E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Sapote 
#1 ·
replaced the oil filter housing gasket a couple weeks. A lot easier than expected. Also did the valve cover gasket. On both l have a bad set of threads. The thread that is bad on the valve cover is the bolt going in to the engine. I need to know what thread repair size to use and drill bit and tap size! Can anyone help or have anyone done this is it ok??

#2 ·
Pretty sure it's m7 on the valve cover threads. Will need to double check. I did it about 5 years ago.

I've used helicoil on threads for the valve cover (2 of them in the past) and it's still holding fine. On the ofh I've used ez lok on the thread which has a dowel sleeve (this works best as you can still use the dowel sleeve with this method). For the others without dowel sleeve use helicoil.

#3 ·
On the OFHG, I think it is M8 x1.0, but search on it. Before you attempt to install an insert or helicoil, measure the bolt and the depth of the hole and see if you can get a longer bolt from Bel-metric or McMaster Carr.

Which bolt on the OFHG? the top four provide sealing. I tighten these by feel with a 1/4 inch ratchet and a 10m socket.
"Tight is right, any more and its stripped"...

#4 ·
On the OFHG, I think it is M8 x1.0, but search on it. Before you attempt to install an insert or helicoil, measure the bolt and the depth of the hole and see if you can get a longer bolt from Bel-metric or McMaster Carr.

Which bolt on the OFHG? the top four provide sealing. I tighten these by feel with a 1/4 inch ratchet and a 10m socket.
"Tight is right, any more and its stripped"...
It's the top left one I made the mistake of using a drill. Come out one morning to a nice oil leak on the ground and I'm pretty sure I'm leaking oil from my oil sensor on the oil pan that I just replaced. It's gathering oil around the plastic plug.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.