BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

401 - 420 of 451 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Plenty of info" google can be a friend" they do have a guide but not for the E46 with Nav, but its the same story you just need to find the Quadlock in the Trunk and extend it to the dash with your quad lock cable and same with your GPS extension cable and the rest is pretty much all plug and play same as the Avant 2
I just posed a YouTube video on the install for the Avant 4 of the Quadlock cable, GPS extension antenna and radio antenna for my '03 e46 M3. I installed the cables the same way from the Avant 4 in my e39 M5. You run through the center console, route under the carpet flap under the driver's seat and route through the door sill in the trunk.

https://youtu.be/3jcDQsRlsgM

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks and a question

Thanks to all of you who have posted help and advice on this thread. I installed a PX6/9.0 unit in my 2005 vert this weekend and after a little issue with the cable, I am up and running. I would have been in serious trouble if it weren't for the advice and experience you all have shared. :thumbup:

Now the question. I have not had an android device for at least 10 years and I'm trying to figure my way around again. One specific issue I am having is with the installed Torque app. I have a veepeak OBD bluetooth, but I can't seem to get it to connect to the head unit. It shows it as an available device, but when i pick it, the Avin beeps, but then nothing. It never shows up in the connected devices list. Any Ideas on what I'm doing wrong?

Does it matter which screen i try to connect it from? There is the settings screen and then the bluetooth widget on the home screen and they are different.

·
Registered
154 Posts
So I just read the entire thread because I am looking to order the Avin Avant 4 headunit. As mentioned the best options/options I want are
-PX6
-IBUS
-DSP
-Wireless Apple Carplay

Then I am conflicted on what else to get. I know the cameras are trash and you can get some online and better for much cheaper. I definitely want to go that route, but looking now at the "Dual DVR Camera System" what exactly is that/what does it look like/include? I would like to have the DVR capabilities and the capabilities of a reverse camera for both if that comes with it. Also the lane keep and collision avoidance system is cool to me. What would you all recommend? Lastly, is the External TPMS System worth it? I do not have built in sensors.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Internal Microphone

Does anyone know how to adjust the level of the internal microphone? People can't hear me well on phone calls. I have downloaded a sound recording app and it is very soft.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I believe you need an external microphone. I just received on in the mail but have yet to take everything back apart to attach it to the headunit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Internal Microphone

I would rather use the internal one, that is there but too soft, rather than pulling the interior apart.

·
OG Fanatic
467 Posts
Firmware update

So Ive reached out to AVIN Support and its pretty miserable, I have an AVIN4 headunit that is the PX5, but came loaded with Android 9 Pie OS; they gave me the options to download the PX5 Android 8 firmware or the PX6 Android 9 firmware, i am leaning to install the PX6 Android 9 firmware, but dont want to accidentally brick my unit. The response rate from AVIN is awful. Any insight?

·
OG Fanatic
467 Posts
I would rather use the internal one, that is there but too soft, rather than pulling the interior apart.
I ran a standard mic that looks exactly the one sold on their AVIN site from ebay. It fits nicely on the top black border part of the windshield where the stem of the rearview mirror comes out of the headliner, very discreet and can be heard by my callers.

·
//Binary is in my DNA
2002 BMW 325i
3,721 Posts
So I just read the entire thread because I am looking to order the Avin Avant 4 headunit. As mentioned the best options/options I want are
-PX6
-IBUS
-DSP
-Wireless Apple Carplay

Then I am conflicted on what else to get. I know the cameras are trash and you can get some online and better for much cheaper. I definitely want to go that route, but looking now at the "Dual DVR Camera System" what exactly is that/what does it look like/include? I would like to have the DVR capabilities and the capabilities of a reverse camera for both if that comes with it. Also the lane keep and collision avoidance system is cool to me. What would you all recommend? Lastly, is the External TPMS System worth it? I do not have built in sensors.

Thanks!
Looks like you have chosen a well featured Avin system. I recommend the Avin DDVR for the front/rear dash cam capability and ADAS, very happy with mine. TPMS is entirely up to you. PM me if you need help, we have the same options.

·
Registered
7,983 Posts
Anyone else having cold weather issues? Mine seems to do a full reboot more often than not now. Dunno if my battery is just running low (car always starts up fine) or if Avin just sucks at making things tolerate cold weather (my Avant 3s were really flaky in winter).

·
//Binary is in my DNA
2002 BMW 325i
3,721 Posts
Mine will do a full reboot at startup sometimes out of the blue. I don't think it is cold related, it did it a couple of times this summer but only when first getting in and turning on the ignition. Not sure what causes it but it just seems unhappy at that moment. 20 seconds later all good again and it could be months before it decides to do it again. Maybe 1 out of 100 starts :dunno:

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I'm experiencing an issue where the autoplay application is causing every other running application to briefly reload itself every 7-8 seconds. So all my cameras will cut out for a half second every 6-8 seconds. Same with ibus and torque pro. I thought I had fixed it by switching the autoplay setting for connection to "manual" from "auto" but it still seems to happen. Can't find the common denominator here and haven't been able to spend much time troubleshooting. Avin support hasn't responded yet. Curious if anyone else has seen this? Has been happening since I have gotten the unit hooked up this past weekend

·
Registered
83 Posts
I've been on the fence between the Avin Avant 4 and the Alpine ILX-W650, for my 1999 e46 (that I just brought back from the dead - was dead for 9 years).
But, I'm concerned with all these reports of software bugs and what not.
Perhaps better with the Alpine unit?
I really only wanted the CarPlay.... what do you guys suggest since you've been invested in these Avin units?

·
Registered
176 Posts
I've been on the fence between the Avin Avant 4 and the Alpine ILX-W650, for my 1999 e46 (that I just brought back from the dead - was dead for 9 years).
But, I'm concerned with all these reports of software bugs and what not.
Perhaps better with the Alpine unit?
I really only wanted the CarPlay.... what do you guys suggest since you've been invested in these Avin units?
I have the Avant 4 and can say that it has been very good it's only 7 months old now, Now I'm not sure what firmware ver they are shipping with now? But so far no issues.

Don't expect any support from Avin as its almost none existent but plenty helpful folks here, For the other bits like cameras, etc you will find better options on Amazon,

Would I buy the unit again? Yes its the best available in this format

·
Registered
391 Posts
I specifically bought mine because I wanted Wireless CarPlay and to have it look like it belongs in an E46. Pretty happy with it. I just picked up an 8.8" one this week for my E61 that I have yet to install. Bought it because the experience here was good. I find that the CarPlay disconnects once or twice a day while I'm driving but for whatever reason, it hasn't bothered me too much. I think it's because someone else once told me to temper my expectations with these Android units and you'll enjoy it more.

·
Registered
83 Posts
thanks for the replies.
seems to be a workable unit.
the Alpine ILX-W650 seems pretty basic, but solid. All the reviews out there put it as the best sound quality of the Double Din units out there.
The Avin looks pretty darn OEM, and besides that, I like all the integration option. Albeit in my case, with a 1999 323i e46, which is a pretty basic car. I don't think it has k-bus, or i-bus to pick the engine data.
I already installed internal TPMS sensors, so don't need that.

How fast to they ship?
I'm traveling to the US next week. They said 5-8 days. So, there should be plenty of time. I'll be there until 1/29th.
or pick the Alpine unit (i dislike the blue look of it, it would not look good in my orange-lit e46).
Decisions...

·
Registered
391 Posts
I find I'm adjusting the volume much more than I did with my oem radio.
Responding to my previous comment: I found a place in Factory Settings on the unit where I can set the volume for various audio sources and now find the volume to be consistent between CarPlay and radio. I believe the code to access factory settings is 126 and the Sys volume did it for CarPlay.

Attachments

·
Registered
391 Posts
How fast to they ship?
If they have it in stock you should get it within 5 days, worked that way for me with the one for my E61. The Avant 4 was out of stock back when I purchased a few months ago so it took maybe 2 weeks.

401 - 420 of 451 Posts