BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked at the settings for my car that I could have programmed and could not find the setting that sets the OBC back to its prior display after doing the obnoxious 37 degree F warning on cold days. I could have sworn I saw that the OBC could be set to return to the prior setting (like the clock) after doing this "beep" warning. I had my 04 ZHP in to the service dept this week to do some other programming and asked about it and the service rep gave me the "Homer blink". Am I nuts or did I see that optional setting someplace? I was searching for settings about a week ago and looked at so many sites that I forget where I saw it..

·
Banned
117 Posts
When I had my alarm activated I requested this very thing...to have the display go back to what it was on before the temperature blink.

I saw that setting in a listing as well (http://bmwnation.com/tech/glossary/tech_carkeycfg_1999.html) which is why I requested it. The service department said they "tried several things" but couldn't get it to work the way I wanted. They concluded that it wasn't possible.

I have a 2003, BTW.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
It's not possible as a setting.

However, if you press the OBC button while it is still flashing you can return to your previous screen.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My '04 does return to the previous setting after flashing the temp warning. This was not the factory default; the dealer re-programmed (for a fee, of course)

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
It's not possible as a setting.
WRONG! ask your dealer to correct it for you, or find another. i had mind corrected. and for this guy(james2538), do us all a favor and educate yourself before you make such bold statements. you only end up looking foolish.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, I thought I had read that this setting is possible. My service guy at the dealership had never heard of it. I'll try the other dealer in town.
Already know to hit the OBC button on the stalk but if it can be set to automattically go back to the prior display, the better.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Maybe that should hold true for everthing? I vote that all buttons on the steering wheel be removed because it's lazy to not reach over to the radio to change stations or volume. Remove the electric seats and replace all of them with manual seats again. It's lazy to have electricity do what you can just as easily do with a handle in front and sides of the seat. No more key fobs with remote lock and unlock, you have a key and a place to put it, right? Unlock your doors with the key because it's lazy to unlock you door from 15 feet away. Power assist brakes should also be eliminated because it's lazy to have a pump help you push the brake pedals. Same goes for power assist steering.
The reason, I want it to go back to the original display is because like 90% of people out there, I already know it's getting cold outside. I just got in the car, the heater is on, I know where I live, there are no leaves on the trees, etc. You only have a few seconds to push the OBC button to return to the clock. If you are doing something like,,, ummm, driving, and you don't get a chance to push the button, then you have 4 button pushes to make to get back to the clock.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
WRONG! ask your dealer to correct it for you, or find another. i had mind corrected. and for this guy(james2538), do us all a favor and educate yourself before you make such bold statements. you only end up looking foolish.
I was never aware of this. Learn something new everyday.

I was going off of this site (see below) and never saw it as a programable option so I assumed that it wasn't possible.

http://www.bmwnation.com/tech/glossary/tech_3carkeycfg_01.html

Judging by you recent join date and low post count you haven't contributed very much to this forum. Perhaps you should take a more friendly attitude to those that strive to help others on the board. Maybe sometimes I am wrong with information I post. I do, however, try my best. I do not mind people coming in after me and correcting something I have typed. What I do mind is people being blatantly rude about correcting.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I was never aware of this. Learn something new everyday.... What I do mind is people being blatantly rude about correcting.

:thumbsup:
sorry for coming off so rude. i guess i should practice what i preach. now i feel foolish.. again, very sorry.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
sorry for coming off so rude. i guess i should practice what i preach. now i feel foolish.. again, very sorry.
No problem man! I read your post in OT about changing E46fanatics. I like your ideas and hopefully we can help make this board a better place (not that it's not now :)) Thats why I love the members forum :shhh:

Now I need to go ask my dealership about changing that beep. :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts