E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, so I have a little problem.
I have a 2004 BMW E46 with 16:9 screen and I tried to connect an aux wire behind the screen, at first I thought it’s plug and play, but as it turns out, i don’t have the correct software in the radio, what are my options? do i have to connect it in the trunk? or is there another way?

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
2004 330i
7,443 Posts
You can add an aux port ,there is a diy somewhere

I did it in mine ,same year tho I have business head unit ,you'd have to get into it I'd assume ,prob different plugs depending

Fcp has the cables ,Vids are on youtube

Never heard of behind screen ,it's behind the whole unit

Never heard of software for it either

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can add an aux port ,there is a diy somewhere

I did it in mine ,same year tho I have business head unit ,you'd have to get into it I'd assume ,prob different plugs depending

Fcp has the cables ,Vids are on youtube

Never heard of behind screen ,it's behind the whole unit

Never heard of software for it either
sorry, behind the unit not only the screen 😃
well as much as i could find out, software number has to be 43 or up in order for aux to work.

·
Registered
2004 330i
7,443 Posts
Is there an input in back of unit ? If you have the right cable ,it should sort itself

·
Registered
2001 E46 330i Sedan
393 Posts
sorry, behind the unit not only the screen 😃
well as much as i could find out, software number has to be 43 or up in order for aux to work.
Check here BMW E39: SIRIUS XM, Aux Input, BM53 Radio Retrofit whether your radio module part no. is in the list and have an aux input option. Then get the correct aux cable (the cable have build in capacitors and resistor) for your radio module to detect the aux input is connected.

·
Registered
2004 330i
7,443 Posts
I should add ,I had to add a line noise filter or aux would keep dropping off unit

Solved problem

These heads are very sensitive

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is there an input in back of unit ? If you have the right cable ,it should sort itself
yes, connected the cable I ordered but when i push mode, it doesn’t show up. The cable is correct, or at least should be.

·
Registered
123 Posts
okay, will look up the module number.
Easiest solution is to go on ebay and look for business radio with firmware version XX that supports AUX and it's just plug and play.
My other ZHP sedan had an older firmware that didn't support AUX and I just swapped it

·
Super Moderator
'03 325iT Mystic Blau
5,448 Posts

This even the same model year as what you're working with. I haven't read through it, but if there's a trick it should be in there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts