E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Just wanted to put a little warning out on the ether. Auto gearbox on my e46 330i died, requiring a complete rebuild. Following rebuild there was still an overheating problem.
Turns out that the auto gearbox cooler had broken down internally, allowing coolant and gearbox oil to mix.
I hadn't noticed signs while doing my checks. So just to let everyone with an auto box might just be worth changing yours, had to change radiator aswell and a full flush.
Scoot

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah that is what happened with mine. Pulled it to pieces after it was replaced to find quite a bit of corrosion internally

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
5,548 Posts
I've not seen internal failures of the trans/coolant heat exchanger, but now have read here twice.

You can by/pass and use a oil/air cooler as was commonly fitted to the older cars.
Albeit more difficult than factory.

I would suggest a new cooler/mount plate/trans cooler thermostat and new transmission cooler lines.
ALL IN GENUINE.

Would be good for at least another 100,000 miles.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The shop which sorted my box, changed radiator, cooler, viscous coupler and thermostat. Don't remember anything about the cooler lines in conversation with them or on the bill but it all went wrong at 120k

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
5,548 Posts
Usually it's the lines that let go first.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts