BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey yall.. following up on my Avant 2 post now years ago, I wanted to share the latest I have for the Avant 3!

*** Full disclosure *** I worked with Avin directly to do this installation.

This is the full installation DIY for the AvinUSA Avant 3 android multimedia navigation system.

Simply said, what an amazing upgrade! The installation of this new display is really easy and you will be glad you did. I have worked with Avin for years, and seen how the company and their products have grown and this is a huge step forward.

The touchscreen display is fast and responsive, GPS location is quick, and all the controls are right on point. I am especially glad they have continued the tradition of matching the button font and color perfectly, so this looks like a vastly improved OEM component, and not some garish aftermarket hack.

Refer to the Avin product page for a full listing of features, but here is a short highlight.. GPS, navigation, android apps, TPMS integration, Wifi and even native 4G LTE cellular connectivity! It has just about every single feature you could possibly want in a new display, let alone being able to retrofit this into an older vehicle seamlessly.

What amazes me even more is the integration into the car itself.. I was able to switch on 3 blink turn signals without any other coding.

All in all, I am already really impressed with this display and I have only just begun looking at all of the technical and software details.

***IMPORTANT NOTE*** The example M3 in this case already had the double din OEM NAV, so the center console bracket didn't need to be changed. If you have the business CD, single DIN, setup, you will also need the OEM center console bracket and swap it out. I did not document that process here, but can help you with it if you have to do so. Shoot me a message or comment if so. The part you need is listed below, either single row or multi switch layout.

Required parts and tools:
AvinUSA Avant 3 multimedia navigation display
https://avinusa.com/avant-3-for-bmw-3-series-e46-m3-android-multimedia-navigation-system.html
TPMS system
https://avinusa.com/tpms-tire-pressure-monitoring-system.html
Android Auto/Apple Carplay adaptor
https://avinusa.com/apple-carplay-android-auto-usb-adapter.html
Philips screw driver

Nice to have:
Plastic trim tool kit
https://avinusa.com/5-pcs-trim-molding-removal-tool-set.html
BMW OEM HVAC relocation bracket single row
https://avinusa.com/bmw-hvac-relocation-kit-single-row-51167001410.html
BMW OEM HVAC relocation bracket multi button
https://avinusa.com/bmw-e46-hvac-relocation-kit-multi-switch-51168230902.html
Good lighting
https://www.ryobitools.com/products/details/18v-one-plus-dual-power-20-watt-led-work-light
Good music - BB King is always good for car work!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Great install video. Question, is the RDS turned on? i saw the frequency instead of the station name, and if you store the channel, does it store the name or the frequency?

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great install video. Question, is the RDS turned on? i saw the frequency instead of the station name, and if you store the channel, does it store the name or the frequency?
So yes yes and yes.. from what I can tell. There are a TON, and I mean a TON of features on this device, and I have only just begun on it. The absolute key things you have to do FIRST on power up, is attach to wireless/cellular and then run the I-BUS app to unlock the canbus.

I don't even PRETEND to fully understand all of the options in the iBUS app at this point but I am just floored.. coding level changes! The very first thing I found and tried, was doing the auto blink thing on the blinkers.. you can even select how many blinks.. 1, 2, 3, 4, etc. I set for 3, tried it, and it works! :excited:

This is a REALLY feature rich device, and will have a feature walkthrough up asap, but I really have to figure out what it all even DOES first before I can share information with any certainty.

·
Registered
145 Posts
So yes yes and yes.. from what I can tell. There are a TON, and I mean a TON of features on this device, and I have only just begun on it. The absolute key things you have to do FIRST on power up, is attach to wireless/cellular and then run the I-BUS app to unlock the canbus.

I don't even PRETEND to fully understand all of the options in the iBUS app at this point but I am just floored.. coding level changes! The very first thing I found and tried, was doing the auto blink thing on the blinkers.. you can even select how many blinks.. 1, 2, 3, 4, etc. I set for 3, tried it, and it works! :excited:

This is a REALLY feature rich device, and will have a feature walkthrough up asap, but I really have to figure out what it all even DOES first before I can share information with any certainty.
My apology that i am bit of a nerd, i was building a car pc and uses the Resler i-bus interface (i have 2 of them, a usb stick and a RS-232) so that the car could communicate with the pc and vice versa. :D

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Excellent video. Contemplating about making the plunge on my wagon and your video has given me confidence.

Couple questions:

If I dont care about the cellular options, do I have to install antennas or can I just leave them out? I only really care about apple car play, rearview camera and maybe TPMS

Any chance we get a video on how to install the rear view camera?

·
Registered
145 Posts
raichean, it seems that you have close contact with avin, can you tell us about the hardware it hase and does Avin plan on a long term a OS update too Nougat or Oreo. Is it also possible to install a BMW Car Launcher for android that is customizable?

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
raichean, it seems that you have close contact with avin, can you tell us about the hardware it hase and does Avin plan on a long term a OS update too Nougat or Oreo. Is it also possible to install a BMW Car Launcher for android that is customizable?
So great questions and will answer what I can when I can.. I don't have any long term information on OS updates, but I know Avin stays on top of what whenever they can. There isn't an option to customize the UI that I am aware of, but that said, this system is brand new to me and I have barely touched what it can do so far. There may be a ton of options, and I am sure there are, that I am not familiar with yet. the iBUS app alone is unreal, and the ability to partially code your car.

·
Registered
158 Posts
raichean thanks for your initial thoughts, looking good so far...

Judging by previous units, the likelyhood of a major update to android is nil. This goes for all these head units, not just the AVIN.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Thank you for the video! Question: I have an Avant-2 and had factory nav, which meant that I had to tear the interior apart from stem to stern to get that long cable back to the radio in the trunk. Will the cable I've already got installed for the Avant-2 work for the Avant-3? Or am I going to have to do that again with a new cable?

·
Registered
145 Posts
It is a AutoChip cpu! the MT3562 is indeed a good octa core cpu :)

Only remark is that the specifications are not quit correct according CPU Z and antutu, instead of 2048 gb it shows 1885 gb and the 32GB Internal Storage shows 2607 gb instead of 32 gb, thats 6 gb less than advertised.

https://scontent-bru2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/26910209_2429163713976481_929479960058578755_o.jpg?oh=eb924c9cf7e5e0b90575fa128ec63997&oe=5AE9670E

https://scontent-bru2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/26685700_2429679597258226_7650273427916549796_o.jpg?oh=f13492f3307bdd360648ca81a94ac4a2&oe=5AF82973

·
Registered
80 Posts
Is that just a launcher? It's an Android unit with (presumably) the ability to sideload apps. I don't see any reason why something like that wouldn't work.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I got the Avant 3 for my E46, everything works as it should I guess, but not the buttons lights. Tommy has helped somehow with the fitting, now he doesn't answer my mail anymore. Can you help?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hey yall.. following up on my Avant 2 post now years ago, I wanted to share the latest I have for the Avant 3!

*** Full disclosure *** I worked with Avin directly to do this installation.

This is the full installation DIY for the AvinUSA Avant 3 android multimedia navigation system.
Watched the entire video, and I have one question: How well do the external TPMS sensors work?

Thanks!

·
Registered
411 Posts
While I would love to upgrade from my avant 2 to this. I just can***8217;t justify spending this much money again, based on long term experience with the avant 2. None of the bugs got solved. With every update, the unit just got unbearably slow. It***8217;s at a point where it takes 6-8 seconds to open an app.
I think that might be the fate of the avant 3 also.

By the way, what prevents the ibus app to run on the avant 2?

·
Registered
145 Posts
While I would love to upgrade from my avant 2 to this. I just can't justify spending this much money again, based on long term experience with the avant 2. None of the bugs got solved. With every update, the unit just got unbearably slow. It's at a point where it takes 6-8 seconds to open an app.
I think that might be the fate of the avant 3 also.

By the way, what prevents the ibus app to run on the avant 2?[/QUOTAndroid

The OS, the app works from 4.4, but better with Android 5.1

1 - 20 of 22 Posts