E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you hook up an AUX cable into the stock radio? Can you take the head unit out and hook it up in the back? (2003 325i)

·
Registered
262 Posts
If you have a 2002 and up I think it is there is a adapter for the oem bmw aux cable in the back and is probably the easiest thing you can do comes our with a couple screws

·
Registered
860 Posts
i don't think you get the AUX cable your HU needs... search and it will be obvious which end goes where.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Bimmer App

·
Shifting
31,751 Posts
Buy the AUX cable that is needed for your radio They will say either no navigation or with or something like that. The instructions are on the paper and it can be installed only one way. Pop out the trim above the radio with a flat head, remove the radio which is held by two screws and just install the cable and run the other end to where you want it to go.

·
Registered
412 Posts
How do you hook up an AUX cable into the stock radio? Can you take the head unit out and hook it up in the back? (2003 325i)

Just wondering what you're planning to plug in back there. For years I've had an ipod adapter connected to the cable that was designed for the multiple cd player. Now the function for switching songs has stopped working and am thinking of getting a new one or something else.

As I recall, total install time was about 5 min!

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
eBay for like $30 or so, or getbmwparts.com, ebmwparts.com, bmwpartssource.com

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just wondering what you're planning to plug in back there. For years I've had an ipod adapter connected to the cable that was designed for the multiple cd player. Now the function for switching songs has stopped working and am thinking of getting a new one or something else.

As I recall, total install time was about 5 min!
The iPod cable is already attached through the glove box. I want the AUX cable so I can hook it up to my smartphone (through the headphone jack obv.) Maybe you should pop off the head unit and make sure it's still attached correctly. As he said, it has to be hooked up a certain way, so make sure the right side of the cable is hooked into the head unit.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Nice video, thanks. So the AUX will hang out of the head unit, correct?
No, it will hang out of where you route the cable. Some people use the center console, ashtray, cupholders, etc while others use the predetermined mounting location in the glovebox. I used the glovebox so I can keep the wire stowed when not in use.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts