BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2000 323ci I was putting the top up on a hot day and it stopped working right before it was going to lock itself in. I had to hold the top up button while pulling down on the top itself to get it to close. Now it will only unlock and then nothing happens. Can anyone help me trouble shoot please..

·
Registered
955 Posts
2000 323ci I was putting the top up on a hot day and it stopped working right before it was going to lock itself in. I had to hold the top up button while pulling down on the top itself to get it to close. Now it will only unlock and then nothing happens. Can anyone help me trouble shoot please..
Check to make sure that the handle in the trunk is completely engaged and locked ( It's the one that swings out when you have the top up to give you a bit more room).

Check the fuse.

Since yours is a MY 2000, it may be due for some top hydraulic fluid. Do a search and you'll learn more than you need.

It's got a bind somewhere. Try lubricating the pivot points on the cage.

Thanks all I can think of....

Good Luck

ed in NJ

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Also I don't know if this is related but the hazard lights button and the door lock/unlock button are not working also....

Sent from my Desire HD using Bimmer App

·
Registered
943 Posts
Also I don't know if this is related but the hazard lights button and the door lock/unlock button are not working also....

Sent from my Desire HD using Bimmer App
Might be worth checking your battery

·
Registered
205 Posts
Also, do NOT hold the top up or top down button down for more then 15 -20 seconds...doing so will send a fault code which lock out the top. A trip the dealer would then be needed
Sooo... There is no way to clear this and you can only go to the dealer (or assumability an indy shop) that can clear it?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Any one know how to do this:
"The ignition switch must be cycled to clear the fault before the top will again function."

·
Registered
102 Posts
When you press the button do the windows drop? If it does then the top is not locked out. If it does nothing then the cvm is locked and will not work. You do not need to go to the dealer to unlock it. Cvm has no EPROM memory so by disconnecting the battery for 3 mins or pulling I believe it is fuse 42? It is bottom row like 10 in check your fuse card I think it is the first (4?) fuse. Sounds like you have wire separation above the drivers head is the typical bending point that cracks the wire the internal copper wire. It will not look broken just the inside break apart. Good luck I hope this helps!!!!!

·
Registered
205 Posts
When you press the button do the windows drop? If it does then the top is not locked out. If it does nothing then the cvm is locked and will not work. You do not need to go to the dealer to unlock it. Cvm has no EPROM memory so by disconnecting the battery for 3 mins or pulling I believe it is fuse 42? It is bottom row like 10 in check your fuse card I think it is the first (4?) fuse. Sounds like you have wire separation above the drivers head is the typical bending point that cracks the wire the internal copper wire. It will not look broken just the inside break apart. Good luck I hope this helps!!!!!
I can now press the button to open it I get the red light, but does nothing. I have tried pulling the neg terminal a few times and have even left off for 2+ hours with no results. I will see if I can check the condition of wires before I take it to the stealer.
Do you pull the fuse while the battery is connected? I checked the fuses, all looked fine, however i did this while negative was disconnected.

·
Registered
5 Posts
This happened to mine and the microswitch needed to be replaced, this cost £40 sterling here so about $70 and took about 2 hours to fix. Spot on now

·
Registered
205 Posts
I'll post my update here as well, as I was asking questions.

UPDATE: ok, well I figured Id give it one last look over before a trip to the stealer. I checked the fuses again while connected, bought a new battery, not yet installed. Then decided after the reading, what the hell- I'll check the "broken wire" un did the loom, looks 100% fine.. start cutting open very carefully and there it is.... That F-ing Brown w/yellow wire broken in half... I was soo pissed but soooo Happy ... 5 min of cutting it open soldiering it and taping back up. My Top works again!

Thanks everyone here for the help!

Doug

·
Europrojektz Southeast
1,420 Posts
I had the same problem too. It was hard to trouble shoot as all my wires look find other than the minor kink. I ended up cutting a section of the brown/red wire and replace it with a new wire and the problem went away.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
I'll post my update here as well, as I was asking questions.

UPDATE: ok, well I figured Id give it one last look over before a trip to the stealer. I checked the fuses again while connected, bought a new battery, not yet installed. Then decided after the reading, what the hell- I'll check the "broken wire" un did the loom, looks 100% fine.. start cutting open very carefully and there it is.... That F-ing Brown w/yellow wire broken in half... I was soo pissed but soooo Happy ... 5 min of cutting it open soldiering it and taping back up. My Top works again!

Thanks everyone here for the help!

Doug
:thumbsup:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts