BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Damn Drivin' Fool!
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone retrofitted their manual AC/heating unit with an automatic one? Difficulties?

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
I have no idea. But I have the auto climate control unit for sale if you need one. Asking USD$250, close to brand new condition.

·
Groccery Getter
958 Posts
E 40 SIX said:
:eeps: Anyone?
Hey eddie what's up? Haven't seen you in a while. Doing some artic training....:lmao: You and me both have the dials. I dont know of anyone doing a retrofit because everyone in the STATES have the Automatic climate control, there's maybe one or two. Did you get the onboard computer when you ordered??????? I did not so I think that's why we didn't get the ACC. I'm doing a retrofit for the signal stalk OBC that tells you the Temp outside and the mileage at the moment http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?threadid=47474&highlight=Turn+signal+stalk but the ACC is going to be one of the next projects. I think the best person to ask if you have all the parts is VinceTopazBlau325i. I believe he has the BMW parts service repair manual TIS ETK CD. The only thing to do is wait till Monday and call the dealership. I called the dealership and asked the service guy about getting the signal stalk to work so I got an appointment on the 19th at Countyline BMW to reprogram my compter so the OBC will work. I'm sure you can install it yourself also to save a bundle. Looks pretty easy. Good luck.

·
Damn Drivin' Fool!
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
'Sup, bro. Yeah, I just got back from a 2 week FTX/EXEVAL. It was cold as hell, so I guess it was more or less artic training.

I'm going to get the Bently manual and see exactly how easy it will be to install the unit myself. I don't want to end up paying the dealer an assload of money only to discover that it's a super easy install. I'll give it a try and report my findings. I wish I had gotten the on-board computer myself. I had it in my '88 750i E32 and it was a helpful little set-up. Good luck with your OBC retrofit and I look forward to hearing about the results. Now I've got to find time to install my new CAI today. :D

·
Slow in, slower out
4,753 Posts
Ausfahrt said:

... You and me both have the dials. I dont know of anyone doing a retrofit because everyone in the STATES have the Automatic climate control, there's maybe one or two...
Call me a retro grouch but I have always hated the automatic climate control snce the E36. The E46 version didn't seem any better so I ordered my car without it. I love the simplicity of twisting a knob to set the airflow and temp exactly where I like it.

Ed

·
Damn Drivin' Fool!
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I'm pretty much satisfied with the manual AC/heating unit as well. But I just love the way the HVAC unit illuminates at night. :tongue:

·
Groccery Getter
958 Posts
E 40 SIX said:
Yeah, I'm pretty much satisfied with the manual AC/heating unit as well. But I just love the way the HVAC unit illuminates at night. :tongue:

Get a knife and cut open a Cemlight and splash it all over you Climate control dials. You'll get the same effect.:lmao:

·
Damn Drivin' Fool!
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ausfahrt said:

Get a knife and cut open a Cemlight and splash it all over you Climate control dials. You'll get the same effect.:lmao:
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

:flipoff:

·
Damn Drivin' Fool!
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Real quick. Can anyone with a Bentley manual explain to me how to remove the AC/Heating head unit? Do I just need to stick a flat head screwdriver in an depress the detents?

·
The De46vil's Army
20,207 Posts
i have the auto climate, auto wipers, and auto headlights, but i have manaul trans! priorities baby, priorities

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have something that will help

I have a retrofit form for Manual Ac to Auto(Original BMW)
But..... It is in German

email me if you are interested at

[email protected]
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Registered
752 Posts
I spoke with the service foreman at the dealership....he said it is not compatible. Not only do you have to buy the unit but you have to buy the wiring harness (different plugs apparently) among other things. You also have to reprogram your car. All together he said it would cost roughly $1700. I don't know how accurate the info he gave me was. Let us know if you guys heard differently.;)

·
Damn Drivin' Fool!
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
sam said:
I spoke with the service foreman at the dealership....he said it is not compatible. Not only do you have to buy the unit but you have to buy the wiring harness (different plugs apparently) among other things. You also have to reprogram your car. All together he said it would cost roughly $1700. I don't know how accurate the info he gave me was. Let us know if you guys heard differently.;)
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

LOL! Are you f*cking sh*tting me??!! That guy just fed you a load of bullsh*t! I just finished the install! The entire process took less than 30 minutes! It'll take even less than that now that I know how to do it! Holy crap! I feel sorry for the poor sap who falls for that one! It was all plug and play, baby. There is absolutely NO NEED for an additional wiring harness or any super difficult installation or special tools. All you need is that screw driver from your trunk tool kit and 20 minutes at the most to kill. The HVAC works flawlessly with my manual connections. And there is absolutely no need to reprogram sh*t!!! LOL. That service guy needs to get shot.

Here's proof. Before...

Attachments

·
Damn Drivin' Fool!
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, the pics are crappy. I was sitting too close when I snapped them. Regardless, I paid $72 for a used HVAC unit and paid NOTHING to retrofit it. Here's my old one sitting here in my living room as I type this...

Attachments

·
Damn Drivin' Fool!
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Any of you HVAC haters out there interested in a manual AC/heating unit for sale? I'll even install it for you at the my special low Christmas rate of $1500! That's a $200 savings from the dealership! :D

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm interested....

I hate the auto climate control. Give me good old dials any day! Unfortunatley, my 325i was built after they started making auto climate standard.

Can you describe the process to install it?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts