E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi my car idles very bad in netural, its just up and down, i had it pluged in the computer and the codes reset, then it was fine for a few days. but it has come back again. iv readed on here that its a common promble, and want to know whats the best way to sort it, do i have to clean the tb? or clean the mass air flow sensor. any other information would be great as how to fix these promble, thanks

·
Registered
71 Posts
take your intake boot off look for any holes leaks whatever clean your mass air flow sensor and idle control valve and tb if its really dirty that should fix the problem it did on my car .. good luck its not hard at all

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
26,980 Posts
take your intake boot off look for any holes leaks whatever clean your mass air flow sensor and idle control valve and tb if its really dirty that should fix the problem it did on my car .. good luck its not hard at all
And, OP, when you clean the icv, use like a whole can of cleaner until the valve moves freely. When I removed mine just recently...it was dropping idle down to 500, up to 900, until settling in at 700. I just cleaned it and TB...but think issue was prolly more icv than TB...and although I replace elbow...the old one was fine and I still had the surging idle...it's not an emergency, so if you read one of my other recent posts, I suggested that before going down there to do any of this cleaning, that you pick up some parts to replace along the way...like 0-rings, gaskets, etc...

Glad to know there's another '99 328i in NJ besides mine!

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
26,980 Posts
how do you clean the mass air flow sensor?
I believe that 'technically' you'd disconnect battery, unplug MAF connection, unclip clips (don't lose them...some have)...disconnect clips on air filter housing to gently get MAF off.

Spray with lots of MAF cleaner...and let it dry thoroughly. Don't bother with q-tips or the like...just use lots of cleaner...and DO NOT DROP MAF...very delicate wires inside. Also, search, you'll find many more detailed diys here.

You'll find MAF cleaner at auto parts store. Oh, you might use a plastic safe cleaner in electric connections too...and let them dry well also.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the help, could ya tell me how to remove the lcv from my e46, 316i modal, not to sure how to do it, if theres any link or anything that would help, please post thanks.

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
26,980 Posts
thanks for the help, could ya tell me how to remove the lcv from my e46, 316i modal, not to sure how to do it, if theres any link or anything that would help, please post thanks.
I don't know if there's a diy for your model, but hopefully one of the many diys on this will help you. Don't rush in to just clean icv though...plan the trip thoroughly...get the parts, and replace everything you can in the neighborhood...as in TB clean/gasket, disa cleaning, replace elbow?

Crib notes is take out air box, move ps reservoir (don't disconnect), work down air intake tube behind MAF (easy with MAF!) Depending on TB, you may, I believe, have to remove TB cable (I did) or some other mechanism.

There are diys...every little thing seems to have its own technique, you know.

Lots and lots of cleaner for ICV...think I went through a whole can, if not a little more...and you'll want more cleaner for other things too.

Have fun!

Doug

1 - 10 of 10 Posts