E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've all seen the fast and the furious, that first race where they line up and the exhausts shoot flames (thats probobly just a spark plug wired up tho)

I've seen in several videos where the car actually does have like a burst from the exhuast

My question is this, what is that little burst/explostion?
Is it bad for the car?
how can i do it?

·
TX Dinan 3
796 Posts
now if you want afterburers installed lol.....thats a dff store, had them on my tahoe

·
TX Dinan 3
796 Posts
system i ran on my tahoe was the following. buy the water pump and tank for the windshield washers for a car. hook them up to a toggle or push botton switch so when its on it spray rubbing alcohol from the tank to give the system a boost. drill in and have a wired spark plug so that the rubbing alcohol sprays though the spark mixing with the gas to ignight it

·
wah wah wah
2,618 Posts
TX330ci said:
system i ran on my tahoe was the following. buy the water pump and tank for the windshield washers for a car. hook them up to a toggle or push botton switch so when its on it spray rubbing alcohol from the tank to give the system a boost. drill in and have a wired spark plug so that the rubbing alcohol sprays though the spark mixing with the gas to ignight it
that should me a DIY :lmao: :lmao:

got any pics of it:dunno: :dunno:

·
Registered
128 Posts
Backfiring is caused by running too rich(too much fuel) hence causing back fires.

·
call me kev :D
5,532 Posts
TAZ said:
Backfiring is caused by running too rich(too much fuel) hence causing back fires.
yup.. the unburn gas exits the exhaust and combusts hence the flames. I believe this happens to cars that are using nitrous, i can be wrong about this part tho :dunno:

·
Registered
128 Posts
Yes and No ! hehehee !
Basically any car that has a very very good flowing straight pipe(exhaust system) that is very rich in fuel, no matter NA, NOS, Turbo Charged, SuperCharged whatever it is, can still back fire.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I'm pretty sure it happens between downshifts too when the fumes get pushed out real hard when the revs jump up. I hear it is also unburnt fuel catching on fire when leaving the exhaust pipes.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Again ! Yes and No !
It can happen both in acceleration and down shifting.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Dunno if it's true or not but you can also get misfiring systems for turbo cars to combat turbo lag - apparently when you let up on the gas, instead of the turbine slowing down, some more gas is burnt to keep the turbo spinning. I'm sure there are more highly technical webpages out there on the subject :)

Anyways all i know is that the EvoIII in Initial D had one :)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Atlas said:
Dunno if it's true or not but you can also get misfiring systems for turbo cars to combat turbo lag - apparently when you let up on the gas, instead of the turbine slowing down, some more gas is burnt to keep the turbo spinning. I'm sure there are more highly technical webpages out there on the subject :)

Anyways all i know is that the EvoIII in Initial D had one :)
I saw that too Stage 2 right!

·
Registered
21 Posts
andtwo said:

I saw that too Stage 2 right!
2nd stage yes :thumbup: also third :) I read somewhere that 4th stage will be made...now that would be really cool :)

About the misfiring sistem...if i remember correctly thats the stuff they use on rally cars. During shifting more gas is burnt to keep the turbine spinning which causes fllames to shoot out of the exaust. Becouse of the noise it maked drivers call it "Bang Bang" :) They also replace turebines after every race so i guess that thing doesnt doo the engine werry much good:tongue:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Moongoose said:

2nd stage yes :thumbup: also third :) I read somewhere that 4th stage will be made...now that would be really cool :)

About the misfiring sistem...if i remember correctly thats the stuff they use on rally cars. During shifting more gas is burnt to keep the turbine spinning which causes fllames to shoot out of the exaust. Becouse of the noise it maked drivers call it "Bang Bang" :) They also replace turebines after every race so i guess that thing doesnt doo the engine werry much good:tongue:
Yeah i think that they just use that system in rally cars so its not that well known probably because of reliablity issues we don't see it that much on production cars!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts