BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last Friday I went for at AutoClub Speedway in Fontana, CA. Day started out cloudy and gray but after lunch became sunny and warm.

Since it was my 8th day of HPDE (4th day with BMW CCA) I requested run group "C" which is low intermediate. Much to my surprise when I opened the registration packet, I was assigned to run group "B" (high intermediate). "This must be a mistake!" I protested. But no, there simply was no "C" group on Friday. They had so many beginners that they created two "D" groups. Low and high intermediate drivers were mixed into one group, where the least experienced driver had done 4 track days and the most experienced drivers had done more than 20. But it wasn't crowded, perhaps only 16 to 18 student cars on a 2.8 mile track. The fastest drivers went into "A" where I dare not tread (and CCA would never let me).

It was great fun. Having driven two days on this track before, I know the layout but am still working out the best lines in 3 of the turns. My braking is quite inconsistent, my heel-toe downshifting not always smooth, and I often don't put the car at the limit of the (street) tires. So lots of stuff to work on.

Here are my hi-def (720p) videos from sessions 2 and 4. Session one was recorded only on my GoPro Hero Wide (not HD), so I'm not posting it because the video looks so bad compared to the HD clips. If you crank up the volume, you can often hear the instructor. Tips and suggestions would be welcome!

Session 2 with instructor "Corvette Martin"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UycuZDS3CF4

Session 4 with instructor "Steve" (driving starts at 4:45)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1K14Be4B2GA

·
Registered
183 Posts
Wow, the cars look like their on a sunday afternoon drive. I'm used to riding a motorcycle on that track with my elbow 12 inches from the wall at 170+, dragging knee going into the infield...Gawd I love that track.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I'm only a "C" driver and our group was mixed B and C students. Probably everyone was on street tires. The fastest I've ever gone on that track is 120 mph at the end of the front straight. The closest I've gotten to the outside wall is about 3 or 4 feet, but only after slowing down before turn 3 (into the infield). But I drive like a grandma, if grandma took her car to the track. And if I had the balls to keep accelerating into the banked turns my car would probably never get past 130 mph.

The "A" group and instructor session were obviously faster, but I'm not sure how much faster.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts