BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Based on my research on this forum, I decided to purchase a set of Axxis Deluxe Organic pads for both the front and rear of my 2002 330i Sport.

I installed the pads right after I purchased the car new. As of today, the pads probably have about 2,000 miles on them. I used anti-squeal compound on the backs of the pads and was careful to make sure they were installed correctly (I’ve installed pads on a number of BMWs and VWs). I have NEVER heard them squeal and they dust VERY little. The slight amount of dust I have seen is a light brown / tan. The pads get an A+ in both these regards.

So what's the problem??? They don't stop as well as the stock pads.

Now I'm hoping someone else here can corroborate my story by having the same sort of problem. If not, I guess I may have a dud set of pads or need some other type of pad.

Oh, I should also admit that I’m an aggressive, fast driver who routinely hits 100+ mph at least once a day during my commute to and from work.

Here's how I remember the stock pads working... when I stepped on the brake peddle, there was an immediate sort of “abrupt” deceleration as the stock pads “grabbed” the disks. Then the car would very evenly slow down. If I pressed the peddle harder, there was a directly proportional increase in the rate of deceleration. I don't remember really ever having to push on the peddle more than moderately to get a very quick rate of deceleration (from any speed). Even after repeated high speed breaking maneuvers, I never noticed any brake fade or other then directly proportional deceleration.

Now here's my experience with the Axxis pads... when the pads are cold, they “abruptly” grab the disks just like the stock pads producing a quick initial rate of deceleration. But as soon as they warm up (from several braking applications) they lose that initial “bite”. They also seem to require more peddle effort to produce the same level of deceleration as the stock pads. The peddle effort required for really quick stops seems to be much higher than proportional. I really have to press hard to get a moderate increase in deceleration rate. Repeated high speed breaking maneuvers seem to cause some fade too.

So, I’m bummed. I’m wondering whether I should go back to the stock pads and live with the damn black soot they produce, try another set of Axxis Deluxe pads or try some other type of pad.

Any insight, similar stories and or suggestion are most welcome.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Joe Ubaldo
Grand Rapids, Michigan

·
moderation in all things
898 Posts
i think it is reasonable to assume that stock pads have better stopping power than axxis pads.

i've also noticed a slight difference in stopping power.

can't have the best of both worlds...

;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies so far.

This is interesting... in all the threads I read (>50), no one mentioned that the Axxis Deluxe pads performed WORSE than the OEM pads in terms of stopping power / feel. If mentioned at all, most say either the performance is the same or better than OEM.

Maybe my experience is not so unusual. Maybe I need to use a different pad.

Any recommendations regarding a near-dustless pad that produces the same stopping power as OEM?

·
...and I'd be all shiny..
1,831 Posts
I noticed this almost immediately after installing the Axxis Deluxe pads on my whip. They definitly dont have the quick stopping power of the stock pads, I giarantee you dont have a set of bunk pads. I've recently noticed a marked decrease in performance of the pads aver the time I've had them. Keep in mind they still stop very well, many people mention that my car has good brakes when they ride, but it does seem to have lost something over the time I've had them installed. Most recently I've noticed a sort of grinding feel when applying the brakes at different speeds and pressures. I'm not sure if this is a prelude to rotor warp, but it has me ready to give EBC Greenstuff or Hawk pads a shot.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
umnitza,

Thanks for the recommendation regarding who I should call for the best guidance regarding the right pads for my car.

Anyone else know an expert I could call or have pads that perform as well as stock and are near dustless?

·
Registered
280 Posts
I agree

There were several times when I went for fast fun drives and expected the brakes to grab better but noticed they did not bite as hard as the OEM pads.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
GhostRider,

I too have heard the grinding sound. I've also noticed my disks have a different wear pattern now that I'm using the Axxis pads. The disks seem to have a bit of pad material embedded in them. I don't remember that happening with the stock pads.

I installed Repco Metal Master pads on my '85 M3. Those pads were terrific once they warmed up. When they were cold though, ****, I had no brakes at all. Pretty scary if you didn't plan for it first thing in the morning. I hear they're hard on the disks too. I had 30,000 on the car when I sold it. The disks seemed to be fine.

Keep in mind guys, our BMWs are know for their fantastic braking ability. We're in steeds that are in a league all their own. I needs those brakes to be working optimally for my driving style.

There's got to be a pad out there that's less "sooty" than the OEM pads and still stops as well as stock.

·
Registered
121 Posts
The truth comes out...........

Thx for all your posts, you saved me the trouble of finding this out the hard way.....on for the quest of the perfect brake pad........

·
Site Sponsor
18,467 Posts
I'm serious about Rob from Mpact.
The guys KNOWS brakes. If he can't help, then you can definitely try other sources, but have him help if he can:D

He's been on the track since he was 10, so he'll probably know a thing or two:D

·
1,831 Posts
Joe Ubaldo said:
GhostRider,

I've also noticed my disks have a different wear pattern now that I'm using the Axxis pads. The disks seem to have a bit of pad material embedded in them. I don't remember that happening with the stock pads.
Joe,
My rotors are alos showing signs of uneven wear and I'm pretty sure thats where the grinding feel is coming from. If I run my had across the rotor these is a spot about 1/4" wide around the rotor that is raised more than the rest of the wear. I'm thinking about getting new OEM rotors(slotted or crossdrilled) and new pads because of this. This is definitly not acceptable for my car :tsk:

·
1,831 Posts
Joe Ubaldo said:
GhostRider,

Do you have contact info for Rob at Mpact? Pass it my way and I'll call him tomorrow.

Thanks!
Umnitza posted his email in a post a little higher up. I've never worked with Rob, but I'm interested in hearing what he has to say. Definitly post anything of interest here:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
when i switched to axxis pads i also upgraded to cryo slotted rotors and goodridge carbon coated ss lines

the difference is more than enough to notice....... much better stopping power in the last half of the pedal and less fade than stock...... the first half of the pedal i would rate as equal to the stock setup but the last half is where you need them the most

1 - 20 of 25 Posts