BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My trans was 2 months ago fully flushed without additives and serviced at ZF. Before the service it ran fine.
Recently I have the following problem, I'll try to be very specific:

In short
At normal acceleration, when trans/engine is hot only, the trans gives a jerk at 1500-1800rpm, 1/2 seconds after the gearshift, after 3rd and 4th gear. You can feel it happening like you randomly drop a clutch in a manual and you can see the rpm drop for 1 sec -100rpm.

Whut?
Light gass accelerating to 50km/h 30mph: start
>>>> 2nd gear>>>>3rd gear>>>small-jerk>>>>4th gear>>>>big-jerk

Car?

325i 2003/07 ZF transmission

When?
  • At D mode only, not in S and not in M
  • When engine and trans hot/warm only, it doen't occur when cold
  • Below 1800 rpm only
  • At sunday drive acceleration (25% throttle), it doesnt happen at more throttle because the shiftingpoint is then above 2000 rpm.

What have I tried to fix it?
  • Updated the trans and engine to the last firmwares.
  • Checked disa
  • Read it out with INPA: no codes, and the car runs perfect besides this.
  • No signs of trans fluid leakings under the car
  • New sparkplugs
  • New coils
  • Cleaned airfilter
  • Reset throttle reponse
  • Reset adaption values trans and engine (with INPA)

I tried to find the answer on the internet reading forums for days, but no succes.

·
Registered
2005 325i Auto
582 Posts
Could it be that the wrong spec fluid was used? That might introduce some hard shifting etc to a previously working box.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Could it be that the wrong spec fluid was used? That might introduce some hard shifting etc to a previously working box.
ZF fluid so you’d say they know what they’re doing because they are the manufacturer.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Today I got the following error from the transmission

RESULT:

Symptom Gangueberwachung

Error frequency : 1 Logistic counter: 32

km-Stand

Schaltung laeuft

Gangeinlegen

Letzte Schaltung: Hochschaltung 2->3

Getriebeoeltemperatur

Abbtriebsdrehzahl

173120.00 km

6.00 0/1

0.00 0/1

35.00 0-n

89.00 6 88.00

Grad C

1/min

translation:
RESULT: 49 Symptom of gait monitoring Error frequency: 1 Logistic counter: 32 mileage Circuit is running Shift into gear Last shift: upshift 2-> 3 Gear oil temperature Output speed 173 120.00 km 6.00 0/1 0.00 0/1 35.00 0-n 89.00 6 88.00 Degree C 1 / min

·
Registered
2005 325i Auto
582 Posts
ZF fluid so you’d say they know what they’re doing because they are the manufacturer.
Well yes, you'd say that but the box is now not working properly since the service.

Even the best workshops screw up time to time, and in this case checking from the ground up would eliminate a simple mistake. I'm betting more on the level being wrong.

·
Registered
31 Posts
1) Confused about checking the fluid level cold!? Thought hot was right, with the engine running, and fluid just at the fill hole. I know that's right for a 6hp-19, but not for a 5hp-19 like in the OP's car?
2) Drive it no more till the problem is identified. "Big jerk" = service immediately.
3) Call ZF and talk to the servicer from 2 months ago.
4) Curious as to how the decision to "Fully flush" was decided.

·
Registered
E46 '04 330Ci convertible 765 K km
1,536 Posts
ZF 5HP19 manual clearly says to check level at 40 C - at that temperature with engine running fluid suppose to flow out of the hole. If transmission was refilled at temperature hotter than 40 C, it gets underfilled, as ATF expanded. Difference between 40 C and 70 C is 1 L of ATF, which is significant.

·
Registered
31 Posts
ZF 5HP19 manual clearly says to check level at 40 C - at that temperature with engine running fluid suppose to flow out of the hole. If transmission was refilled at temperature hotter than 40 C, it gets underfilled, as ATF expanded. Difference between 40 C and 70 C is 1 L of ATF, which is significant.
Yes not cold, but not hot either. 40 C on the pan.(y)

·
Registered
2005 325i Auto
582 Posts
Really? Does it expand that much??

Not saying you are wrong, but if I'm correct that box holds about 9-10L, so 1L difference between 40-70 seems a lot. If that is true it's even a bit more than significant, you'd call that critical almost.

Ambient temp here is 26-30C at the moment, so I'd be best off starting it cold and topping it off.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So you guys are suggesting to add more fluid? I contacted ZF and they're suggesting to trade the whole gearbox for a new one...

·
Registered
2005 325i Auto
582 Posts
So you guys are suggesting to add more fluid? I contacted ZF and they're suggesting to trade the whole gearbox for a new one...
So you've done it at ZF, so lets assume they used the right fluid.

Just get it on stands and check the level with the motor running. Won't cost a cent, and definitely not a new gearbox to try that first.

·
Registered
2005 325i Auto
582 Posts
I will ^^ and come back with the result

Thanks for the input guys!
Just noticed you're in Australia.

At our ambient temps you need to do it from dead cold apparently. Have that mongrel fill plug loose before you start, mine was stupid tight. If you have a helper in the drivers seat, trans in park, start the motor and immediately top it off until it's trickling out. Motor off, plug in, job done. If it's got too much in it, let it run to a thin trickle then button it up.

Mind you I'm doing mine for the first time today, so I'm only parroting. @MrMCar will pull me up if I'm incorrect. He's done a few more of these.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just noticed you're in Australia.

At our ambient temps you need to do it from dead cold apparently. Have that mongrel fill plug loose before you start, mine was stupid tight. If you have a helper in the drivers seat, trans in park, start the motor and immediately top it off until it's trickling out. Motor off, plug in, job done.

Mind you I'm doing mine for the first time today, so I'm only parroting. @MrMCar will pull me up if I'm incorrect. He's done a few more of these.
My VPN is still turned on, i'm from the Netherlands mate XD, but thanks for the advice

·
Registered
2005 325i Auto
582 Posts
My VPN is still turned on, i'm from the Netherlands mate XD, but thanks for the advice
Sneaky bugger!

That's payback for me staggering up and down your streets and in/out of your coffee shops as a young backpacker.

I did wonder about there being an actual ZF workshop down here.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts