BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have automatic transmission and I want to change the myrtle wood shifter that I currently have. Look at the picture below, it's a MOMO shifter that has no buttons or anything on it, just a shifter piece. Will this work for my car that currently has automatic transmission? Anybody with automatic transmission, do you have to use the button to switch gears?

i've been trying to get some answers for a couple days and different people have been telling me different things. :tsk: I NEED ONE STRAIGHT ANSWER!! :ben:

·
Registered
243 Posts
The button mechanism is part of original shifter, so if you install shifter without button - it will work.

Be sure new shifter will fit :)

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks. any other personal experience with this topic? Anybody? More than one response would assure me of the answer..

·
Registered
266 Posts
I ran a similar knob on my Steptronic and here is what I found. There are 2 safety mechanisms on our auto transmissions. There is the button on the shifter and the brake pedal. If you put a manual shift knob on your steptronic it will work just fine. Contrary to what most will tell you, you cannot bump the shifter into reverse while you are driving. The only potential problem would be if you are braking and bumped the shifter from drive into reverse. Not very likely but thought that you should know.

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

:wow: to Kent50! I've been waiting to hear this kind of response for a long time now. Thanks a lot man. One more question for you Kent50, did you simply pull and tug really hard on the current shifter to take it out? What is the "button" connceted to? How do I deal with that? Any pictures of your install?

can't wait to get this done so i can match w/ the new interior trim :pimpin:

·
Registered
266 Posts
No problem bro.

The shifter just pulls off. It's easier if you put it in drive to remove it. Sometimes they are a real pain to remove so be patient and keep pulling. Be carefull because once it lets go theres nothing holding it back. Some people have hit themselves in the forehead removing the knob. The shift knob has a rod connected to the button. The rod just sits down inside the shifter. The knob and rod pulls out in one piece, nothing to disconnect inside.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts