BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Banned
4,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you lower you car, is the auto leveling sensor supposed to adjust the level of the light accordingly? Or well i have to manually adjust the light myself then have the auto level take over from there? And is it possible to break the auto level sensor when you are driving the car?

I just got my car lowered and my auto level isn't working. I talked to the installer and he said that the sensor could break when i'm driving. Which is weird because on my old car, i never had this problem and my car was SLAMMED! When i first left with my car after it was lowered, my lights were pointed low. I'm guessing that it got stuck at the lowest position when it does that test thing right when you turn on your car.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Yes, you have to manually adjust for the lower ride height. The computer auto-levels the xenons based on the stock ride height. There is a knob next to each xenon light that moves the aiming up or down. I believe counterclockwise moves them up, although you'll have to check on that. Make sure you move both bulbs up or down the same amount. It's best to do a couple turns, then go out driving and then adjust again.

·
Banned
4,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, thats what i kinda didn't get...

But right now, when i turn on my head lights, my car used to do a little test thing where the lights move up and down. After i got my car back, it never did it anymore.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Then check to see if the adjust senor is broken or not. There are 2 senors, one in the front and one it the back of the right hand side of the car.

·
Banned
4,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow...i didnt know that there were two sensors. But i'm pretty sure it is broken, i'm just wondering if the installer broke it or did it break when i was driving like what the installer said could happen, but i highly doubt because of what i've read and experienced with my other car which was slammed?

·
ASA NO MO
2,273 Posts
100% positive the installer broke the self adjusting system. Whenever you remove the suspension, you also need to disconnect the auto-leveling system or you will break it.

Good Luck

·
Obey my dog
2,643 Posts
crispvx said:
100% positive the installer broke the self adjusting system. Whenever you remove the suspension, you also need to disconnect the auto-leveling system or you will break it.

Good Luck
:werd: installer broke it. if you don't know its there, its very easy to break

·
Registered
243 Posts
Yeah, my installer broke it too :)

I don't think you need to adjust it. Car got 2 sensors, so when you lower the car the system will think you have something heavy loaded and adjust level of headlights appropriate

·
Banned
4,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
shd said:
Yeah, my installer broke it too :)

I don't think you need to adjust it. Car got 2 sensors, so when you lower the car the system will think you have something heavy loaded and adjust level of headlights appropriate
Yup, thats what i thought....Fuk....the installer never called me back after i left my message a few days ago. I hope that nigga don't bail out on me. :thumbdwn: :banghead:

·
Registered
11,155 Posts
was your car already lowered at the meet yesterday, i didn't really notice?

·
Banned
4,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
smoke said:
was your car already lowered at the meet yesterday, i didn't really notice?
Yup :banghead:
I wanted it a bit lower tho. The cupkit gave a nice subtle drop, but i wanted it slammed.

·
P.I.M.P.
2,478 Posts
How is the ride quality on the cupkit vs stop ZHP suspension?? I want to get either PSS or a Cupkit, deciding factor would ride quality not adjustability.

·
Banned
4,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ride quality on the cup kit is just little bit firmer than stock. My gf didn't even notice a difference in ride quality at all cause she hasn't complained like she did in my old car. Handling is better than the ZHP too. Less roll and the drop look pretty nice. Just about a finger gap in the front and rear.

I was going to get coils too, but i figured that i wasn't going to adjust them often so i'd rather save the extra 300-500 bucks.

·
name's PHIL
6,165 Posts
TeKNiC330 said:

Yup :banghead:
I wanted it a bit lower tho. The cupkit gave a nice subtle drop, but i wanted it slammed.

hahahaha.........shouldve gone with coils :D :flipoff: :D

·
Registered
78 Posts
How much did you lower your car??
I have the eibach pro kit on my car and that lowered it 1.25 in the front and about 1 in the back...I never adjusted the sensors, but the lights seem to work fine.

sfzBimmer2 - do u know how many turns and which way should I do to get them level for 1.25" lowering???
Thanks guys!

·
Banned
4,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
beemer_crazy said:
How much did you lower your car??
I have the eibach pro kit on my car and that lowered it 1.25 in the front and about 1 in the back...I never adjusted the sensors, but the lights seem to work fine.

sfzBimmer2 - do u know how many turns and which way should I do to get them level for 1.25" lowering???
Thanks guys!
I think it lowered my car about 1.2 in. in front and about 1 in. in back. I have a zhp so i guess my car was a bit lower than a sport supsension e46.

Well, if you're seeing everything fine at night, then your auto leveling is working fine. Unless you want you lights to point farther.

·
www.thielstudios.com
1,418 Posts
Does anybody have a pic of this sensor? Is it on the passanger side with a little link that connects to the lower "A" arm?

·
Yes...I do think I hate you
1,749 Posts
You shouldn't have to adjust anything, look under the car and see if the installer broke it. ****, it ain't rocket science...how did all these installers break it?

heh...my installer didn't even reconnect mine once.

·
Registered
23 Posts
is it possible my car came w/ the auto-leveling incorrect to begin with? my headlights dont look normal, one actually looks brighter than the other. someone suggested that one's pointed higher than the other but is this possible?

·
Registered
243 Posts
bmw330zhp said:
is it possible my car came w/ the auto-leveling incorrect to begin with? my headlights dont look normal, one actually looks brighter than the other. someone suggested that one's pointed higher than the other but is this possible?
Right headlight must be pointed a little bit higher.

You can visit shop which can adjust your headlights as they are supposed to be using some sort of electronic system to check it .

1 - 20 of 35 Posts