BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

341 - 360 of 451 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
176 Posts
Just pulled the trigger. PX6, iBus, wireless Apple CarPlay, DSP chipset, Bluetooth obd2, and mic for 575. Used the 25 promo, and they gave me a 20 credit for being a previous owner. Seems like a solid deal.
So im thinking today is the day that your ride gets its new toy?

Let us know how it goes, im sure you going to like it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
418 Posts
Thinking about finally pulling the trigger on this, have been waiting for a good head unit so long!

My car only has the bmw business cd unit (no nav).

1. I heard I need an HVAC relocation bracket?

2. The rear camera seems to be the most toughest part to install since you need to take a wire to the back. Is wireless worth it? Does it automatically turn on when I put the car in reverse? I have a 6 speed manual.

3. Is IBUS actually worth it? Will I have steering wheel control without it?

4) To be honest my main reason for this is for bluetooth and car play. Wondering if these other bells and whistles are worth it?

5) Has anyone gotten the front camera? Worth it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
176 Posts
This one is the best one any supplier has had to offer, you may find similar specs to these but the extra detail in the more OEM button/controls you will only get from Avin

1. I heard I need an HVAC relocation bracket?

Yes and no, Yes to do it perfectly, some just remove the sunglass tray and push the a/c heating control in and it fits nice, a matter of choice.

2. The rear camera seems to be the most toughest part to install since you need to take a wire to the back. Is wireless worth it? Does it automatically turn on when I put the car in reverse? I have a 6 speed manual.

Not too hard to do very simple if you know how to remove the plastic covers without breaking anything and into the Trunk, there is where I connect the power to the camera and the feed back to the reverse signal at the head unit. The camera from Avin is a crap design as it goes too deep into where the lights lens was, then you see part of the lip that covers the number plate lights on your screen and with those silly led's lighting up at night you will see nothing, So ask if Avin have a camera without the silly led's

3. Is IBUS actually worth it? Will I have steering wheel control without it?

The IBus is well worth it, and yes you will have steering wheel controls without it.
You will not know the IBUS screen because you never had the full onboard display as it only came with the Navigation Radios, yes a must.

4) To be honest my main reason for this is for bluetooth and car play. Wondering if these other bells and whistles are worth it?

In my opinion well worth it and the Base price now is only $299 go for the PX6 and if you like the DSP but even without the DSP the unit sounds good.

5) Has anyone gotten the front camera? Worth it?

I have not gone for the front camera so cannot comment
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
418 Posts
This one is the best one any supplier has had to offer, you may find similar specs to these but the extra detail in the more OEM button/controls you will only get from Avin

1. I heard I need an HVAC relocation bracket?

Yes and no, Yes to do it perfectly, some just remove the sunglass tray and push the a/c heating control in and it fits nice, a matter of choice.

2. The rear camera seems to be the most toughest part to install since you need to take a wire to the back. Is wireless worth it? Does it automatically turn on when I put the car in reverse? I have a 6 speed manual.

Not too hard to do very simple if you know how to remove the plastic covers without breaking anything and into the Trunk, there is where I connect the power to the camera and the feed back to the reverse signal at the head unit. The camera from Avin is a crap design as it goes too deep into where the lights lens was, then you see part of the lip that covers the number plate lights on your screen and with those silly led's lighting up at night you will see nothing, So ask if Avin have a camera without the silly led's

3. Is IBUS actually worth it? Will I have steering wheel control without it?

The IBus is well worth it, and yes you will have steering wheel controls without it.
You will not know the IBUS screen because you never had the full onboard display as it only came with the Navigation Radios, yes a must.

4) To be honest my main reason for this is for bluetooth and car play. Wondering if these other bells and whistles are worth it?

In my opinion well worth it and the Base price now is only $299 go for the PX6 and if you like the DSP but even without the DSP the unit sounds good.

5) Has anyone gotten the front camera? Worth it?

I have not gone for the front camera so cannot comment
Thank you! I have the HK speaker option, will DSP help improve quality further?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
176 Posts
I would think so but maybe someone else could comment as mine is just the 10 speaker system not HK, but then again only $29 I think.

Also I see I forgot to say, the camera and the feed back to the radio will connect to your reverse lights.
 

·
//Binary is in my DNA
2002 BMW 325i
Joined
·
3,724 Posts
I would think so but maybe someone else could comment as mine is just the 10 speaker system not HK, but then again only $29 I think.

Also I see I forgot to say, the camera and the feed back to the radio will connect to your reverse lights.
My X5 came with factory DSP so I can tell you that it makes a huge difference in sound but as skylink suggested, it sounds great even without it. I would add it.

The backup cam will work automatically as you put in reverse and I used the Avin DDVR-2 dual camera setup for front and rear and they are always recording like a dash cam and it even offers lane departure and collision warning alerts. (see my video on post #277). As far as the reverse camera itself, I used a cheap camera that was $16 and works great. (See post #264)
The video quality is only 720p for the front and 480p CCD for the rear but as I mentioned, I am satisfied with the quality. (They are only there for reversing and as a dash cam with ADAS driver assist functionality)

I also recommend the CarPlay black box unit that supports wireless CarPlay, Avin even used my video on their website for the demonstration.

I would recommend the Avant-4 unit with these features:
  • PX6
  • DSP
  • iBus adapter and app
  • DDVR-2 Camera system with rear cam of your choice
  • WCPAA wireless CarPlay
You will have a pretty stout Android conversion to your E46 :thumbup:

https://youtu.be/bc-H4bYFhF8
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
176 Posts
For those guys thinking about the Avant 4 upgrade I would make the move now, I believe after the Golden Week 1 ***8211; 7 Oct 2019 Holidays for the factories, the price will be going back up, So now is the time to take advantage of the specials.
 

·
Registered
2005 ZHP
Joined
·
240 Posts
Reading through this thread again since my 1.5yr old Xtrons has a crazy flickering screen that is slowly getting worse.

I just read a review from someone that moved from the 7" to 9" headunit and noted that they can see the 9" screen much better as it is angled lower so that you don't get the glare from the rear window.

I know it looks goofy af but that alone is enough to make me want to change to the 9" model...

How to make the radio boot up to the last app it was on: (PX5)



1. Close out the radio app if you are in it. Open the Bluetooth app or any other app you like.



2. Turn down the volume on the radio to zero "0"



2. Turn off the car or ACC and wait for 2 minutes.



3. Power the radio back on.
Wait is this some sort of weird reset? I have always had the same issue where my Xtrons headunit starts in radio, then with radio disabled it starts in music, but also sometimes dvr or whatever else it feels like. Maybe 20% of the time it actually starts in the app I left it in. Funny thing is the Android 6.0 headunit that I put in my wife's car doesn't do this, but the Android 8.0 in my car does. Drives me bonkers.
 

·
//Binary is in my DNA
2002 BMW 325i
Joined
·
3,724 Posts
Wait is this some sort of weird reset? I have always had the same issue where my Xtrons headunit starts in radio, then with radio disabled it starts in music, but also sometimes dvr or whatever else it feels like. Maybe 20% of the time it actually starts in the app I left it in. Funny thing is the Android 6.0 headunit that I put in my wife's car doesn't do this, but the Android 8.0 in my car does. Drives me bonkers.
I'm not sure if this will work on the Xtrons, this was a tip from Avin for their Avant-4 but it should be the same on any of the PX5 processor running Android 8. :dunno:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
176 Posts
Reading through this thread again since my 1.5yr old Xtrons has a crazy flickering screen that is slowly getting worse.

I just read a review from someone that moved from the 7" to 9" headunit and noted that they can see the 9" screen much better as it is angled lower so that you don't get the glare from the rear window.

I know it looks goofy af but that alone is enough to make me want to change to the 9" model...

.
I was also keen to have one of the 9" units hands-on to try but that would have been too expensive if I didn't like it :) So both cars have the Avant 4 and they look good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Pretty sure this has been answered, but can't find it.
Can I get it so the music stays on when I put the car in reverse and the backup camera come on?

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
410 Posts
I just can't stop the music app to come Everytime I start my car. It used to be the radio app, so I disabled that in factory settings but now the music apps does the same shit. Freaking cheap ass Chinese units. I've tried all steps of disabling open last app.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
2005 ZHP
Joined
·
240 Posts
I just can't stop the music app to come Everytime I start my car. It used to be the radio app, so I disabled that in factory settings but now the music apps does the same shit. Freaking cheap ass Chinese units. I've tried all steps of disabling open last app.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
I've had the same issue with 2 of the 3 Px5 units I've owned. One works perfectly fine. If they fixed this with the PX6, then it'll be worth the upgrade to me. Shit is maddening.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,141 Posts
Finally got around to installing my Avant 4 and it***8217;s so much better than my Avant 2! Ibus and CarPlay work great, super smooth and fast. I have upgraded BSW speaker so I opted for the DSP upgrade, and boy was I glad I did! The sound quality was night and day compared to the Avant 2.

The only issue which is a big issue, the unit powers on about 25% of the time. Sometimes it will power on right away upon ignition, and sometimes it would power on about two minutes after ignition start. The other 75% it does t power on. I thought it was a loose connection with the factory stereo harness, so I took it out. I reseated all the connections and without putting it back in the slot (preventing any wires getting linked), it still had the same issue. Any reason why this would happen and any solutions?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
176 Posts
Finally got around to installing my Avant 4 and it's so much better than my Avant 2! Ibus and CarPlay work great, super smooth and fast. I have upgraded BSW speaker so I opted for the DSP upgrade, and boy was I glad I did! The sound quality was night and day compared to the Avant 2.

The only issue which is a big issue, the unit powers on about 25% of the time. Sometimes it will power on right away upon ignition, and sometimes it would power on about two minutes after ignition start. The other 75% it does t power on. I thought it was a loose connection with the factory stereo harness, so I took it out. I reseated all the connections and without putting it back in the slot (preventing any wires getting linked), it still had the same issue. Any reason why this would happen and any solutions?
Not knowing what may be the issue right now, I would do a factory reset for starters, I had issues with playstore and a few other things on my first Avant 4 but after a factory reset it was fine, worth a try.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,141 Posts
Finally got around to installing my Avant 4 and it's so much better than my Avant 2! Ibus and CarPlay work great, super smooth and fast. I have upgraded BSW speaker so I opted for the DSP upgrade, and boy was I glad I did! The sound quality was night and day compared to the Avant 2.

The only issue which is a big issue, the unit powers on about 25% of the time. Sometimes it will power on right away upon ignition, and sometimes it would power on about two minutes after ignition start. The other 75% it does t power on. I thought it was a loose connection with the factory stereo harness, so I took it out. I reseated all the connections and without putting it back in the slot (preventing any wires getting linked), it still had the same issue. Any reason why this would happen and any solutions?
Not knowing what may be the issue right now, I would do a factory reset for starters, I had issues with playstore and a few other things on my first Avant 4 but after a factory reset it was fine, worth a try.
I***8217;ll give that a shot! Avin thinks it might be my battery being old, so I have some possible solutions
 
341 - 360 of 451 Posts
Top