BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to change out a my rear wheel bearings. Does anyone have the tool kit that they would be able to sell used or perhaps rent it to me?

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I have to change out a my rear wheel bearings. Does anyone have the tool kit that they would be able to sell used or perhaps rent it to me?
I just ordered the b90 sir tools kit and am planning on doing my wheel bearings this weekend. If you can wait until Monday or Tuesday (assuming everything goes as planned with the wheel bearing DIY) then I could rent the tool out to you.

For anyone else who is interested as well, I figure I'll make the tool available for rent. Its stupid for all of us to have to buy this for a one-time job. Here is how I'm thinking of doing it (I think someone is doing this with their RTAB bushing tool on here, seemed like a good idea).

You paypal me $260 as a deposit (what it costs to replace the tool). Then you can keep it for up to 3 weeks and send it back. (I'll pay shipping to you, you pay shipping to me, makes things easy.) Once I get the tool back, I'll refund $215. So total cost to rent the tool for 3 weeks is around $50 for you including shipping it back. If you break it, you buy it. If you lose it, you buy it. If you keep it for more than the 3 weeks, then it is $15/week for each week extra.

Anyways I'll make a post up with this after I'm done with my bearings, but I just figured I'd post up here and let anyone needing this in the next couple weeks know, so you don't buy one of these if you don't need one.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Frog -- are you still renting the b90 tool? If so, let me know how to send you some $$$ as I need to do both rear bearings. THANKS!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Since this is so old, I doubt I'll get a response, but what the hell... frog: a bunch of people are looking to rent that tool kit that you have. I encourage you to post it up on AST ( AutomotiveSpecialtyTool.net ) so that it can become searchable in the database. Please let me know if you are interested. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Since this is so old, I doubt I'll get a response, but what the hell... frog: a bunch of people are looking to rent that tool kit that you have. I encourage you to post it up on AST ( AutomotiveSpecialtyTool.net ) so that it can become searchable in the database. Please let me know if you are interested. Thanks!
Read up on your site, it looks like a great idea. If I run out of people on here and over at bimmerforums looking for the tool then I will post it up. But as of now it is just easier to deal with people directly on the forums. Since I started renting it out (about a year and a half ago) I have sent it out again within a couple weeks of getting it back in so the searchable aspect isn't super critical to me right now.

If you are looking to rent, B90 Wheel Bearing Tool is available, click here for rental

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
B90 tools not needed for rear wheel bearing R/R. Not my vids, but props to vid owner. :thumbup:

Part 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKYL9_4mXRI

Part 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKYL9_4mXRI
I'm in class so I didn't listen to the sound, but I saw a lot of tools I've never seen before (and definitely don't own). Are they all home-depot made tools or are those things that they are assuming I happen to have? In either case, considering the difficulty of this job in the first place, I personally would not have wanted to have to mess around with trying to make this work without the B90

·
Registered
11 Posts
be aware...

If you are thinking about doing your rear wheel bearing with "no special tools", BE AWARE! The 2 videos from edz garage are very encouraging and helpful but there are many things through the process that you should keep in mind:

1) To remove the driver's side rear axle, you must drop the exhaust system as well as a "V" shaped bar (cant find the name but you will see it)
2) To get your calipers off, you must decompress the piston. THe rotors have tiny lips that would prevent you from removing the calipers if you dont.
3) You would also need to remove the parking brake system. Make sure you start by loosening the 2 10mm nuts located right under the ebrake lever (pry boot and you will see them)
4) When pressing the bearing in, make sure you use a tool that would apply the preasure to the outer race of the bearing. You will damage your bearing otherwise. Trust me!
When pressing my bearing in, I went really slow and easy using a bearing tool (rental from autozone) that was bearly smaller than the outer race in diameter, and still, the new bearing has a little bit of play... :ben:
5) Know that there is a lot of elbow grease involved... You wont look as cool as Ed
6) When re-installing the hub into the new bearing, do not hit the hub with a dead blow hammer to get it started. This could also damage your bearing.
7) Clean the axle shaft before re-inserting it into the hub.

I will be renting the Sir Tools B90 soon...as soon as I recover from the 2 days working on my car.:thumbup:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Finally done!

Update: I'm done. I stripped all lug nuts on right rear wheel trying to get the hub out using the technique described in the above video. I went to get 5 new lug nuts (free, courtesy of Global Imports Atlanta) but they wouldnt go in...Luckily my BMW shop was able to re-thread all 5 holes for $50 and problem solved. I could have rented a tool at autozone to re-thread the hub but I was too tired.
1 last tip: before pulling the hub out, remove the parking brake as well as the metal plate that goes right behind it. It's only 4 screws and you won't damage/bend it when applying pressure on it to pull the hub away:thumbsup:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Did you end up using B90 tool? Did your Axle come out hub easily? I followed the video, but I could not get the axle out. Then I tried removing the hub with axle in it using the method in the video thinking hub may slide out of bearing and axle and damage the dust shield. I used the parking brake shoe to brace the bearing separator and destroyed the brake shoes. Also damaged the rotor when I used a three leg puller to push out the axle. There was another person who did that here, but I did not read that before I damaged the rotor.

This bearing job turned in to rear brake job...

·
Just Nuts
7,253 Posts
That video is good. But you should only use it as a general guide. The way shown for pressing in the new bearing is incorrect and there's a high risk of bearing damage. As for trying to pull out the hub with the axle still attached, that's way too clever. The guy clearly stated the parking brake was removed. So the video is not at fault for the brake destruction.

·
Registered
29 Posts
To clarify, I also had parking brakes removed. The bearing separator used as as brace was getting pushed back so I used the brake shoes to brace up against the dust shield. Unfortunately the hub did not move and bearing separator crushed the shoes and deformed the dust shield. I did this with little light so I did not see it until too late. I am not faulting the video content other than that i agree the video makes it look easy for novice like me to attempt the job without specialized tools.

I am going to take my 12 year old car to Indy shop as soon as I get the parking brake and rotors replaced.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Did you end up using B90 tool? Did your Axle come out hub easily? I followed the video, but I could not get the axle out. Then I tried removing the hub with axle in it using the method in the video thinking hub may slide out of bearing and axle and damage the dust shield. I used the parking brake shoe to brace the bearing separator and destroyed the brake shoes. Also damaged the rotor when I used a three leg puller to push out the axle. There was another person who did that here, but I did not read that before I damaged the rotor.

This bearing job turned in to rear brake job...
Yea, I destroyed my rotor the exact same way. No real easy way to get that axle out if it is stuck. I took the trailing arm off and took it to a place that had an air hammer and they air hammered it out for me.

Also do be careful putting the new bearing in without the B90 tool. I'm sure you can do it safely somehow, but you need to be sure that you are not pulling it apart (there is a slit in the middle it is actually two pieces). I didn't watch that video too closely but just because something can be done without the proper tool doesn't mean its the best idea. Keep that in mind.

On the other hand if you can pull it off :thumbsup:. I'm going to try and remove my camshafts without the camshaft tool at some point. The reason being though that no one on here is renting out the camshaft removal tool for $60 :tsk:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts