive into and or out of is tire balance.

It's best to have weights go on the inside or outside, or both...and not only on the inside or 'stuck on' in the centerline.

It could be tires ...and check pressures carefully. Many run the fronts much higher than spec and I think that attenuates any imbalance you might have.

·
Registered
457 Posts
As others have said, having the tires properly balanced helps tremendously. The boot(inner), unfortunately, on the cv looks torn. The control arm bushing looks like it's shot as well as not pressed in to the proper offset for an "xi". You might check your ball joints. If the front axles are out of balance, or worn out, they can cause vibrations. Does the vibration stop when braking?
Regards

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I had a Honda with that exact same problem.

Had the problem throughout the life of the tires which were poorly balanced. (Bridgestones).

Put some new Michelins on, presumably properly balanced. Problem completely eliminated.

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,806 Posts
i tell everyone who has this issue to always check wheel/tire balance. even when they insist a shop “balanced” them they can only do so much when the wheel is warped/out of round or tires unable to be balanced.

But since you have an Xi you have a potential other variable, front drive axle out of balance.
seeing the photo, your axle is likely shot from grit getting into the cv joint cage.

I would rotate wheels if possible on that side. if it continues you know it’s only that axle. if it stops, you know you probably can just replace and repack that axle & boot. and see what’s the balance issue on that wheel/tire (be it the wheel or be it the tire).
gl :hi:

·
Registered
2018 Audi S4
6,309 Posts
You definitely have a ripped inner boot so that could be the source. Usually a bad axle will vibrate under acceleration and stop as soon as you let off the gas. Either way the axle should be replaced or re-greased and rebooted. If you replace it don't go cheap, a GKN from FCP will be $250-$300 depending on which side.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,806 Posts
also as you’ll hear from other Xi owners is that AWD adds a few other variables for possible vibration. meaning your just not limited to axle or wheel.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have to agree with jmo69. It is without a doubt a ripped inner boot. (The tire was balanced yesterday so that's not it) I have a picture posted above. I got a price from a Firestone dealer today with an Autozone part that was almost $500! What I haven't mentioned here is that this vehicle has 218,000 miles on it and I will most likely be getting rid of it by the time it hits 250,000 which will most likely be in the next year. That being said I don't want to spend a fortune fixing this issue. I do have a mechanic that I actually bought a car for who is supposed to be taking care of things like this for me but he doesn't have a lift or garage to work in and he's usually hard to pin down when I have a tougher project like this. I do have an option of a place up in Pompano Beach where I can rent a lift and have all the tools I need for $30 hour. Could one of you just send me the links either on Amazon or eBay of exactly what I need to acquire? Regardless of who fixes it I'm going to be the one to supply the parts. From some of the conversations I've already had today it looks like about a 2 hour job on the books.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts