BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone who's got an auto box out there - do you feel some kind of resistence when the auto box downshifts itself from 2nd gear to 1st gear? It's hard to explain that feeling but kind of done not very smoothly....the car is only 1200m...1 month old...and it only happens when slowing down the car slowly..like approaching a speed bump or traffic light...if break harsh then this does not happen...why?:dunno:

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
normally if you leave it in sport mode it will sit in 2. (if i remember correctly from my 330ci) i dont think u need to go to 1st unless you want to launch the car.

·
Banned
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
sorry forgot to mention it happens in D mode...haven't tried the S mode though...it's like a newbie driving a manual car who downshifts from 2nd to 1 at higher speed...you know...like jerky and shaking feeling...very short....

·
Registered
19 Posts
Auto 2-1 downshift not smooth?

Ok - same problems here - on an auto transmission on E46, when approaching a stop sign or stop light or generally slowing down, the downshift from 2nd to 1st is very jerky - it's very annoying and not smooth at all.

Has anyone else had this problem on an automatic E46? (2002 325ci in this case..) It's so annoying now that sometimes i'll put the car into Neutral as I approach the stop light so that it never downshifts 2 to 1. I have not tried this in Sport mode but in normal Drive it sucks.

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Mike

·
Registered
330 Posts
I've never thought that ANY automatic transmission made smooth downshifts, esp into first gear.

If you want smooth 2-1 shifts, rev match a manual or use SMG.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Never had that problem with my '02 step. All downshifts and upshifts are smooth.

Although I'd have to say that I spend 50% in sport mode and 50% in manual mode.

Have you taken it in to have it checked out? Doesn't sound normal to me.

·
Banned
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
guys, my problem has been solved by a visit to dealer as they reprogrammed the graebox software with an updated version. If your car is still under warranty then pay a visit to your dealer.:thumbup:

·
Registered
198 Posts
had to take my 330 twice for that same problem.
just got back my Z4 for the same problem but apparently, they didnt fix it. have to make another appointment.

·
Registered
19 Posts
so the consensus is people HAVE had the problem in a few noted cases and they took it to the dealer? I only ask becuase setting ANYTHING up for something like this is a royal pain in the A** and they will end up saying "oh nothing is wrong, it's normal.." meaning I lose a day w/o the car, i lose time to take care of it, and i get nothing solved.......

ALSO - i tried to take my car to a dealer nearby for another warranty fix (separate issue) and they said THEY WOULD NOT take me because he had a line of other repairs for months. He would only take me if i had bought the car at his dealer. Any othe warranty repairs need to go to the dealer you bought the car from - AM I GETTING SCREWED by that nearby dealer?

(i bought the car from BMW Manhattan/NYC but live in Maryland...the rude dealer was VOB BMW in Virginia....but another dealer is also nearby i haven't talked to yet...)

Any comments??? THANKS!!!!!!

Mike

·
Registered
19 Posts
THANK YOU!!! that was exactly what i'm talking about - i will call a dealer tomorrow and ask to get fixed under warranty. The big question is will they do it even though i didn't buy the car from them? i can't believe VOB BMW of Virginia denied me service on a separate warranty fix.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts