BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know where the cheapest place to buy them is and are they cheaper than OEM pads?:thumbup:

·
Alpine White
842 Posts
One question though... first of all: I always thought that Axxis and PBR are the same because I ordered mine from www.justbmws.com, and I got PBR Deluxe. But then again, someone said that his box said Axxis on it. :huh:

And for the 328i application at least, I think that the front pads are for the E36. The reason why I say this is cause I got Mintex all around at first, and because of squealing problems, after two months of use, I got the Axxis Deluxe. I noticed that the front pads on the Axxis (PBR), cover a smaller area than the Mintex pads. The Mintex ones were made for the E46. The backing plate is the same shape and size on both, but the pad material is much larger on the Mintex. So I kept the Mintex on the front, and put the Axxis on the rears.

There have been a lot of complaints about squealing though. I did experience squealing with the Mintex, so I switched to Axxis. When I installed the Axxis, I removed the front Mintex, and sanded it (in case it was glazed) and applied the BMW brake lubricant on the backing plates. I applied the lubricant as well on the Axxis pads. Squeal free driving for about 2 weeks, but after about a month I noticed that the squealing comes and goes. I don't know if anyone else noticed similar problems, but that is just my experience. I figure that it's the price you pay to have less brake dust.

·
Steelblue Zim Zimma
601 Posts
DR J, there was no need to sand the break pad at all, I have Axxis on the fron and back no squeaking at all, but did apply break quiet on the m, (Worked well)

Love the Hamann sides I want some my self...

see ya

·
St. Louis BMW Fanatic
7,162 Posts
Dr Jekyll said:
One question though... first of all: I always thought that Axxis and PBR are the same because I ordered mine from www.justbmws.com, and I got PBR Deluxe. But then again, someone said that his box said Axxis on it. :huh:

And for the 328i application at least, I think that the front pads are for the E36. The reason why I say this is cause I got Mintex all around at first, and because of squealing problems, after two months of use, I got the Axxis Deluxe. I noticed that the front pads on the Axxis (PBR), cover a smaller area than the Mintex pads. The Mintex ones were made for the E46. The backing plate is the same shape and size on both, but the pad material is much larger on the Mintex. So I kept the Mintex on the front, and put the Axxis on the rears.

There have been a lot of complaints about squealing though. I did experience squealing with the Mintex, so I switched to Axxis. When I installed the Axxis, I removed the front Mintex, and sanded it (in case it was glazed) and applied the BMW brake lubricant on the backing plates. I applied the lubricant as well on the Axxis pads. Squeal free driving for about 2 weeks, but after about a month I noticed that the squealing comes and goes. I don't know if anyone else noticed similar problems, but that is just my experience. I figure that it's the price you pay to have less brake dust.

Disc Brake squeal has less to do with the brand of pads and has everything to do with the installation. You MUST use anti-squeal compound. I've changed my pads a bunch of times and they NEVER squeal.

·
Alpine White
842 Posts
It is strange that my brakes squeal. I carefully read my Bentley Manual and I torqued everything to specs. And I also used about two packs of the BMW anti-squeal compound. I wonder what the problem is.:huh: :huh: But like I said, it comes and goes. But it's starting to happen more frequently again.

·
St. Louis BMW Fanatic
7,162 Posts
Dr Jekyll said:
It is strange that my brakes squeal. I carefully read my Bentley Manual and I torqued everything to specs. And I also used about two packs of the BMW anti-squeal compound. I wonder what the problem is.:huh: :huh: But like I said, it comes and goes. But it's starting to happen more frequently again.

Try using a different anti-squeal product. I use "Disc Brake Quiet". It comes in a small tube. It's a red paste and you can get it at Autozone or NAPA for about $4.00.

·
2 point five 3 two 3 i
3,922 Posts
vinnymac said:

Try using a different anti-squeal product. I use "Disc Brake Quiet". It comes in a small tube. It's a red paste and you can get it at Autozone or NAPA for about $4.00.
Yup. I just popped in my Axxis a few days ago and used what Vinny quoted above. No squeaking.

·
Modelrater
747 Posts
Make sure you don't put the pads in as soon as you put the anti-squeal compound on. You have to let it sit there for awhile before you install the pads. Maybe about an hour or so. If you put the pads on right away, the compound is pretty much useless.

·
St. Louis BMW Fanatic
7,162 Posts
Conrad said:
Make sure you don't put the pads in as soon as you put the anti-squeal compound on. You have to let it sit there for awhile before you install the pads. Maybe about an hour or so. If you put the pads on right away, the compound is pretty much useless.

Yup, you have to let the anti-squeal paste dry and "set" for a little while until it gets tacky and then install the pads. I usually wait 30 mins or so...and longer if the temperature is below 50 degrees.

·
Registered
46 Posts
How much is it get them installed by somebody?

can anybody please recommend a place in southern california to get it installed. I would do it myself but I'm afraid I'll install them wrong and them have brake failure driving down my big hill.

·
moderation in all things
908 Posts
vinnymac said:

I'll use that next time as well.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts