BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I guess now Autozone doesn't check codes for free or at all anymore. I went today and they told me that they can no longer check since they got sued:hmm: So now I'm stuck with this "SERVICE ENGINE SOON":banghead:. It sucks because every so often the light turns on and off. So now I have to go to the STEALERSHIP to see what code my car is throwing,which sucks because Im low on cash.

So all and all I am just posting this to tell you guys that AUTOZONE doesn't do free checks on codes anymore............well at least in my area (So Cal):cry:

·
Registered
7,493 Posts
buy a peak tool from ken at bimmer tools here...............no dealer till you find out if you can fix yourself, unless you have a trust fund

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
I recommend you buy the Peake tool from Ken I just purchased mine a few days ago. He's got awesome customer service by the way:thumbsup:

Think about it ... you might pay more upfront but then its yours to keep for the next time it happens and it reads bmw specific codes not just generic obdII

·
There I was, Sicily, 1918..
2,531 Posts
I recommend you buy the Peake tool from Ken I just purchased mine a few days ago. He's got awesome customer service by the way:thumbsup:
:werd:
Think about it ... you might pay more upfront but then its yours to keep for the next time it happens and it reads bmw specific codes not just generic obdII
The sad thing is he probably won't pay much more than at the dealer... they seem to charge around $100 for a one-time read -- the tool's, what, $130, and you can use it forever.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
:werd:The sad thing is he probably won't pay much more than at the dealer... they seem to charge around $100 for a one-time read -- the tool's, what, $130, and you can use it forever.
+1

The dealership diagnostic fee will be at least as much as the Peake tool.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
:werd:The sad thing is he probably won't pay much more than at the dealer... they seem to charge around $100 for a one-time read -- the tool's, what, $130, and you can use it forever.
exactly my point:thumbsup:

·
Is NOT A Mechanic
5,891 Posts
You're all hired.

OP - read the article in my sig titled "Is your check engine light on?" - it explains the very important differences between generic OBDII codes and tools and the BMW specific variety like those from Peake Research.

[email protected] if you have any questions about the tools.

Good luck - and thanks to all you guys for the awesome support!

Ken

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Okay ... Weekly or Biweekly pay? :eeps::D

·
Is NOT A Mechanic
5,891 Posts
i wonder what the real cause of them stopping free code checks? who would sue because something is free?
I'm 'guessing' there are a few possible reasons:

1. They weren't seeing increases in sales due to this free service, most likely the intended purpose.

2. The people reading the codes are most likely not trained mechanics, but you can bet most of them gave advice (with good intent) - possibly leading to improper fixes and money wasted.

3. They'd just reset the light at the request of the driver, then when something actually fails, the store gets blamed.

4. State inspection agencies felt they were being undermined because any driver could clear codes they rely on for emissions inspections.

When they first started doing this, I immediately thought it was a bad idea - and not because of my business interests. OBDII codes are designed for standardized emissions inspections. Their use as a true diagnostic code is limited to a handful of car brands - especially BMWs. Providing a no-repercussions way of just blindly resetting the light is just not a smart business idea.

·
Registered
1 Posts
From my experiences, they will not clear it. The AutoZone near my house had a cheap reader… it would only read the code no erase function. Advance Auto would also ONLY read it no erase capabilities.

Just my 2 cents

JoeyO

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Hmmmmm I dont know what the case is in Cali, but I just called my local autozone and they said as long as the vehicle is 96' and newer they'd do it for free:hmm:

·
Registered
2,364 Posts

2. The people reading the codes are most likely not trained mechanics, but you can bet most of them gave advice (with good intent) - possibly leading to improper fixes and money wasted.
I'd heard that repair shops had lobbied our wonderful legislature to ban loaning code scanners with a similar argument: People will read the codes, and without the proper training they'll do an improper fix and be a safety hazard.

4. State inspection agencies felt they were being undermined because any driver could clear codes they rely on for emissions inspections.
Wouldn't work. When you clear the codes it also resets the readiness state that emissions tests require. It wouldn't be ready to test until it's run through all requirements for time at temp, steady throttle, etc...

From my experiences, they will not clear it. The AutoZone near my house had a cheap reader***8230; it would only read the code no erase function. Advance Auto would also ONLY read it no erase capabilities.

Just my 2 cents

JoeyO
The Autozones I went to usually had different model scanners, but all would clear the codes.

If my wife didn't have a Saturn I would have bought a Peake from Ken, but since I need to read it's codes too I got an AutoXray Codescout 4000. It can read and clear all the codes, display freeze-frame data, and do real-time monitoring of sensors so it should be pretty useful.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Go to Advance Auto... We check for free, anyone that tells you different is a liar

1 - 20 of 60 Posts