E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Avic-D3 Install Finished

15K views 27 replies 11 participants last post by  LeontiyZHP 
#1 ·
Finally got everything finished! I've had a thread going with the questions on the install and now I wanted to show the finished product.. Received the right Relocation kit from EAS, who I want to thank for taking their time and processing my exchange, and decided to put everything in Sunday night. Very satisfied with the install.
Big Thanks goes our to everything who assisted and guided me with the Install. Here are some pics...

See less See more
Discussion starter · #6 ·
Nice install, how long did it take you to do that?
Thanks, it took about a whole day.. I started on it in the evening, modded the vent for the most part, then finished it in the morning, and did the wiring during the day. It took me a long time because of the questions I had with wiring and this was my first time doing something like that.

Is the bezel from mybimmer.net ? or you ordered the whole kit from Germany ?

The bezel doesn't look like mine (I ordered from the German guy too), my edges are rounded and not squared. Yours doesn't looks like one of Rich's bezels either.
no, the bezel is the one I got in the kit, I believe it was Janus of ebay, but it came from the states and not from Germany. EuroSpec is starting to carry the same kit now I believe.

Discussion starter · #10 ·
How are you liking the D3? I've been debating purchasing one. The only thing I do not really like is the dvd navigation disc situation, but I figure if I keep my ipod hooked up I will rarely listen to a cd.
i like it.. Can't complain. I had it in my Honda before and it was fine. I ran my Ipod wire to the glovebox and that's all I listen to. If i get a new CD i just upload it, but if necessary, the Navi has memory it will remember you route not that I use it that much.

Discussion starter · #11 ·
Good luck with this one. I had the same kit, and my bezel got deformed when standing outside in the sun. When I tried to adjust it, It fell apart in my hands.
It doesnt feel like it would just fall apart, it's a piece of plastic. I had to dremmel some of it also and it was pretty good.. If anything the EuroSpec is selling the same kit now, I'll just contact the manufacturer, I don't see why they wouldn't stand behind their product

Discussion starter · #15 ·
Werer you able to figure out the problem with the AC controls?
Ya.. I had no idea what caused it, but I did as Allen told me to disconnect the battery and let the ECU reset or w.e and it worked :excited:.. It was really strange though :hmm:

Discussion starter · #17 ·
Hmm. That is very interesting. I never disconnected the battery when I did my installation. Well, I am glad that it is working. The setup looks great.
Ya.. I had to disconnect it again when I was installing my HVAC Relocation piece and I worked fine w/o disconnecting the battery..

Discussion starter · #19 ·
In pic #3 where you have the cut in the dash. Did you fab the metal tray to support the D3 or did you buy it. If the later, from where. If you did the fab, can you share measurement, info on the material and instructions?

Thanks.

Tpaquette.
I've ordered it of Janus of ebay.. but EuroSpec is starting to carry it now..
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=591341 It should be exact same kit that I got, they say its the same manufacturer.

Discussion starter · #21 ·
Once you cut the ABS plastic away behind the dash to make room for the D3, did you have to move the hoses around prior to installing the radio tray that you bought from Janus?

The reason why I am asking is that I am thinking about having a local shop do the install and I need to pass on to them as much detail on the install as possible. So it would be much appreciated if you could get back to me on this question as well as anything else that required fab work, tweaking, rerouting of wires, hoses...etc.

Thanks so much.

Tony.
There are no hoses in there, just the metal tubes or w.e they are. They seem closer in the pic than they actually are. The only thing in there is the control arm modification. In the kit I ordered there's a small metal piece that is just for that mod. you'll need to cut the control arm and crew the piece on. The kit simplified it a lot for me. And it came with instuctions.

I was going to have a local shop do it, but wasn't able to find anyone who has done it before and I didn't really want to pay them over $500 just in labor for doing something they don't know how to do.:hmm: That's why I chose to do it myself and saved my self a lot $$.:thumbsup:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=390158 This is a good DIY I used for my install.. there are also many links in there to others..

Discussion starter · #23 ·
Thanks for all the feedback. One last question. Can you tell me what did you purchase for a wiring harness and did you have an issues with hooking it up to the D3, HK amps and steering wheel controls (I have this harness already).

Thanks.

Tp.
There is a link in my sig for the Questions I had with the install. Solved most of my questions with the helpful fanatics on this forum.

The harness was more straightforward than i thought it would be, make sure it's the right one. Best buy sold me 70-9003 and it's the wrong one, so I had to buy a different one don't remember which on for sure. I didn't have to hook anything up with the HK amps, but I already had taken out my HK subs as I have 2 10's. I also believe that you loose the functionality of HK subs once you install the indash. (Someone correct me if i'm wrong) I tried mine out of curiosity and they didn't seem to work. The steering wheel controls I haven't ordered yet but will sometime soon, the suggest one (in the link) is the PAC swi-ps.

GL :thumbsup:

Discussion starter · #25 ·
sorry for the bump but how is that dash kit holding up? im planning on installing my D3 next week and am trying to figure everything out. does it still look good? or do you regret not going with something like rich's kit.

hm..also, how is the D3 secured in there? it almost looks like u just slide it in and dont screw it to anything?
Everything is good so far. No complaints. It hasn't fallen apart on me like some on this forum might claim it does. I wouldn't know how Rich's bezel is, so I definitely don't regret not spending 200 just for the bezel alone, when the kit cost me a lil more. But we'll see what happens later one, hopefully it will stay the way it is, and I think it should since I used a dremel on it and nothing really happened.

The unit is good, no problem with it moving around or anything. It's secured as it can be with the kit, I think. It's secured to the metal piece in the dash, and that is screwed into the modified dash piece. I guess it can be more secured if you go a different DIY route but I have no knowledge of how others secure it.

BTW, please let me know when you get it done, and how you connected the VSS and Reverse wires. My navi has been acting weird, I'm assuming because I don't have them connected properly. Can't seem to get an answer anywhere lol TIA & Good luck! :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.