BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen many people who have changed their shift nob on an auto box...does anyone know whether it's possible to fit a manula nob on an Auto "stick", and also do we really need the button there as on the OEM gear nob? Can anyone tell me the process of taking off a auto gear nob?

Cheers
:dunno:

·
SBBMotorwerks
557 Posts
I have not yet done it, i was planning on going to the ACS knob an ebrake eventually

·
Registered
344 Posts
hamann 330Ci said:
u just pull as hard as u can upwards and it will come off .......and it's not necessary to have the safety button.........
How can we change from D to R or P without the button???

·
Registered
344 Posts
///M3Matt said:

put your foot on the brake and put it in gear:thumbup:
I cant do it without pressing the button, once I put the gear to D and then when I want to change it to R or P, I have to press the button, without pressing the button, the gear will stuck at N!!! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

How do you guys do it???:dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

·
Alpha Male
6,563 Posts
Bezita said:

I cant do it without pressing the button, once I put the gear to D and then when I want to change it to R or P, I have to press the button, without pressing the button, the gear will stuck at N!!! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

How do you guys do it???:dunno: :dunno: :dunno:
With the auto shift knob in place you NEED to press the button.

With a manual knob there's no need.

To test it out try removing the auto knob and try shifting with just the gear selector lever.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Clem said:

With the auto shift knob in place you NEED to press the button.

With a manual knob there's no need.

To test it out try removing the auto knob and try shifting with just the gear selector lever.
ohhhhh i c....., know I get it.... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: hehehe why I didnt think of that...?!?! :banghead: :tsk:

So I can change the knob with manual's then? is the lever threads the same size with manual's????? If so, I might get the oem brushed Aluminium knob :D

·
Alpha Male
6,563 Posts
Bezita said:

ohhhhh i c....., know I get it.... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: hehehe why I didnt think of that...?!?! :banghead: :tsk:

So I can change the knob with manual's then? is the lever threads the same size with manual's????? If so, I might get the oem brushed Aluminium knob :D
You're better off going with an aftermarket knob that uses "set screws" to hold the knob onto the shift lever. OEM knobs are held on by clips and may rotate.

·
Banned
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I really want to give it a go..but am afriad of breaking the whole thing..I almost break the handbreak level when I tried to pull it off:D ...it'd be really helpful if someone could post some DIY pictures of this...of even better...video clips..am I asking too much? hehehe:bow:

·
I know all about that...
2,207 Posts
The main thing that has kept me from putting a manual knob on my auto is that without that button to lock it out of reverse and park when your driving it seems like it would be easy if your just resting your hand on it when your driving to slide it in one of those gears, correct me if I'm wrong?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Orient Blue 3 said:
The main thing that has kept me from putting a manual knob on my auto is that without that button to lock it out of reverse and park when your driving it seems like it would be easy if your just resting your hand on it when your driving to slide it in one of those gears, correct me if I'm wrong?
Just put drive in S/D mode all the time

·
Banned
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Orient Blue 3 said:
if you are driving an auto then why would you want to shift the gear ito reverse? hehehe...and why woud you rest your hand on the knob anyway?:D

·
I know all about that...
2,207 Posts
Banjo said:

Just put drive in S/D mode all the time
I have a full automatic, so thats not possible. The shifts are all in a straight line. I do have the steptronic shift plate and shift boot though, but that doesn't change anything.

Blue330cic: I saying if it slips, not on purpose lol. Some people like to drive like that, I'm not saying I do but I'm just saying someone wanting to change knobs might drive like that and end up dropping their tranny. Unless there is another lockout BMW makes besides the button, which is what I'm trying to figure out. Who wants to test it? :D

·
Registered
344 Posts
How do you actually remove the knob???:dunno:

Just twist anti-clockwise?? :confused: can anyone confirm this? I dont want to break it...!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts