E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought the axxis brakepads 2 months ago and now I finally installed them and they won't fit. the brake piston will not go back on but it goes on fine if i put back on the stock pads. Any ideas? Did anyone have to shave their axxis brakepads? By the way i have the axxis deluxe pads and i bought them from carl at justbmws.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ahhhh, how exactly do I reset the piston? Just push it down? And yeah the brakepads appear to be the correct size and shape and I also looked up the part numbers. Its the right ones, I'll try again tomorrow when we have daylight.

·
Registered
77 Posts
By reset, Rennsport means to push or force the piston back in until the pads will slide over the rotors again. You can pick up a little tool at the local autostore for about 5 bucks or you can rig something. I've used a piece of wood, anything that can get you a little leverage to force it back in, it can be stubborn sometimes. Be careful of course.

Also, make sure the brake fluid doesn't overflow! If you've refilled it over time you will have too much - the piston will push fluid back up into the reservoir.

·
Registered
688 Posts
get a big pair of pliers and squeeze the piston back into place, that works great without any special tools.. But that is your problem for sure...

John V

·
Big Baller - Shot Caller
359 Posts
spubar said:
I bought the axxis brakepads 2 months ago and now I finally installed them and they won't fit. the brake piston will not go back on but it goes on fine if i put back on the stock pads. Any ideas? Did anyone have to shave their axxis brakepads? By the way i have the axxis deluxe pads and i bought them from carl at justbmws.

I bought the Axxis pads and had the exact same problem on my M3. I only paid about $35 for them, I just said what the phuck and threw them in the trash and reinstalled the stock pads.

I was a little Tee-ed off though, all that work for NAUGHT.

·
St. Louis BMW Fanatic
6,696 Posts
You need to push the caliper back down before you can put the new pads on. Use large pliers or a big C-clamp.

·
Registered
236 Posts
this is why i just paid my mechanic to do this **** for me $40. Cause who knows what kind of damage and headache would i have from this. I dont know cars for s hit.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Not to be too cruel or anything, but people that don't have any clue on brakes should not work on them. The reason I say this is because if install them improperly, you not run a great risk or injuring yourself, but also someone else.

The reason you can't just slip in new pads is because the old pads are worn and thus thinner. As a result, the piston sticks out more and prevents you from slipping the new pads over the disc. Thus the need to push the piston back in the calipers before slipping it over the disc.

·
Big Baller - Shot Caller
359 Posts
vinnymac said:
You need to push the caliper back down before you can put the new pads on. Use large pliers or a big C-clamp.
I have changed many brake pads over the years.

That is not the problem with these pads. They do not fit properly on the mounts, there are notches on both end that are suppose to fit into the metal bracket that the caliper bolts to.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
OldGold1906 said:

I have changed many brake pads over the years.

That is not the problem with these pads. They do not fit properly on the mounts, there are notches on both end that are suppose to fit into the metal bracket that the caliper bolts to.
then u bought the wrong size...i have had Axxis both front and rear on the M3 with no probs installing and no dust...too bad im now running Hawks for other reasons...wish i could have kept the Axxis Deluxe low dust pads

·
Big Baller - Shot Caller
359 Posts
No,

I ordered the right Pads, I must have been sent the wrong ones.

I even emailed the sales guy and made it clear that I had an '03 M3 and I wanted the pads for my front brakes. I guess a possibility is that they were not machined properly from the manufacturer.

But after I had spent about and hour messing around with them, I was pisssed, and trashed them. I didn't want to go through the hassle of returning them and screwing with the vendor.

I now have Porterfield R4-S pads and have NO problem with them.
They installed in no time flat.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts