BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Carbon Fiber Airbox
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the dealer install the Aux input on my car. I have the Nav system and it works fine. Yesterday I purchased the Nomad MP3 player, works very nicely as well. Here is my problem: I connected the MP3 player the the cigg lighter. The MP3 player's headphone jack to the Aux input via a male to male 1/8" stereo miniplug. When I play music, not only is there a buzz (which I "fixed" by unplugging the cigg lighter), but the sound is very low. If i make the sound on the MP3 player to the highest setting or even a little before that, I still have to make the car stereo volume louder and what happens is the sound gets "distorted" because its too high.

My questions are, how do I make it so that the sound equalizes. And how do I elminate the buzz. Should I have gotten an Ipod and used their car kit instead? Should I take this into a shop and have them look at it? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

JP :cry:

·
Carbon Fiber Airbox
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well its not that I want to reduce the volume, its already low to begin with, I have to raise the volume on my stereo so I can hear the music from my MP3 player to begin with. But if it reduces the distortion that would be great. Thanks for your tip.

·
Registered
417 Posts
That's the point though. You said you have to turn the volume on the MP3 player way up, and even with it all the way up you have to turn up the volume on your stereo. My guess is the sound is distorting because the MP3 player doesn't output clean sound when it is cranked up so high. If you use an inline amp then the MP3 player's volume won't have to be so high and (my guess) won't distort as much. This also depends on the quality of the amp, and given this one is cheap might not help the situation much, but it's worth a shot.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I think people are having good luck with the iPods because the sound they output doesn't have much distortion, even at high volumes.

·
Registered
314 Posts
ipod is worth every cent. its the biggest storage device, lets u use it as a hard drive, and it looks great in the car if you mount it properly.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have a couple of suggestions. One thing which might help is grounding the mounting plate for the female miniplug of the auxiliary input kit. The other is, while the mp3 player is playing in Aux mode, try pushing the stereo buttons which are numbered 1-6 on the left side of the head unit. The higher the number, the greater the baseline of amplification provided. I actually have mine set at P6. You'll see the number just to the right of where a radio station would be displayed on the monitor.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Hey CNC...Bimmerguy is right on. I had a similar set up with my car using an IPOD. I had problems with the original aux interface a (Soundgate) unit...I returned for a Blitzsafe unit and all the buzzing and distortion went away. Good luck! GO with the IPOD...you will not look back...plus you have over 1,000 songs at your fingertips!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Your problem is your output signal is VERY low to begin with and when you max it, it just CLIPS!

Solution: Line driver. -to boost some clean signals to your head unit. AudioControl Overdrive works great!

Good Luck.

Mikli

www.boyzaudio.com

·
Carbon Fiber Airbox
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update* I am returning the **** I bought from Radio Shack, and returning the nomad and purchasing the Ipod. I will let everyone know what happens! BTW I figured out why the sound sucks, its coming out of the HEADPHONE jack, which doesn't output a lot of power, thats why it sucked soo much.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts