BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2005 BMW 330i ZHP Auto
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. Earlier today I was driving to work and was running a little behind schedule. I was driving quite spiritedly and stomped on the gas. It climbed up to 6,800 RMP but it kept going up! I immediately moved it to manual mode and shifted up into 2nd, but the tach did reach a little over 7,000. Now when I bought this car, it didn't like to up-shift and would sit at high RPM for a while before eventually shifting, but I thought this stopped when I did the "Adaptive Auto Transmission Reset Procedure." The car ran fine, threw no codes, and started again just fine. Another thing I should add is that on the drive home, I floored it to see what happened and it shifted right at redline in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.

Now here is what I think might be the problem. My TC and BRAKE lights are yellow, meaning I have to traction control, and flushing the brake fluid didn't fix it, so I won't know what the problem is until my scanner comes in the mail. My best guess is that a wheel was spinning so it didn't upshift, but don't automatic cars have rev limiters? I could be completely wrong, I'm just guessing. Sorry for the long-winded post I just got super freaked out when it happened and want to make sure it never happens again. Thanks!!

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
In most cars, this is pretty normal-
if your foot is on the floor, the car will
run to redline before it shifts. You can
'force' a shift by lifting off a little when you
want it to change gears.

And on everything BMW I own, the point
at which the engine limits revs is a few hundred
over the 'red line' on the tach.

I check it occasionally, just to make sure.

Buy a scanner, figure out why your lights are on.
It's a hobby that can become a compulsion...

t

1 - 2 of 2 Posts