BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone has heard about (or better yet, experienced and realized) any performance gains coming from the Autothority ECU reprogramming. For my car (2002 330Ci) they claim that their software upgrade can increase RWHP by 14, and torque by 16 lb/ft.

Now, word on the street is that Dinan is the premier aftermarket source for BMW performance, especially ECU upgrades. Dinan, however, concedes that they cannot manipulate the stock computer to increase power on the 2000-up 325 and 330. They do say thier program can increase throttle response, raise the rev limiter, and eliminate the top speed governor. Authority makes the same claim, but with the addition of the hp/torque increases.

As I said, just wondering if the Autothority software will make a noticable difference or not. Seems a bit strange that Autothority claims they can do something that Dinan cannot. Thanks in advance for your responses.

Tim R.
2002 330Cic
Electric Red/Black int w/alum
Sport Pkg.
5-speed
18" Breyton Visions with 225-40/18 and 255-35/18

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Tim30250 said:
Now, word on the street is that Dinan is the premier aftermarket source for BMW performance, especially ECU upgrades. Dinan, however, concedes that they cannot manipulate the stock computer to increase power on the 2000-up 325 and 330. They do say thier program can increase throttle response, raise the rev limiter, and eliminate the top speed governor. Authority makes the same claim, but with the addition of the hp/torque increases.

As I said, just wondering if the Autothority software will make a noticable difference or not. Seems a bit strange that Autothority claims they can do something that Dinan cannot. Thanks in advance for your responses.
Dinan is hardly the premier aftermarket source for BMW performance. They're probably the most expensive, but there's very little they offer that isn't offered elsewhere. Their software programming is rather conservative, hence the non-existant power gains. Active Autowerke, Technik and the Shark have all proven to provide gains. I haven't heard of anyone with the Autothority software, so I can't say whether it delivers what it promises, but I wouldn't discredit them.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I've heard of Autothority and they have been tuning German cars for awhile. I've heard good things about them as well. Did you try their website?

·
Mooove, get out the way!
1,120 Posts
I'm sorry but I have heard some not so good things about their software regarding BMW's. As for Porsche, that's a different story. 14hp and 16 lb/ft of torque, to the rear wheels? No way. I've been to there shop, it's quite nice. Check out bimmerforums.com and do a search on Autothority.

·
Registered
20 Posts
i think the gains seen by the authority software seem a bit inflated. true, there is some power to be gotten from software tuning on a 330, but i don't think the factory tune is so far off to see such a big gain starting from one point in the powerband, ~5000rpms. also, much of their gains are shown for the upper end of the powerband, an area that you don't drive in normally.

if you compare to dyno charts provided by active autowerke, they show a more "regular" trend as far as power increase. a mild bump throughout the rev range. granted the numbers seem more conservative, but also seem more realistic.

it would be better to go in expecting 6hp and getting 10hp than to expect 15hp and get 10hp.

but with any dyno graphs provided by the manufacturer, take it all with a grain of salt and just ask around to see what real customers have experience with each product. lots of people like the aa stuff and run it, so i would recommend talking to them.

·
Registered
215 Posts
xS3x said:
i have seen someone over at my330ci.com psoted their dynograph..(not barry). and it gave no gains at all
Yeah, Barry loves his Autothority chip.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts