E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
///Andrew Alewine
4,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay guys, there is somthing wrong here. I know it takes force, i know it takes alot of power to get the autoshift knob off. But beleive me, with my friends and I all trying we've put at least 200 pounds PLUS onto this shifter pullingwize. I've even devised a new way to work at it so you don't hit your face.

Lean your Passanger Seat all the way back.
Lay backdown on the seat with your feat aimed towards the rear seats.
Get a good grip of the thing while the Key is in 1 or 2 Position.
Put in Drive or Neutral. And pull it like you're pulling somthing over your shoulder with everything you've got.

I've done this manuver as a last resort with me doing this and my friend standing up on driver side pulling as well. and anotehr in the back seat pulling from the bottom. We've been working at it for about 3 hours. Don't tell me it's cause of lack of strengh, as far as strength go my arms are well over qualified for this.

I was thinking that the previous owner of this car might have pulled it off while somthing happend during traffic and perhaps glued it down. So I thought of this and got a Blow Dryer and tried to expand the leather and see if that work.. Not a chance. The leather felt seemingly hot to touch so I put a glove on to pull and yet the results did not change at all. It didn't move 1 MM Upward. Does anyone find it odd that I cannot even twist or turn the automatic shift knob sideways? I hear if you twist it you can break it, so in my relentless angerfull atempts i just didn't give a **** anymore and tried to twist it as hard as I could but I could barely twist it 1mm either. That thing is stuck on there. The only way I can see it coming off is a god damn saw or somthing.

Has anyone had this problem or any advise from here?

·
is on da floor
2,742 Posts
AssassinGT said:
Okay guys, there is somthing wrong here. I know it takes force, i know it takes alot of power to get the autoshift knob off. But beleive me, with my friends and I all trying we've put at least 200 pounds PLUS onto this shifter pullingwize. I've even devised a new way to work at it so you don't hit your face.

Put in Drive or Neutral. And pull it like you're pulling somthing over your shoulder with everything you've got.

I've done this manuver as a last resort with me doing this and my friend standing up on driver side pulling as well. and anotehr in the back seat pulling from the bottom. We've been working at it for about 3 hours. Don't tell me it's cause of lack of strengh, as far as strength go my arms are well over qualified for this.

I was thinking that the previous owner of this car might have pulled it off while somthing happend during traffic and perhaps glued it down. So I thought of this and got a Blow Dryer and tried to expand the leather and see if that work.. Not a chance. The leather felt seemingly hot to touch so I put a glove on to pull and yet the results did not change at all. It didn't move 1 MM Upward. Does anyone find it odd that I cannot even twist or turn the automatic shift knob sideways? I hear if you twist it you can break it, so in my relentless angerfull atempts i just didn't give a **** anymore and tried to twist it as hard as I could but I could barely twist it 1mm either. That thing is stuck on there. The only way I can see it coming off is a god damn saw or somthing.

I have no clue about automatic, but my manual knob that just simply clicked in when pushed down (bought car without a shift knob) is a B!TCH to get out! perhaps try hacking it up if you dont want to salvage it? after all that you have been though, i would of gotten out the cutting tools.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
took me about 5 HARD tries and im a fairly little fella, your glue theory is possible as well which would make it near impossible.

·
///Andrew Alewine
4,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cecil328i said:
took me about 5 HARD tries and im a fairly little fella, your glue theory is possible as well which would make it near impossible.
I see. Well, hmm if Only somoene had a cutaway of one of the Auto Shift knobs. i'd get the sizes for it and dremel that son of a biitch off. I already have the new shifter and I'm not about to let it just sit here and let it go to waste. My only hope is that i'm waiting till tomorrow morning that the transmission metal might have gone back down in size from the warmth of expansion due to driving. If it doesn't work then... Maybe i'll try having the dealer do somthing about it.. or would they even bother?

·
-not a mod-
21,081 Posts
Try driving your car for a bit and get it warmed up.. I pulled and twisted with mine, and it came off after a few good tries

·
Registered
12 Posts
AssassinGT said:

I had the same problem. I pulled and pulled and the damn thing wouldn't come off. I too bought a new auto shift knob and I could hardly wait to put it on. The way I got it off was using my legs. Position youself in a way that you can have your right or your left arm right on your right leg while you are grabbing the knob with both hands. Then like doing a calf raise push up your thigh with your arm on it and in no time the knob will come off. This is better than hitting yourself in the face. Hope this helps.

·
///Andrew Alewine
4,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
lol I don't think it's coming off. Tried this morning, ate a couple protein bars and energy drinks to get a little extra boost to get that mofo off. That **** is stuck down GOOD.

·
Registered
671 Posts
you're squeezing the button at the same time right?

·
Registered
206 Posts
L-I-B said:
you're squeezing the button at the same time right?
:eeps:

·
///Andrew Alewine
4,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Went to my friends house who he previously did that on his BMW, him and I both could not get it off. There for I am just sure that the previous owner theory is true, that thing is stuck down permenently. Does anyone know if the dealership has some tool of removing it?

·
///Andrew Alewine
4,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What if it was already lose and he accidently removed it all the time? Wouldn't you think that's a nuisance? And if he didnt know how to mod a car he probably just glued it down.

·
Registered
299 Posts
AssassinGT said:
What if it was already lose and he accidently removed it all the time? Wouldn't you think that's a nuisance? And if he didnt know how to mod a car he probably just glued it down.
I agree man, usually i have a touch for taking it off, but that **** wont come off! I took the 5 series knob off after a lil tug, but this was way too ****ing hard!!! :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts