E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have an '05 330 ZHP with the steptronic automatic transmission. I would like to do a 0-60 time. Will I hurt my car if I hold one foot on the brake, the other foot on the gas, then release my foot off the brake?

If I won't hurt my car, is there a limit on the revolutions before I take my foot off the brake? Should I release at 4k, 5k, 6k, 7k?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Not sure about Bimmers but I used to have an automatic Eagle Talon TSi AWD... that car would only rev to a certain point, even with an MSD it would only go so high. Never hurt that car... did it a lot too. But AWD was probably easier on the drive train than rear since the shock was dispersed to all four wheels.

·
Registered
870 Posts
the car won't let you rev past a certain rpm when you hold on the brake, i forget i haven't done it since I got the car, its not that high though. It's for traction purposes so you can get a good launch.

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,397 Posts
OP, I know you're post is about you doing 0-60 times. But by chance do you have your original brochure and does it have listed the BMW 0-60 for an automatic 330cic-zhp? I have gathered data and yet can't find BMW's numbers for the 330 convertible that's automatic and ZHP. Thanks :hi:

·
Registered
857 Posts
If I won't hurt my car, is there a limit on the revolutions before I take my foot off the brake? Should I release at 4k, 5k, 6k, 7k?
With your foot on the brake, the torque converter will only allow you to rev the engine to it's stall speed, which I suspect isn't any higher than 2500rpm or so.

If you insist on brake-standing a 14 second car, do it for as briefly as possible before launching. Brake-standing for longer than a few seconds is a great way to cook your transmission fluid...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok so I hadn't tried it before and I was looking at my RPM gauge and know the red line is at 7k. I'm still learning about my ZHP. The automatic time is supposed to be around 6.2 I think. Not knowing to have the engine revving before lauching I had a time around 8 seconds when I tried it a month or so ago. Unofficial as I was on a long & empty street

·
Registered
51 Posts
i know nothing about steptronic transmissions..but do you have a neutral?

if you do...just rev and then shift into gear?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Why have possible tire spin in the beginning, your looking for the fastest launch, don't spin at all.

Shift before it gets to redline, you lose much pull at the hgher RPMs, you may have a better time shifting around 4 - 5000, but keep your foot planted on the gas.

·
Falling from 14k ft.
3,678 Posts
6.4 seconds (convertible weighs waaay more than the coupe). There - no you don't have to go and beat on your car.
I'm sure Alex will be asking the same thing, where did you get 6.4s from? Link to your source?

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
hahahaha neutral bombing ! i remember those days ! deffintly not in a e46 !
did that plenty of times back in the teenager days...posi rear in an s10 4.3L v6....spun it around quite a bit and landed in a few ditches. 300K on the truck when the original trans went BOOM! :lmao:

i miss that truck. :eeps:

·
Registered
517 Posts
i know nothing about steptronic transmissions..but do you have a neutral?

if you do...just rev and then shift into gear?

wow hahaha....dont listen to this guy..next hell tell you to shift into reverse go like 10 mph and drop it in drive

1 - 20 of 31 Posts