E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched the forum and YouTube (albeit briefly, I admit) for a solution and had little luck.

What's the easiest way to get the automatic/steptronic shift knob off of a car when it is in park... as in locked in park because it's waiting next to the crusher and there are no keys or battery :facepalm: Found a perfect knob down the street on a junker but there are no keys and the transmission is in "Park".

If I need to, I'll tediously dismantle the center console, but if there is an easy way to put it into neutral to get the knob off, it would really help. Thanks!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Don't you need to have the button pressed in? That would require use of the brake...

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Get a good grip and balance and yank it straight off. I pull it off while in 'D', however it can't be too difficult while in park. Just try to avoid smashing your hands against the dash/radio area.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Well since its a junker stand in the best position and grip it tight and pull like your life depends on (or your beemers Haha). Is the front window smashed? It would help a lot in being able to really stand up over the knob.

Sent from my PG86100 using Bimmer

·
Registered
5,689 Posts
Well since its a junker stand in the best position and grip it tight and pull like your life depends on (or your beemers Haha). Is the front window smashed? It would help a lot in being able to really stand up over the knob.

Sent from my PG86100 using Bimmer
wear gloves. you hand hitting the dash is gonna hurt like a mofo:evil:

·
Registered
707 Posts
Had you been able to place it into D and pull straight up, your face would act as a natural brake for your rapidly ascending hands and hard shift knob. Therefore gloves wouldn't be required ('Jason' style goalie mask recomended though). Under the circumstances you will not have this advantage so you might want to go ahead and protect the knuckles agains dash scrape.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I don't think it's that hard to remove, especially if it has been removed before. You might be able to push it up with your thumbs if you are strong enough, but if you pull, just be ready to release quickly as soon as you feel no resistance. A pillow or something to cushion any blow to the dashboard might make you feel a little safer.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well the deed is done and I have a new shift knob. It actually ended up rather easy. The shift knob won't come off in park, but after cutting the boot and breaking away the plate with PRND on it (this was a junker, so channel locks were my best friend!), I was able to unlock the shifter and slide it into neutral. The knob popped right off. Also found a nice pile of BMW tools! Love junkyards.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
I just replaced mine today. Since I wrapped the trim with carbon fiber the fake wood shifter looked like crap. I ordered a nice leather wrapped knob from ECS Tuning at a price nobody else could come close to.

I went out this morning before work... Put the ignition to the #2 position (engine off), put on the ebrake, put the trans in drive, wiggled the knob left and right while pulling up and in about 10 seconds it popped off. I only needed one hand! I pushed the other down on the shaft and popped the top of it with my hand... Looks great, works great!

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Just pull on it, not that tough. Get a maxi-pad to help out if you don't get it off the first time

·
Registered
103 Posts
and what ever you do pull it STRAIGHT UP no turning AT ALL. I had a slight oops when I was pulling mine out and broke the plastic rod that is in there.:banghead::censor:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts