BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
needs a new sig...
4,600 Posts
i dont understand how BMW would ever know you tracked the car... jesus why so everyone alwsy so scared about warranty..they have to prove that aftermarket parts caused the problem inorder to void that aprt of the warranty..and i dont think that driving the car even if it is a track event could void anyhting is the car has original parts in it..the car is meant to be driven, however, whereever and whenever you want!

·
needs a new sig...
4,600 Posts
THIS IS NOT MENAT TO FLAME!

i dont understand how BMW would ever know you tracked the car... jesus why so everyone alwsy so scared about warranty..they have to prove that aftermarket parts caused the problem inorder to void that aprt of the warranty..and i dont think that driving the car even if it is a track event could void anyhting is the car has original parts in it..the car is meant to be driven, however, whereever and whenever you want!

·
1.888.JLEVISW
29,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The only reason I am worried about my warranty is that my dad bought the car for me so if I voided the warantee he might not be very happy. But sounds like AutoX doesn't void anything, or at least they have no way of knowing so sounds good...:thumbup:

Also, does autoX or driving hard really hurt the car? I would imagine it puts more stress on the car, does this effect the life of the car? BTW I have step...:thumbup:

·
Registered
740 Posts
Nick325xiT 5spd said:
Just remember, slow in, fast out in the corners.
good advice

·
Addicted to Autocross
1,280 Posts
Just Do It...

BMWERKEN said:
The only reason I am worried about my warranty is that my dad bought the car for me so if I voided the warantee he might not be very happy. But sounds like AutoX doesn't void anything, or at least they have no way of knowing so sounds good...:thumbup:

Also, does autoX or driving hard really hurt the car? I would imagine it puts more stress on the car, does this effect the life of the car? BTW I have step...:thumbup:
I seem to be one of the few e46ers who autocross regularly. Go to my website at http://shinobi.bmw330ci.com/Autocross/default.htm. Autocrossing is stressful mainly on your tires...it'll really wear them out. Don't mention it to the dealers. The local BMW dealer here is a Dinan-authorized shop - I've got a ton of mods and they never give me any problems. They noticed that my tires were really worn and that I needed service faster than most people, but I just told them I like to drive my car hard.

Autocrossing is probably the safest way to really push your car to its limits and gives you a much greater appreciation of BMW engineering. Highly recommended :thumbup: (and I drive a Steptronic too)

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
I believe using your car for competitive events does void the warranty. However, even that's not a problem. Only championship events are considered "competitive" and the rest are mostly for fun or for driver training. If the dealer asks you about your excessive tire wear just tell them you drive hard on the streets or that you took the car to driving school.

I'll give you some other tips. Bring a tire gauge, air pump, and some chalk. I recommend starting w/ 40 psi all around, and mark your sidewall radially (from edge of rim to tread) in a few places. After each run inspect the chalk marks. If the sidewall portion is wearing away then you need more air to prevent the tires from rolling over. If the marks on the edges of the treads are still there then let out some air. Also walk the course at least three times in the morning and don't be afraid to take it easy the first time. Remember to look ahead too! That alone will solve many problems. When you get comfortable turn off DSC and have some sideway fun. ;)

·
Registered
401 Posts
BMWERKEN said:
sounds like AutoX doesn't void anything, or at least they have no way of knowing so sounds good...:thumbup:

thumbup:
Yo bmwerken if u ever go down to the track and want some company id be down to go. I've never been.Hit me up, peace

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I was thinking of tracking also. I have step with Smg Paddleshift retro and think that might make tracking even more fun considering I can keep both hands on the wheel and shift. From what I've heard the AutoX does a number on tires and brakes, and it'll really break in your suspension. Has anyone here done auto crossing with an SMG wheel, either in an M3 or 325/30? Is it an advantage over console shifting with one hand on the wheel?

·
Slow in, slower out
4,651 Posts
I heard this directly from the mouth of Rich Brekkus who was the M brand manager or some other sort of vice president at BMW NA about 3 years ago. Racing voids the warranty on the entire car. Autocrossing is a timed event and is therefore racing. Autocrossing voids your warranty.

What he didn't say but is generally understood is that autocrossing is popular amongst BMWCCA members and BMWCCA members buy BMWs and recommend them to their friends. Most dealers seem to adopt a don't ask-don't tell attitude. Do not even say the word "autocross" when you are at your dealer for service and they won't bother you. If you plan on going to SCCA national tour events though, you can probably expect BMW NA to make a phone call to your dealer.

Brekkus also said "Limited driving school attendance does NOT void your warranty." He did not define what "limited" attendance is but he did say that too many driving schools is considered abuse and abuse voids you warranty. if you do one or two driving school days a year, you should have no problems with your dealer. If you do 3 to 4 days a year, don't complain about warped rotors or worn out brake pads. If you do 5 or more days a year, I suggest keeping an extremely low profile at the service desk.

Ed

EDIT: According to the owners manual, racing voids the warranty on the entire car.

·
GarrettF said:
THIS IS NOT MENAT TO FLAME!

tell that to the Z06 owners that had representatives from GM writing down their VIN numbers at events....not cool on performance cars:thumbdwn:

...and everything Ed(teamdfl) said is dead-on....

·
Registered
443 Posts
teamdfl said:
I heard this directly from the mouth of Rich Brekkus who was the M brand manager or some other sort of vice president at BMW NA about 3 years ago. Racing voids the warranty on the entire car. Autocrossing is a timed event and is therefore racing. Autocrossing voids your warranty.

What he didn't say but is generally understood is that autocrossing is popular amongst BMWCCA members and BMWCCA members buy BMWs and recommend them to their friends. Most dealers seem to adopt a don't ask-don't tell attitude. Do not even say the word "autocross" when you are at your dealer for service and they won't bother you. If you plan on going to SCCA national tour events though, you can probably expect BMW NA to make a phone call to your dealer.

Brekkus also said "Limited driving school attendance does NOT void your warranty." He did not define what "limited" attendance is but he did say that too many driving schools is considered abuse and abuse voids you warranty. if you do one or two driving school days a year, you should have no problems with your dealer. If you do 3 to 4 days a year, don't complain about warped rotors or worn out brake pads. If you do 5 or more days a year, I suggest keeping an extremely low profile at the service desk.

Ed

EDIT: According to the owners manual, racing voids the warranty on the entire car.
Which owners maual? and what page. Cause I have looked at most of them and they don't even bring up racing .

EDIT: Also won't this mean that the drivers school that you get for free with a purchase of a M5 void the warrenty ?

·
Registered
88 Posts
BMWERKEN said:
My friend, who has an E36 M3 and I are going to do autoX events this summer. My question is, that if I participate in an autoX event, does this void my warranty? If so, does it void it all or what?:dunno:
I'd agree with what most people said in this forum about autocrossing. I wouldn't walk into the dealer and say, "while I was autocrossing, this part started to make a noise..." As long as you don't mention it, there really is no way for them to know. I autocrossed my A4 1.8T for three years and the dealer never knew about it. On the upside, you get a set of new brake shoes a bit earlier. :) hehe Oh, and in my local area, we don't call it racing because the insurance doesn't like that...they call it a "skill event" which just happens to be timed. ;)

About autocrossing a car -- All the suggestions given were good. I might add and stress one more point though.

1. If they allow you to walk the course before the event starts, DO IT! :) There are many times at the local events that people just get lost on the course. I usually walk it 2-3 times before I race and I will try to mentally "drive" the course in my head before I go out there.
2. If you have never gone before, ask an instructor or someone who has autocrossed before to ride along with you on your first and/or second run. (usually you get at least 3) Having someone experienced go with you can be very helpful because they can point out the things that you can work on like if you are going into a corner too fast, or giving too much steering input, etc.
3. I wanted to stress looking ahead. I still have trouble with this, but it helps soo much and your times will just drop! It is very easy to focus on the next corner, but if you look where you want to go, the car will follow.
4. Lastly, go slow to go fast and be smooth. It sounds stupid, but it's easy to overdrive the course. And being smooth is also very important...you will notice this through most of the course, but particularly in the slaloms. (slalom is where you alternate the side you drive around a traffic cone for those who don't know)

Anyhow, that's my 2cents. :) You can also try scca.org for more local autocrossing events in your area. (autocrossing=solo2 for scca events) I look forward to autocrossing each month -- it's just a blast! Best of luck!

This is not my car, btw...but a good pic. :) (notice the "sea of cones" problem? sometimes the courses are chalked, but sometimes not. easy to get lost if you didn't walk it before hand)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts