E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have a 2000 pre-facelift 318i E46 with M43TUB19 engine and GM 4l30e steptronic transmission,
Suddenly a week ago while cruising at 100 km/h, I left my foot off the gas, and a jerk into the car body while tranny was down shifting occured, since then all shifts up and down are jerky as if the car jumps forward and then backward.

This transmission had never had fluid change, per dealership recommendation,
It did around 130000 km so far.

I checked with the mechanic, tranny oil level, it was less by 1.5 L, so he used kansler ATF dexron VI, I think this tranny uses dexron III, anyway, that was the available at the time, and it did not fix it, he then told me transmissions can not be fixed, and i will have to live with it.

I checked with the dealership, they did not find any computer faults, and the oil was in good shape according to them, so they recommended replacing the whole transmission.

So, what do you think the cause for that, and how can it be fixed, sure replacing the whole transmission is a very undesired costly option ?

Sorry for the long post, and thanks for your help in advance, Usually pretty much everything for this car is well covered, but i am clueless as i haven't found a thread talking about a similar issue, and local mechanic and dealership were not helpful either unfortunately.

· Super Moderator
2004 325i automagic
3,870 Posts
Dexron VI is the correct atf fluid for the gm transmissions, and it is backwards compatible with Dex III applications. Is the jerkiness the same after the refill with the new atf fluid? Was it refilled in two stages, one with the engine off and then a second stage with engine on and ATF fluid warmed to about 30C to 50C? If not it will be about 1.5 liters low again. Try shifting it 'manually' with the steptronic "M" mode, does it behave the same?

Also, why was it low to begin with? There must have been a leak somewhere if it was that low.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks man for replying,
Yes still jerky, even in manual mode,
However regarding the procedure the mechanic followed, he did the refill in one stage while the engine was running.
I have a leaky shift shaft seal, I am planning to change it soon, just waiting for the replacement part, may be that is the only leakage source, not sure.
Second check after a week, and oil level hasn***8217;t been reported for a decrease.
So I am not sure what is the cause for that jerk still.

· Administrator
2013 X1 M-sport
22,464 Posts
The mechanic telling you automatic transmissions cannot be fixed and the dealer telling you to buy a new transmission is typical, and both completely wrong. Find a tech that knows how to troubleshoot GM automatic transmissions, someone who actually knows WTF they***8217;re doing!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.