E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the dealer yesterday and saw an M3 with 19" Breyton Visions with 275/35 Bridgestone S-03's . It looked awesome. Anyway the guy who runs the performance shop at the dealer commented that the guy who owned the car only used it for a show car and not a daily driver. I am in Houston and he said that the road here would tear the rims up in a New York minute.

Would having more sidewall on the tire or running lower tire pressures help cushion the shock to the rims from potholes? Is anybody doing this? If so, what rim and tire combination?

·
I've got what plants crave.
1,360 Posts
more sidewall, yes. lower pressure no. in fact, I would guess you'd want a higher pressure to stiffen the sidewall so a potholes won't compress it as easily, thereby protecting the rim.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
You want a combination of a lower pressure but not too low. To stiff of a sidewall and there will be no flex and your rim will take the brunt of the hit. Too low a pressure and your sidewall will not reduce the impact at all and your rim will take the brunt of the hit...

Chip-

·
Registered
491 Posts
Pump that pressure. You gotta deal with a worse ride, but atleast you won't damage your tires.

If you want the best of both worlds, get a ferrari. They are made so that they can take 40 or 45 profile tires. :thumbup:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Iv seen tires out there with this thick band around the where it meets the rim.. I think its called a rim protector (go figure).. I think some of the Yokohama tires have them. This is the little I may be able to offer.

·
mi casa @ technik
5,876 Posts
carguy84 said:
You want a combination of a lower pressure but not too low. To stiff of a sidewall and there will be no flex and your rim will take the brunt of the hit. Too low a pressure and your sidewall will not reduce the impact at all and your rim will take the brunt of the hit...

Chip-
you need more psi in the tires to protect your rims

·
Registered
10 Posts
325i-Vizon said:
for pot holes...swerve around those *****es and hit the old lady on the sidewalk.
I wish I had that option. My choice was either another car or the pothole. The pothole won and now I have to repalce two M68 rims. $447 each..hmmm

...And the lease is up in July...

*sigh*

:ben:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Rim Repair

BTW, anybody know of any online places that might be able to repair my rims?

:dunno:

TIA

--Chris

1 - 10 of 10 Posts