BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
AW, Natural Brown 330i M-Tech 1 Maint. & Build Thread; Concave ARC8 Fitment inside...

After some progress since ownership I thought I would start a thread documenting maintenance, repairs and upgrades.

I was already on the hunt for my dream E90 M3 or E39 M5 but a recent car accident and over budget house renovation put that on hold so I needed a quick cheap car to daily.

With a very particular color and interior standard I was looking for it was tough finding the right car, with the right mileage and in the condition I was expecting. Nothing was available in North Carolina. I accepted the fact that I had to travel to find the right one.

It's not an M3 or zhp but it's a very clean, low mileage-ish (97k) example of a zsp in Alpine white with natural brown leather and M-Tech 1 option.

So I drove down to Atlanta to pick it up. With maintenance required upon ownership I knew what was needed.

*Specs
-2004 330i ZSP M-Tech 1
-Alpine White w/natural brown leather (rare-ish from what I'm told) sceptical..... Tho
-All stock (evil grin.....For now)

*Maintenance/Repairs done so far
-Cooling system overhaul- all genuine BMW parts
-Oil change with BMW oil and Mann filter
-Air filter
-New headlight assembly
-3k yellow high/drl
-Poly fcabs

*Maintenance to do
-Oil pan gasket
-OFHG gasket
-Rotors, pads all around. Parts already purchased
-Line up some body lines. Some trim, bumper and hood needs adjusting
-Full color correction, PDR and touch up needed

*Plans
-H&R Cup Kit
-Sway Bars
-New suspension/steering refresh
-M3 bushings all things
-Square Apex ARC8 3 concavity 17x9 ET35 with 255/40s
Or
-18x9.5 ET35 3 concavity with 245
-Fender roll/ cut okay with me
-Gloss black kidneys
-Red tails
-Front bumper center section needs painted black
-Rear bumper 'difuser' needs painted black

Drove the 270+ miles without issue.

2004 330 M-Tech 1 in Alpine White w/ Natural Brown Leather by Brandon Smith, on Flickr

2004 330 M-Tech 1 in Alpine White w/ Natural Brown Leather by Brandon Smith, on Flickr

Since I just moved to NC from Kansas City we bought a house, did some renovations and finally moved in December.

Looking great in the new driveway

3k bulbs for drl/ highs

Snow!

Rolled to 100k

Maintenance time

Thirsty

Wut

It's aged well IMO

Needs new tails. Not a fan of the amber

New kidneys will set it off

This color combo.....

That's all for now

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you.

I plan on getting my brakes and oil leaks taken care of on Saturday. I need to do a good degreasing of the engine bay prior.

If I have enough time I'll do the yellow drl/high beam bowl mod. Then I'll get 3k bulbs for the fog's and laminx.

·
Registered
18,800 Posts
Such a nice looking car, the Mtech I holds a very special place in my heart... really set off the e46 looks before the ZHP came out. Seeing those pics of the windows down is making me crave that first warm sunny spring morning where you can just cruise comfortable with the windows down and sunroof open. Can't wait.

Get red/clear/red for the back, please don't do LED's it makes the car look dated with the pre-facelift style light configuration. That and projectors and you will be set :thumbsup:

·
Registered
9,592 Posts
I love natural brown :clapping:

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Me too, but I'm partial obviously.

She needed a cleaning bad so had a quick wash today. My anxiety is getting to me as it needs a correction and full detail. Paint is in great condition it just needs attention. Also the PO used the wrong color touch up in areas that I'll need to wet sand, compound and polish out. Plus a few small dents to PDR.

2017-01-26_03-32-30 by Brandon Smith, on Flickr

·
Registered
678 Posts
My god that's pretty. The interior looks absolutely flawless.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
i would do disgusting things for your interior...
If you do, please clean up as it's rather clean right now.

My god that's pretty. The interior looks absolutely flawless.
Thanks, it surprised me how well it was taken care of. It only needed a quick cleaning and I need to condition the seats.

If I were to flip this car for a profit I don't think I would find another one in better condition or in natural brown.

·
Registered
863 Posts
your E46 is very beautiful.

Leather looks softer than what most of the E46s come with. Whats special with the leather?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
your E46 is very beautiful.

Leather looks softer than what most of the E46s come with. Whats special with the leather?
Thank you.

Not sure of the material used that makes it different from other leather colors but from readings around the interwebs it is a higher quality....Not sure. It is rather soft IMO.

The current tires are making some noise on the front. They are wearing fine but I think it's just an attribute for these Yokohama's. I do a fare amount of highway driving on my commute to work so it's going to progress rather quickly so tires may be sooner than later.

If that's the case then my wheels and suspension are to be at the same time.

I spoke to Apex fitment department yesterday and they assured me of my fitment question regarding the space between the strut tube and inside lip of the rim. I'll have 11mm more room to work with on the 17x9 Arc 8 concave 3 vs 17x9.5. I'm not worried about fender clearance as a roll, pull and trim I'm ready for.

Tires will be 245/40 in a MPSS or Continental DW.

I just need to prepare the wife for some required expenses.....lol

And I don't know why but my sport suspension seems lower than other cars. I need to verify the springs are oe. Thoughts?

Side shot by Brandon Smith, on Flickr

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
I have Michelin Pilot Sport AS/3+ tires in the front and love them.

As far as your suspension, do you know anything about when it was replaced if ever? How many miles are on the car? I have seen stock cars with ZSP suspension in person and think it's a nice drop but then wonder if it's just old suspension and it's sitting lower than normal.

1 - 20 of 117 Posts