BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 330i, but I didn't buy the option of having fold down back seats. Anyone know anything about how to get the fold down back seats. I'm new to this, so any helpful and somewhat reliable information is fine, thx

·
Secret Asian Man
885 Posts
i'm not sure if you can retrofit folding backseats, because there is a switch that you pull from the trunk to fold them down, even if you can, i'm not sure if it would be very cheap at all...

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Pretty much anything is possible but this particular project will be extremely difficult! Sedans w/o fold-down rear seats are quite a bit stiffer structurally than ones w/ fold-down's. This is because the body structure, read: steel, runs thru the back of the rear seats. To retrofit fold-down rear seats you have to cut away all those steel.

·
Registered
968 Posts
No way to get the fold down, BUT!

You can easily knock out the ski-pass plate to allow some access between cabin and trunk.

This also help subwfr sounds reach you. I can hear my modest Infinity Basslink juuuust fine.

Search for directions.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what's a ski pass plate? anyway of showing a picture, easier that way...

would you say the car is stiffer and better for drifting if the back seats are not able to fold down?

·
Registered
968 Posts
Blitzkrieg said:
what's a ski pass plate? anyway of showing a picture, easier that way...

would you say the car is stiffer and better for drifting if the back seats are not able to fold down?
If you had the cold winter package you'd be able to fold down the rear seat center armrest and PASS your SKIs through halfway from the trunk. Since you don't have it there is a steel PLATE spot welded over the hole (SKI PASS PLATE).

Since you don't like searching... Take down the trunk liner behind the rear seats. You will see a big O . The hard part is getting something wedged in between the plate and the hole. You will need a hammer and flathead screwdriver. Once you have pierced it, start prying and the remaining spot welds will snap apart ( a flathead crow bar worked great for me here). Then there is a perforated piece of insulation you can simply remove by hand (PULL!).

Then you have access. Mount your sub near the pass and you are good to go (if that was your intension).

No the car is not stiffer w/o rear seat folds. The steel wall behind your seats is a firewall.

You can do it!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hey noflash, what size is that sub you got there in between the seats?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts