E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum here. I already searched high and low for the answer to my problem, but I'm struggling.

I just purchased a 2004 BMW 330xi w/o Premium Package. It has the rain sensor, but not the auto dimming rear view mirror. My old car is a 2003 BMW 325xi w/ Premium Package, it has the rain sensor and the auto dimming mirror.

I want to retrofit the auto dimming mirror from the 03 325xi into the 04 330xi. I went ahead and looked it up online and made the swap. I can confirm that the auto dimming mirror works in the old car, as I tested it by covering the light sensor. Both harnesses have 7 inbound wires, in slots 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 9 and 10. If the wiring is the same, and the mirror fits, why does it not auto dim in the new car?

The only thing I can think of is that even though the wiring uses the same pins, the schematic is different for the two. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for the long writeup, I can post pics or more info if needed.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
It may be something that has to be enabled through PA Soft 1.4 or some other programming tool.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I thought about that, but I can't find any information that suggests auto dimming has to be enabled, or that it can be disabled. :(

I'm going to purchase a voltmeter and see if I can get to the bottom of it. From my knowledge, pins 1, 2 and 3 are some combination of power, switch and ground. 4/5 and 9/10 seem to loop back into themselves for the two optical sensors.

I will post my results after. If I'm ambitious, with pics! :)

EDIT: I'm an idiot. The 03 harness has wires in pins 6 and 8, for a total of nine. I'm pretty sure when I get a voltmeter I'll confirm those as switched power/ground.
:D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts