BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Dinan Pimp
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a set of GEN V DDE's from Evosport earlier this year. They sent me the older style rings which fit so snug around my xeon's that they wouldn't autlevel any more. When I turned my car on at night I saw the headlights struggle to raise up and then level back down. It was like they wanted too but the older style rings I had were holding them in place so they couldn't autolevel.

I worked with umnitza and they were kind enough to send me the new style rings that don't clamp down around the xeon headlights so they don't interfere with the autoleveling. I removed the rings all together and I noticed that my autoleveling still wasn't working.

I had to take my car in to get a fog light fixed and I wanted them to take a look at the autoleveling issue. Before I took it in I went ahead and took out the light boxes as well as the rings so they wouldn't have to work around them . I explained to them that my autoleveling wasn't working. I asked them to check the autoleveling mechnanism under the car to see if that had broken or fallen off. They did check the autloveling mechanism and said it was fine but that the autoleving motor in the headlights was broken and since I had drilled wholes in the back of the housing they would not be covered under warranty. They told me that if I wanted this fix I would have to buy new XEONS!

Does this make sense? Do I have any recourse with them? I told them that I had drilled the wholes in the back of the headlight houseing and I know for a fact that I didn't hit anything. Could anything else be causing my headlights not to level? Anyone else experienced a simalar problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Rolling on Dubs. Got Boost?
4,542 Posts
Pete, sorry to hear about your problem. That does sucks that the dealer won't cover since you used DDE. To bad the xenon wont fit my car or else we could swap for my halogens and you wont have to worry about auto level :D

·
Mod Squad
12,622 Posts
Hmm... sounds like it was your bad. It looks to me like the mod caused the problem. When you noticed that your headlights were trying to auto-level, but they couldn't because of the rings, did you ever stop and think that maybe you should take 'em out? After a while the motor will burn out if it tries to move again and again, but there's something interfering with it. I don't know, maybe you can get the motor that's in the headlights replaced? Or perhaps the motor's fine, but a gear or something is stripped out? :dunno: Lastly, you could go ahead and adjust your headlights and leave them, and just not have auto-leveling.

·
Dinan Pimp
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
russ330 said:
Hmm... sounds like it was your bad. It looks to me like the mod caused the problem. When you noticed that your headlights were trying to auto-level, but they couldn't because of the rings, did you ever stop and think that maybe you should take 'em out? After a while the motor will burn out if it tries to move again and again, but there's something interfering with it. I don't know, maybe you can get the motor that's in the headlights replaced? Or perhaps the motor's fine, but a gear or something is stripped out? :dunno: Lastly, you could go ahead and adjust your headlights and leave them, and just not have auto-leveling.
russ..I think you hit it on the head and I probalby should have removed the rings as soon as I noticed the problem. I just didn't think that they would ship a product to a customer that would actually BREAK the autoleveing. :dunno: :banghead:

ILLCOMM said:
buy new boots to replace the ones you drilled in to and then go to another dealer.
Good idea..that could work.

·
First 19" ZHP
1,463 Posts
you can just get a new housing replace it and take it to another dealer, and if you want to buy new xenons let me know and ill buy yours

·
Registered
339 Posts
actually, if the dealer did what they were suppose, he can't go to another dealer to have the *problem* fixed. BMW uses a computer system that tracks cars by VINs and all dealers have access. So basically, no one will ever fix it for you because its already in the computer. I know this is true because the service manager at our local dealership in NY is one of my father's friend. So basically manually adjust them and smile :)

·
Mod Squad
12,622 Posts
CYBER PETE said:

russ..I think you hit it on the head and I probalby should have removed the rings as soon as I noticed the problem. I just didn't think that they would ship a product to a customer that would actually BREAK the autoleveing. :dunno: :banghead:

Yeah, that definitely sucks, but if they were the wrong rings, then bad stuff can happen. When I had my Gen. Vs hooked up, I had the wrong rings over the wrong lights, plus I had the fibers routed in such a manner that it messed up my auto-leveling as well.
I fiddled with it for a little while and then cut my losses, I mean I felt retarded to have a $40K car with headlights that were a $700 option and they didn't even work right because of a little trinket that costed a few hundred bucks? I was like :wtf: am I doing here and pulled 'em out. I do have a replacement on the way though... :evil:

4,238 Posts
timexp99 said:
actually, if the dealer did what they were suppose, he can't go to another dealer to have the *problem* fixed. BMW uses a computer system that tracks cars by VINs and all dealers have access. So basically, no one will ever fix it for you because its already in the computer.
This is completely true. BMW's central database will always show the information that the dealer entered.

Here is the solution:

You do NOT have to buy all-new headlights. If the only problem is that the aim adjusting motor is burned out or stripped, then that is the only part you need to replace!

It's a plug-in component within the headlight assembly, BMW part number 67 16 8 372 381 - "headlight vertucal aim control". You need one per headlight assembly. Call your dealer for pricing.

- Rob

·
1.888.JLEVISW
14,704 Posts
Rob Levinson * UUC Motorwerks said:
If the only problem is that the aim adjusting motor is burned out or stripped, then that is the only part you need to replace!
I was going to say...
Also, in response to Mpowered's comment, remember how the customer stated that Umnitza's new rings fixed the problem, but that the motor had already been burnt.

On another note Pete, after you fix it I suggest you upgrade to the non-interfering all new kit of Phosphyre Halos. They are thinner than the line between z4 styling and martian space crafts. Not only will they not come anywhere near your trim... They will allow full autoleveling, with brighter light output, no lightboxes, and ofcourse... NO MODIFICATIONS TO YOUR CAR! :D ;) (short of tapping into a wire)

They are in high, high demand right now, but who knows... a certain someone you know may have them in stock soon.....
JL

·
Registered
651 Posts
This thread upsets me a bit...

How can you expect the dealer to fix something YOU broke?! If you crashed your car into something you woudln't expect the dealer to fix it under your warranty, how is this any different? If you should be going after anyone for money it should be the people who sold you rings for xenons that didn't fit properly.

It's this mentality that the dealer should fix everything even when people's stupidity causes stuff to break that raises a red flag with the dealers even when mod's aren't causing problems.

Not only that but by trying to screw them out of new parts and installation cost, they are going to add that right on to the cost of the cars and you're only going to be screwing yourself over when you buy another one.

Thanks,
Adam

·
Registered
17 Posts
Damn Adam,

Take that stick out of your ass.

The point was when he drilled he felt he hadn't damaged anything. Also he didn't feel as if he needed all new xenons, which was confirmed.

Try to be nice, there is no reason for name calling.

C

·
Registered
45 Posts
Name calling?

cajms said:
Damn Adam,

Take that stick out of your ass.

The point was when he drilled he felt he hadn't damaged anything. Also he didn't feel as if he needed all new xenons, which was confirmed.

Try to be nice, there is no reason for name calling.

C
You're a poopiehead.

M

·
Site Sponsor
18,508 Posts
It's entirely likely that your motor burned out.

But, it's also possible that it just needs to be unplugged and replugged in. I've found this to be the case on a few occassions where the dealer would rather have you replace the unit than trouble shoot it.

It's just basic simplicity for them - have a tech spend $300 to fix a $20 part, or just say you need a new one and get $1500 for it.

Try unplugging the back top connection to the lights, then check the manual up and down movement on the lights with the screw driver. Just make sure nothing is blocking your way.

Often that's all it takes.

·
Registered
778 Posts
My Autoleveling was disabled.
Matt tried to get it to work for me and it still doesn't

Well who cares about autoleveling?!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.