BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The "back shelf" is the best way to describe it (i know there's probably a proper term for it, but it escapes me) -- but anyway the shelf behind the back seat underneath the rear view mirror where the back speakers sit...

it is now squeaking like Mickey Mouse back there everytime i make a sharp turn. i've been back to investigate and it seems that this material is some cheap Styrofoam / plastic...

at any rate, what can i do to fix this?

has anyone had the same experience and any recommendations?

Thanks all.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
man, i could really use some help / advice from those who have any good ideas / or have been through this...

can anyone help?

thanks

·
Banned
117 Posts
Do you have fold down seats? There are many sources of squeaking if you do, like the latch, the plunger next to the latch, and the plastic molding around the opening.

·
Registered
90 Posts
The fold down seats +2... I intalled the DICE ipod unit and I ran wires through the fold down seat cracks... sounds like mickey mouse over any large bump. Only way to fix is to roll the sleeves up and examine whats goin on. Use foam, rubber, whatever you need.. thats what i plan to do when it gets warmer..

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
i have that with my car it was so annyiong then i went into the bakcand my father and i checked the suspension and then rubber piece was like messed up so we took it out and put like a good rubber the would strengthen and tighten it good and then we drove it the suspension was actually smoother but the squek is still there but not as bad as before

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for all the input, please keep it coming...

i guess i may take it into the dealership to see what they say (i figure i might as well since i've got my Inspection II coming up).

·
Banned
117 Posts
Step 1 is to fold the seats down and see if the squeaking stops. If so then try putting felt on the spot where the plunger touches the seat (next to the latch). Then try putting felt on the molding ledge so that it fits tighter when the seat is closed.

If the squeaking doesn't stop when the seats are down then maybe you have to look at the back deck somewhere instead. Seat belt tensioners, speakers...there's a lot up there.

If you can have someone else drive while you sit in the back that can give you a clue also.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts