BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I ran another AutoX today in my E46 323 cabrio. I'm slowly getting there, but unfortuantely I'm running DSP because of my RD sways, fsb, muffler and Dinan CAI. I was actually complimented on my driving today :thumbup: by one of the instructors about being smooth.

However, I have a problem with grip. Right now I'm AutoX on my daily wheels, M68s staggered with Contis ( :eek: ). There's a one month hiatus before the next season, which starts in January.

I have a set of OEM 16" that came with my car - the sunflower looking ones. I would like to know the following:

- What is the width of the wheels? (sorry they are in VA I'm in FL)
- What is the widest tire I can fit on them?
- What is a good tire to run on a heavy car like mine? These will only be used for AutoX and not daily drive. Something a bump up from S03s (which I have experience with)?

- Am I running in the right class? The event guys weren't really sure where to put me. My times are competitive but I'm also running with modded Integras, SIs, IS300s, et cetera. No F/I is allowed but I'm easily the heaviest car there with the worst power/weight ratio. However, I love the RWD advantage, it came in handy today.

- I need to change to a more aggressive pad, just one that doesn't screech when I'm using them around town.

Sorry for the multitude of questions, eagerly seeking advice.
:pimpin:

·
BMW Land Barge
1,377 Posts
215/45 Falken Azenis Sports.

These are essentially the grippest street tires you can buy. They beat the crap out of S-03s in anything but deep water.

Run a full season before you get R-tires. I've just started using them, and the complete and utter lack of forgiveness is stunning.

·
Slow in, slower out
4,652 Posts
Your stock 16s at 7 inches wide. For the best bang-for-the-buck in DSP, run some 225/50/16 Kumho Victoracer V700 R compounds on them.

Ed

·
Banned
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nick325xiT 5spd said:
215/45 Falken Azenis Sports.

These are essentially the grippest street tires you can buy. They beat the crap out of S-03s in anything but deep water.

Run a full season before you get R-tires. I've just started using them, and the complete and utter lack of forgiveness is stunning.
Thanks for the help guys - I should have clarified, I don't want to run R comps next season. Next season will be my first full season in this car and I'm still learning her. I want something just short of the unforgiveness of R comps.

Quackman, the link didn't work for me.

Another plus of the 16s is that they are pretty damn light, because my car is super duper heavy.

Is there a place where you order your Azenis or Victoracers from?

·
Banned
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
quackman said:
http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Disp...ia&wheelModel=Daisy&wheelFinish=White+Painted
flower wheel, you should buy it, this link SHOULD work,unlike the one I posted before....
:eek: You know what I meant - the normal stock 16" that came on 325s. Those might look nice on a Beetle though.:D

So 225 is the widest tire I can run on my stock 16s? I will probably be ordering tires at the end of the month. I need to ship my 16s down from VA.

What about tread wear? Will they last a full 7-8 auto-x event season?

·
BMW Land Barge
1,377 Posts
My first set of Azeni lasted me a good, solid twenty autoxes plus two EVO schools (approximately 40 short runs). They had a fair bit of tread left when I tossed them, but needed to go from 215/45 to 205/55 for daily use.

Victoracers should also last you about two of your seasons.

·
Banned
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for your help guys, esp. Nick,

I'm going to place an order for some Azenis, are these the Falken Azenis Sports? I just want to make sure I order the right thing.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/d...ource=vehicle&index=11&productCodeIndex=28793

Anyone know how much the stock 16s weigh over the M68s? I contemplated buying an extra paid of M68s and using them to autox but the 16s felt really light when I took them off. Just curious. Any other drawbacks to running 16s? Slower turn in?

I ran two events this year in the cabrio and had decent times compared to my field. Although my class leader is 3 seconds ahead but a much better driver. He's in a modded Civic SI. I just wanted to make a few improvements this month off and come back next year and shoot for a podium finish. :)

I've also contemplated getting the Shark to help my 3800lb sub 180hp car. :dunno:

·
Banned
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Banned
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
One last question - would I see a significant different running these on M68s as compared to the stock 16 flower looking wheel? I think the 16s are a bit lighter but not as wide. Just curious because I could buy a spare set of curb rashed M68s for cheap.

·
BMW Land Barge
1,377 Posts
No, not really.

Remember that 215/45-16 is actually a lower profile than the 225/45 you'd fit on 17" wheels. And the gearing advantage (Calculations based on actual dimensions have come up with a 10% difference) would also help your way overweight pig. :)

I'd stick with the 16s. Get 17s whenever you get R-tires, but there's no reason not to mount Azeni on your existing 16s.

·
Banned
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Don't they have the same profile? 45?

I thought the first # meant width. Sorry, just trying to understand the first part of your post.

·
BMW Land Barge
1,377 Posts
Well, I should have said "shorter sidewall," as we're talking about 45% of 215 instead of 45% of 225. Plus, actual measurements have suggested that the sidewall of the 215s is more like that of a 215/40.

And yes, I've spent WAY too much time thinking about tires. Not only do they know me by name at the local tire shop, but they tell me that I've "bought enough tires." Not a good sign. :p

·
Banned
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks, I'll let you know how they turn out when it starts back up in Jan. :)

·
Banned
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I didn't have a chance to ship my 16"s down to FL so I would like to purchase the Azeni Sports for my M68s staggered setup. I can't find the rears anywhere...does anyone know of a place I can order them from or purchase them in the Ft. Lauderdale area?

Help is greatly appreciated. :)

·
Banned
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Bump.

·
BMW Land Barge
1,377 Posts
In that case, you'd just want to just run 225/45 all around. 245/45 will screw with your gearing.

discountiredirect.com sells them, although they're not local obviously.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts