BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

441 - 460 of 474 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Can anyone answer a couple of questions about the Avant 4 please?:

1. Do you really need the Android Auto dongle? As I currently use an app called Head Unit Reloaded on my current Android HU (Erisin) and it works really really well. Has anyone tried it on the Avant 4?

2. Are the two knobs made of rubber, like the OEM BMW satnav, or a hard plastic like the cheaper chinese Android HUs?

thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
The knobs are rubber.
OK thanks. So at least the build quality is higher with Avin then!

Also does anyone know if speed-adjusted volume is possible with these units? My OEM e46 M3 stereo does this and its so useful. But I've never found a way to do it on Android HUs.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have the Avant 4 with apple wireless carplay, Has anyone been able to get text message text wording to show up on carplay? I can only get siri to work.

Also, when playing music and using google maps for navi through carplay, i noticed that when the google maps provides directions, the music fades out of the left speakers and everything just plays out of the right. It remains this way for a while?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm researching head units to replace my '04 330i HK unit with navigation. How has this Avant 4 been for you since installation? Any issues to be aware of? Do you have any recommendations to make since owning it? Thanks for the help!

·
OG Fanatic
467 Posts
I purchased mine back in April 2019, the PX5, Android 9.0 Pie, the newer unit has a faster processor and Android 10.0. Mine has worked flawlessly. I ended up removing everything in the trunk except the OEM HK Amp. Also many of the extra accessories can be purchased on ebay or amazon.

As far as gripes, I think the screen has a lot of glare during the day while driving, and at night the screen does illuminate fairly bright even at its lowest setting, which can be remedied with an app.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I'm researching head units to replace my '04 330i HK unit with navigation. How has this Avant 4 been for you since installation? Any issues to be aware of? Do you have any recommendations to make since owning it? Thanks for the help!
It has a few issues and at times does its own thing, the Bluetooth does not find all devices so Carly is out of the question, the OBDlink module has to be renamed as it will not connect if it is not named OBDII, the support from Avin is pretty much useless, They are a joke they cannot even give you a firmware update with a changelog so you never know what it may fix or break , they cannot even supply you your current firmware if the new firmware is worse than what you had.

But looking around its the best-looking device I'm pretty sure it is made by Xtrons with a better layout.

If you are not too demanding about perfection I would say yes buy it.

I have two of them:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2001 E46 330Ci, LSD diff, Dinan performance, Facelifted Mpackage
140 Posts
They sent me a Iphone dongle that does not work!! Support line is slow. Expect two weeks delay in replys.
Head unit does feel oem and if you get the proper kit all your steering wheel switches would work.
I didi get the dongel for Ibus, Iphone, and cameras for front and rear and RCA jack.
However, the unit only has three USBports so deffinitly countthe number of accesorries you get.
BY the way if you do get the Ibus, make sure to go back to avant after installation and again provide your vin number as they do not register the device with Ibus on purchase.

Also, have fun with all the wires you have to somehow fit inside that little setero compartment. 🤣

I've also read that you can upgrade the componants of the unit. The mainboard, memory and such.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I've also read that you can upgrade the componants of the unit. The mainboard, memory and such.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

They are a joke they cannot even give you a firmware update with a changelog so you never know what it may fix or break, they cannot even supply you your current firmware if the new firmware is worse than what you had.

🤬🤬🤬

·
Registered
140 Posts
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

They are a joke they cannot even give you a firmware update with a changelog so you never know what it may fix or break, they cannot even supply you your current firmware if the new firmware is worse than what you had.

🤬🤬🤬
So Avant i belive is just a distrobuter. The android unit and hardware are all android based as you are getting a android unit.
go through this form https://forum.xda-developers.com/android-auto/
Essentially you want to find what model and version of android you have and if you do enough research you can find out the upgrades and how it can be done

I have not done it yet as im trying to get everything else fixed on the car. But once that project is over, I deffinitly start playing with the android unit

·
Registered
156 Posts
Got my Avant 4 in yesterday - PX6 w/ DSP and Resler interface (+ iBus App)

I'm in the UK and it took 2 days to get here from Hong Kong, customs changes were £15.39 with DHL adding £11 - so £26.39 in all. Goes without saying that YMMV wrt customs

No instructions for installation in the box. They do send you an email with YouTube links and pdfs, which I ignored for the most part. I had previously retrofitted the OEM navigation and Bluetooth, so it was easy enough for me to remove all the units and wiring and restore the Business CD unit whilst I waited for the AVIN to arrive. As for fitting the unit itself, no issues there. No need to cut anything or even cable manage really. There is ample space behind the unit for all that stuff.

What I would like to try and do is to use the OEM GPS antenna in its default location behind the cluster (on convertibles) and run a small wire to the Avant 4. The antenna provided works, but comes with a really long cable that I've just stuffed behind the unit for the time being.

First impressions - Looks good in the car, sounds great and performs really well. Pleasantly surprised.

Need to get stuck into the iBus app. That was a massive part of why I went for an android unit.

2 things that have were already been stated in this thread but are worth repeating

The Resler interface plugs directly into the harness for the Avant 4. - much easier than having to tap into wires
For some reason AVIN does not seem to activate the iBUS app with your vin when they process your order - I've had to email them and ask for it to be done.

·
Registered
140 Posts
for apple carplay, has anyone been able to switch to text mode instead of siri and audible reading of messages?
My dongle didn't even work when it arrived., Carplay can't detect iphone or android phone. waste of 70 dollars

·
Registered
2003 325Ci Convertible
145 Posts
Hi guys, I've had this problem with steering wheel controls ever since I got my avant 4 (PX6). Basically the buttons work, but I can't seem to change what they do, i.e would love for the speaking button to trigger google assistant but instead it launches the bluetooth app.
Supposedly that is what the "Wheelkey study" app is for, but that doesn't let me do anything. Has anyone had a similar issue?

Thanks
Anyone able to fix this? I can't remap my steering wheels and have become extremely accustomed to launching the voice feature in android auto / carplay with that button. Considered getting the hal9k rom to fix that but I'm running android 10. doesn't make sense why I can't change this from the factory.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Hello all, been a while since I've posted. I just took possession of my Avin 4, upgrading from an Avin 2. I don't have any sound. I did have a Rockford Fosgate amp in the previous Avin 2 and it was spliced into the Avin 2 harness in the trunk (brown wire). I haven't made any connections into the new Avin harness yet. I have a question into Avin Tech support asking if the Avin 2 trunk harness and the Avin 4 trunk harness are color coded the same. If anyone on the forum has any insight on this, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks1

·
Registered
2002 Sterling Gray 330Ci Convertible
4 Posts
I'm two weeks into my Avant 4 (PX6, Android 10). Upgraded from Business Audio with HK. Was really surprised/pleased at how easy the initial install was and how well the harness/steering wheel controls worked out of the box. Just received a Natika WD-011 camera which is my next weekend project.

Question... does anyone know if its possible/easy to map the "Music" button? Would like to have that launch Spotify if possible.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey all, I just replaced the oem nav with an AVANT 4 unit with carplay.
Im slowly fixing one issue at a time using forums and youtube as guidance as the product doesnt come with much instructions.
Right now im having a problem changing out my homepage widgets. For some odd reason all the widgets in the homepage do not move. I cant seem to add nor subtract any widgets on that page alone. Meanwhile all the widgets in the other pages can be freely moved around.
Is there a homepage locking feature that is causing this? Any assist would be appreciated

·
Registered
156 Posts
I don't think that first page is customisable which is annoying because it's useless to me.

I tried moving that page from first to last, but that change was reversed on next boot.

There are third party launchers available if you want to go that route.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I don't think that first page is customisable which is annoying because it's useless to me.

I tried moving that page from first to last, but that change was reversed on next boot.

There are third party launchers available if you want to go that route.
I also have the same problem.
Check out this video at 22:55 mark.
The reviewer is freely editing the homepage.
How is he doing this?

441 - 460 of 474 Posts