BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been searching for some instructions/pix on how to install an aux input on my '05 330CI convertible (mk IV unit) but I only seem to be able to find instructions on earlier models/non nav head units. I'm reasonably tech savyy (did a similar install on a BA Ford) just need the right instructions. I read in the DIY aux thread that there is a three pin connector behind the nav screen.
Can anyone help?

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Progress report

Found this page on BMWtips.com on how to remove the nav unit: http://www.bmwtips.com/tipsntricks/MP3 install cutting into tape inputs_files/MP3 install cutting into tape inputs.htm The trim details are a little different though. I have a piece of timber trim between my nav bezel and the vents while in the picture there is no timber. The guy who wrote this guide says the bezel can be simply 'yanked out' when the nav screen tilts to eject the cd from the single cd player behind the screen. I've had a go at it, but am a bit reluctant to apply too much force for obvious reasons! Will have another go today.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BTW.. remove the trim from above the glovebox first! :rofl:
Thanks for the tip.:thumbup:
I've successfully removed the timber trims (see pix 1 & 2) and the two Phillips head screws holding the bezel tabs at the top.
Unsure as to how to remove the bezel - should it just pull out or do I have to do something with the metal bracket below the vent (pic 3)?

Attachments

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
...sure glad I didn't try too hard to 'yank it out' as the advice on BMW tips said to do :)

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh woops, I mis-read. Thought you meant the trim. The non nav justs "yanks" out, maybe that is why people say that. :dunno:
So you got it out now?
The bezel seems to be part of the whole assembly - I don't think it comes away from the nav unit. When I try to pull it (the bezel) it seems to bring the cd unit with it, like it's all one piece. So for now, it's sitting in the car waiting for the next step, whatever that is:hmm:

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Progress report

The pages I quoted mentioned several different ways of depressing the bottom tabs, including a bent coathanger, a nail file and buying a purpose-made tool from BMW just to remove the nav unit! My solution was very low tech- I used my index finger!
So this is how it went:
  1. Pulled the exterior of the central vent up and out, which got the two black tabs out of the way of the nav unit
  2. Went to the battery & loosened the +ve terminal
  3. Pressed the eject button on the nav unit, the nav unit screen swung up & out and...
  4. Ran to the boot & disconnected the battery
  5. Stuck the finger in the bottom of the unit, pressed each tab & pulled gently
Disconnected the audio & video connectors of course. Now to find a wiring diagram of the pins in the connector. I know BMW sell a kit for this, but I reckon I have some 3-conductor shielded cable and a 3.5mm stereo socket in the workshop.
Iam planning to put my socket in the ashtray, next to the hole thing (I think it's for stubbing out cigarette butts) there's a bit of space there & my smartphone (aka mp3 player) fits nicely in the ashtray with charger right close by.
Stay tuned...

Attachments

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Closure

Well, I discovered this thread http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?p=948291#post948291 which had all the info I needed. I soon found the aux audio input (see pic 1), so I went & bought the necessary parts at Jaycar.
Picture 2 shows the ashtray insert disassembled, ready for drilling.
In picture 3, I have already drilled a 9mm hole in the insert, & I used this as the template to drill the next hole in the base of the ashtray.
Picture 4 shows the cable fed through from above the CC unit, but I actually fed it through the ashtray hole first, and used another cable, dropped from above and taped to the audio cable, as a pull-through.
Pix 5 & 6 show the connection point with the aux connector. The two capacitors and the resistor are soldered directly to the 3-pin plug and the shielded cable & are wrapped in insulation tape.
It's back in with the head unit in pic 7 & a quick test in pic 8 - success!
After much swearing & sweating, finally got the vent back in in pic 9, & pic 10 shows the finished product, all back together again.
The aux in works fine with my Nokia Xpressmusic phone, it's a bit quieter than the radio or CD, but I expected that.
The funny thing was, I drove around for several days with the nav unit removed, but the radio still worked & I still got audible speed camera warnings when approaching cams!

Attachments

·
Registered
705 Posts
Hey, I had the same problem finding information about removal of the older small screen NAV. Wish I had seen you were doing this before now. The hardest problem I had was removing the heater vents (which of course decided to break). When I measure, the vent unit is larger across the width than the opening will allow for. The instructions show a bottom clipping mechanism to the NAV that is accessed by removing the round button below "menu". Since the instructions in the Bentley did not help, and since the top of the NAV unit has a screw in the middle blocked by the heater vent, well - there ya go.

If you don't mind (and not presuming to hijack) I'd like to post some pictures about the older small screen NAV unit removal to go with your large screen info.

(Off to read through your links.)

Thanks,
Mac

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Go for it

Hey Mac, you're welcome to post your pics here as well. Those centre vents are a *****, aren't they? I sorta busted mine a bit on the top, but they pushed back again eventually & look good as now.
Steve

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Nice work :thumbsup:

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That 4 pin black connector behind the NAV, any idea what the electrical schematic designators are?
Not sure which one you mean...is it an 'orphan' (unconnected) or is there something plugged in to it?

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
BMW aux input installation instructions

Here they are if you need them. Just got my wire coding, capacitor size & resistor impedance from them.

Attachments

·
Registered
705 Posts
Yeah that's the thing - the PDF is for 9/02 and later. And your car is an '05.

I'm trying to track down information for an 08/2000. And I always get the reply "Oh that's before the cut off date.... too bad."

The connector I'm looking for was that black four pin flat one not plugged into anything and wrapped inside tape - part of the wiring harness for the white and blue connectors to the 16:9 NAV unit -

Uh... wait a sec... ok, three pin, and GOT IT

X14118

This isn't in my harness, so I'll have to track back where those wires splice in. Then again, maybe the 4:3 NAV just doesn't have any software for AUX at all. And maybe the amp just doesn't have any ports for AUX wires.

Thank you very much for that pdf file. Off to hunt more snipe,

Mac

Attachments

1 - 20 of 36 Posts